• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Monarchs are bugs

Started by Ace, July 24, 2002, 17:08 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

Well, my nightmares have come true.

Set up the new computer I received from Monarch Computer Systems in GA this morning; booted up fine, everything looked good
until
it came to the initial XP registration/activation.

Product key for XP Home on label they provided was not recognized by MS.  Naturally, only option is none.. you shut it down.

Contacted Monarch tech support; first response was to call Microsoft, they'd provide the "activation code" needed.  Well.  Went through piracy number to support number to XP support number; 3 numbers, 3 people.  All said it's Monarch's responsibility to provide product key that's right, and will work.

Last call to XP support said they're only recourse is to record name/badge of tech support who way Monarch won't/isn't/can't.  Tried to CALL Monarch; 2 calls, 5 minutes per wait, no answer in site from tech support...  Emailed them back; asked me if label matched disk as far as being Home or Pro edition; did, both Home.

Just went online to re-send yet another tech support request (pointing out it's THEIR move and there is only one that's appropriate...).  So have been bounced between a rock and an immovable monolith.  

No idea what's next; I had voiced my concern over just this scenario (knowing XP's extreme registration sensitivities) but was pretty much assured by CS that things would be fine after they installed.  Obviously, not.  

Otherwise, waiting for Godot. and Monarch technical division to move.  Figuring Godot might appear first.

Ace; no joy in muddville.
Ring bells for service.

pat

Well that stinks.
Do they send out a restore disk or an OEM version of windows? Does it come preloaded with extras?
Can they send you a new OEM disk with the numbers still attached?
Of course you might have to reinstall windows.
Play hardball tell them you are going to call your credit card company and cancel payment.
Tell em you are packing it back up right now.
That is what I told Q when I first got mine and was having trouble, they got me going again and credited me an extra 50.00 for my trouble.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

K. Roberts

That's one advantage of building your own, if it don't work you know who to talk too. I would follow Pat's suggestion.
Keith

Joanie

Hey Ace,

I agree with Pat, it all stinks and if you tell them your getting in touch with your credit card company and calling the Better Business Bureau you will get a reaction from them.  

Like Pat said tell them your going to pack it up. If this is an example of what you can expect as far as service goes I think you can do much better.

What a Bummer.

Joanie

scuzzy

Ace,

I agree with previous reply - you're going to have to play hardball with those goofballs. A call to your CC company may very well be in order.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

dcsun

Sorry to hear that you're having problems with your new system.  I wasn't here for the other system's problems, but it sounds like it wasn't a 'feel good experience' either.  Maybe you're cursed or something!  Hope you get some answers from the company and that you're able to get your system up and running soon.

Dave

Ace

Thanks; the Poasters Emergency Response team is in fine stead.  Definitely had planned the CC unplug process.  

Got it going... something Microsoft rep said made me think (again); asked me if any of the characters might be an "8" instead of a "B".  I had already looked them over 10 times or so, and they looked the same.  Tried one today that was
nearly identical to the first, as an 8.  Well, guess what; it took.  

Inadvertently, by giving me the run around ("go call Microsoft") it did lead to a delayed reaction solution.  Still think it's shabby they didn't figure to deal with it in their own domain as required.  Last communique they sent was a question of if the label and disk matched up as Home or Pro edition, which I answered.  I did another email, then a web-tech support repeat request, and left a message on their machine when I got home (with no reaction as yet) but also just sent the pre-emptive "all's clear" email to tech to say it did register/install.  I had to bail at the desktop but looked ok at that point.  Couldn't register on internet since I have to reinstall Earthlink (and do a manual dialer first).  Hope the Microsoft Pirate Hunters aren't waiting for me when I get back to it...

Guess I am still partly deaf in that eye.  But criminy, Microsoft could definitely use a distinct font/larger label for something so critical.  

Ace; over and out till I reconnect. With reality. :P
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

Ace-E-I-O-U,

I'm sorry I didn't think to give you that advice, as I've had the same problem with MS serial numbers. You're right that they could come up with a better font. I'm happy you got the problem resolved.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

pat

Hey Ace
Glad to here you got that all figured out.
I was ready to call out the Poasters Calvary.

But instead I?ll just give you this as a computer warming present.  

Hope this helps,
pat
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Ace

Besides staring at them intently through the trifocals, I even took my glasses off to view them up close and personal JUST TO BE SURE THE DANG THINGS WERE RIGHT DANGIT and still could not see the difference... I would have to think MS gets that at least on occasion, to ask... Wish I could've spotted it, then.  

Sorry for yelling; you're probably deaf in that eye, now, too.

I only got as far as the desktop, which naturally was in XP mode which naturally I've never seen before which was startling.  Weird that you don't get a "shut down" screen; it just does, after choosing that.  Probably will spend 3 or 4 days just creating color combinations as I tend to, a lot.  The desktop itself was a pleasant green hill/blue sky Tele-tubbie like backdrop, thank goodnessedly void of them.

I know the sound works too, as the XP background music played while I screamed at the screen and asked it what the matter with it, was.

Monarch did respond today; tech support asked for further info but told them things looked cleared up.  Also had emailed a sales rep who'd corresponded earlier, and he expressed his regrets and pleasure in having it finally take.  It's funny; talking to Microsoft reps I found them all competent, and patient, and empathic although you can tell they sorta think "we're Microsoft, and you're not" plus they sure weren't gonna supercede the builder's faux pas.  So fairly pleasant, and informative, but "removed."  Confuses them, apparently, on just which division handles what.  

So; punching my line:  only criticism I have of Monarch was in them being unavailable/unresponsive during the lull in the afternoon, and not going immediately to a diagnostic stage which I expected and could have nipped this.  My errors are obvious, and exacerbated the condition.  MS was the monolothic conglomerate mega-size larger than life immovable force, who watched from afar but didn't want to get involved, at least not until push came to taking names.

Ace; Can't imagine what's next... so far, so. And yes, Pat, those would help.  Or just go straight for the margaritas..

Ring bells for service.

Joanie

Dear Ace,

You can borrow my Gabby for a day, but only for a day. She will pick up your spirits and make you feel better in no time.

You must be greatly relieved the registration number or letter has been resolved and you can now carry on with the business of setting things up.

Joanie

scuzzy

Joanie,

You could at least pour punch in the bowl. No doubt it would improve the taste of the cat.

scuzzy

Ace,

I see you got your ISP installed in the flutterby.

Joanie

Yo Kitty Kat,

Never thought to fill up the bowl with punch or some other libation. Do you think Gabby would float on top of a few Margaritas. Aceio undoubtedly needs something like that at this time.

Joanie

scuzzy

I'm certain that if you add margaritas, she'll think she's floating.