Author Topic: lcd ight  (Read 150 times)

Offline dickwol

• Poaster
lcd ight
« on: Sep 07, 2003, 08:47 AM »
I have an older pc which had a low end pentium 3 processor. The motherboard went bad and so I had a repair shop replace it with a fairly inexpensive MSI board with an Athlon /Duron processor. After getting the machine back I now notice that the LCD light which used to indicate hardrive activity no longer lights up. It's no big deal but it was nice to have. The other peculiar thing is that the red light on my Microsoft mouse now refuses to go out when I shut the system down. If I unplug the mouse and plug it back in when the system is off then the light will stay off. However, a shutdown keeps it on. I'm sure that it used to go out with the old motherboard. Should I take the system back to the shop to have them correct this or is this now the "nature of the beast"?  thks.    

Offline query

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
Re:lcd ight
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2003, 09:03 AM »
On the former problem, it sounds like they got the polarity of the drive activity LED wrong - look for it near the rest of the front-panel connectors, and reverse its connection and the LED will work (unless of course the LED itself is defective).

The other issue is that the USB port may be getting some power even with the system power turned off - nothing to worry about there.  You can fix that issue with a power strip (turn off the switch, which will kill the power to the system entirely).

Offline dickwol

• Poaster
Re:led ight
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2003, 01:50 PM »
Thank you for the response. Yes, the polarity on the HDD Led cable was reversed. Nice to see HDD activity once again. On the situation with the light that will not go out on my optical mouse I'm still a bit puzzled. I have one of those adapters on the plug and its plugged into the ps/2 mouse port. When I removed the adapter and tried it in the USB port Windows 98 tried to build a drive database but the mouse doesn't seem to want to work there. Like you said, I'm sure it's not a big deal. The bulb will probably last several years even being on continuosly.