• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Quantex comeback ?

Started by Bubba, October 08, 2009, 23:00 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba

I still have my ole'  266 PII Quantex,, it is sorta' in pieces, but was thinking if I wanted to tinker,,,, is it possible to put a new modern motherboard in the ole' girl ? And add components as budget allows, to bring it back to life  to today's horsepower  standards ?  I like the big bulky Q case,,, like fixing up an old Buick.
Like Grandpa used to say, "maybe there ain't nothin' wrong, but, somethin' aint' right."

scuzzy

As I recall, that was a standard ATX form factor. You should be able to do what you want, but you'll probably have to replace nearly every single component to get it working again.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Bubba

Thanks again Scuzzy,,,, I have a another MotherBoard on the shelf [ only damage is the LAN port is dead ]  also 2 gig of DDR ramm, 2 rom drives, but they are SATA, need to check board for SATA ports, SB Audigy sound card,  Nvidia  6800 video card, and other components,, just need a bigger PS, CPU/fan and bigger hard drive, then I  can get the ole girl running loud and proud.
Like Grandpa used to say, "maybe there ain't nothin' wrong, but, somethin' aint' right."

Bubba

I guess my real question is, can I use the the ole' Quantex tower, with any of today's motherboards,,,  ??? Most any board will fit ?

Just thought it would be neat to build a sleeper, or a "frame-off" restoration.

Bill

Any standard ATX form MB should work.

Bill

Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

pat

Simple check would be to measure the board that's in there against the one you want to use or check the measurements of the standoffs to the mounting holes of the new board.

I was going to do the same thing with my old Q case, but it was so yellowed from time, I decided not to.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Bubba

Come on Pat,,,, stick with it,,, this board was built around the Quantex,,, maybe a lil' bleach will whiten' up your old Q' !!!
Let's start now, with a SAVE the Q effort !

Bubba

I think I may have found a hiccup with the Q restoration,,, the Start/on-off button in the Q chassis has a 4 pin 4 wire connector to original MB,,, the ASUS  MB I have looks like it will mount, but it only has a 2 wire 2 pin connector for pwr. Looks like the ole' Q switch is an on off switch, not a momentary contact switch,,,, ?????????