• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

GPS question

Started by LugwidVanB, August 19, 2009, 14:19 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

LugwidVanB

In my job I do a lot of traveling to outlying areas. Thus, I decided to try a GPS and after looking around I chose Garmin because it appears to have the edge over TomTom. On the net I found what I thought was one of their latest models for the price, a nuvi 750 for $169 at Walmart. The 205W is listed at $139. I went to the local store and saw several GPS's in a display case, including some by Garmin. None had a model number so I told the clerk I wanted the $169 one. I got home and discovered it was the 205W. (right, I was too dumb to look at the box with the number staring at me)  I put it in the car just to try it and the thing is terrific. Next day I returned it and they said store prices are different than net prices because Walmart gives you a better price on the net in an effort to get people to use that way of buying stuff. So I ordered the 750 since it has a lot more features than the 205W, such as bluetooth and the directions voice calls out the street names. I am awaiting shipment but just discovered the 750 is a discontinued model!

I was wondering why and does this mean it may have problems? I'd appreciate any feedback since that is a lot of $ to dish out for a very nice toy. Actually, the 205W is adequate with a large screen and clear voice directions. Thanks,

Tom

LugwidVanB

Thanks JA. So I hope I can use you in the future when I get 'lost'? This thing is addictive. It will take a week to get here and I'm thinking about it every day. I never thought I would get so worked up over a toy. It has great practical value though. I had to leave the downtown freeway the other day bec my gas light came on. It took me 20 min in heavy traffic to find a gas pump and another 20 min to find my way back to the freeway. The Garmin is like having your own personal female companion there to keep  you on the straight and narrow. I read you can go to the Garmin web site and dl different voices, including an Australian female. I can see the downside to this now. When I get lonely and blue I'm going to get in the car and drive all over town listening to this Aussie chick telling me where to go! If it would only hurry up and get here. Thanks, Tom

scuzzy

You know, I wouldn't mind having an "Aussie chick" telling me where to go and how to get there.

Scuzzy; now I'm gonna have to buy one of these things.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

LugwidVanB

Now if only they put her on the screen showing her ears. Wow, but no question I'd wreck the car fast.

Buffalo2102

Quote from: LugwidVanB on August 20, 2009, 07:52 hrs
The Garmin is like having your own personal female companion there to keep  you on the straight and narrow.

No - it's not.  If it was like that you would get lost.  Women can't read maps.  Just like men can't do more than one thing at a time.

Buff; not multitasking.....
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

LugwidVanB

I think it might be nice getting lost with an Aussie chick.

scuzzy

Hmmm. LugwidV makes a valid point. Of course, so does Buff.

Scuzzy; as a cop, my dispatchers tell me where to go.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Bill

Any of them Aussie Chicks?

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

LugwidVanB

These things are moving so fast they now have a Garmin out with speech recognition. I don't know how good it is but it is to eliminate the need to type in your destination, risking death if you don't pull off the road first. It attaches to your steering wheel just like cruise control. You press a button with your thumb when you want to talk to the Aussie chick. Wow, but it is very pricey, she doesn't come cheap. They also have a 5 inch screen but the price comes in about 5 figures.

scuzzy

Quote from: Bill on August 24, 2009, 07:47 hrs
Any of them Aussie Chicks?

Bill

None are Aussie, but they are all knock-outs. I love listening to them throughout my shift.

Scuzzy; one in particular.  :o

LugwidVanB

And if your wife finds you will be arrested and the gps will be useless.

Bill

Actually the GPS could tell you if you are on the top or bottom bunk.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

scuzzy

Or it will help me find my way to the dog house.

Scuzzy; ruff.

LugwidVanB

The toy finally got here. I've been playing with it for hours. You get a free complete map, I guess of the entire U.S., as an initial update. That took hours to dl and install. I then went to a site directed to by Garmin to dl audio books. You get the first 3 months for $7.50 each month which is good for one book. There are 60,000 books in every conceivable category with all the big authors so there is plenty to chose from. The books are then dl onto the gps device which also takes awhile. I'm in the process of dl my first book. You can cancel the membership at any time, including at the end of the trial period, with no additional charge. Very good deal. Next, I found the Aussie chick. Her name is Karen. She is available along with a British chick which I also dl. It appears these 'speciality voices' are fairly simple to install and use, and best of all they are free. They even had one on a site not associated with Garmin that is x rated. I don't think I want that distraction while driving!! So far so good. It is very smooth but I will find out how the thing works in getting me around the big city tomorrow.

LugwidVanB

After reading over 200 positive reviews of the Garmin the last thing I expected was that it would give wrong directions. After 2 weeks I'm ready to return it or toss it out the window when a tractor trailer is on my bumper. First, the thing has an aversion for freeways. It tells me to get off the freeway when I know the thing is wrong. And I got lost in a rural town a few days ago when I left the main road then tried to get back on. I have to continue to rely on mapquest which makes the Garmin nearly useless. I don't know if this is a defective unit, perhaps not fully connecting to the satellites, or a software problem. Whatever the problem it is very disappointing and frustrating. Any ideas? JA do you have this problem?

Tom