• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Power supply / Converter

Started by Snowlock, March 17, 2003, 18:35 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowlock

I have a feeling I might be posting this on the wrong forum, simply because of the technical level, if so I would appreciate a website / forum of where I can get some answers. Thnx.

So I have inherited a dying laptop from a friend and now I am replacing what is dead because it is a nice little laptop. The main problem is that the battery (new) is not charging at all. About a year ago the AC power stopped charging the battery and from the general description I got, "it" was replaced. I am assuming 'it' was some sort of internal power converter to charge the battery. My question is generally what am I looking for. I cracked the case open to fix a few other things and figure I might as well replace the converter. I have the know how to replace, resolder etc. All I really need to know is what am I looking for. Photos of the MB can be put up if needed.

The laptop runs fine with the AC power converter cord, but a laptop that is immobile is generally useless.

query

The answer depends on the make and model of the notebook.  Some have separate power boards, while others have the circuitry integrated onto the system board itself.

If it is a separate power board, it is almost always at the terminal end of the power connector inside the notebook.  If that connector is on the system board, chances are the whole board must be replaced to repair a faulty power board.