• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

xp is hiding my documents

Started by LugwidVanB, July 02, 2009, 09:49 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

LugwidVanB

I got this new computer and the guy who sold it to me said he had wiped the drive clean and reinstalled xp. I transferred all my docs to the xp directory via windows explorer. I then find I have 3 or 4 seemingly identical directories, labeled My Computer, My Documents, etc. So I tried to organize everything into a single folder, deleting each as I went along. I then found no directory with documents on it so I went to the Recycle Bin and restored everything I deleted. Now the directories have the correct space and number of files when I click on Properties, but the right side of the window is empty! I know I'll never get any help from microsoft on this. I would appreciate if anyone has any suggestions on how to fully restore the files.

Bill

Where did you transfer the docs from?  I would go back and start over, maybe with a couple of test docs first.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

LugwidVanB

I installed the hard drive from the win98 computer to the xp computer. I deleted them off the win98 drive because they were successfully transferred so I can't start over. I was accessing them in Word on the xp drive. All was normal. I then tried getting all the docs to a single folder and found after that there is no access now. I searched 'restore' on Windows help but it isn't helpful, it is very confusing.