• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Poll: How do you pay your bills?

Started by Mark H, April 22, 2009, 09:59 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you pay your bills?

on-line
mail them

Mark H

I am curious as to how many people pay their bills on-line compared to the numbers that use the conventional mail system. I received a notice from the bank that I missed a truck payment last month. I wrote the check and mailed it, but apparently the post office lost it. Since I pay early, I was only 10 days late when I went it to pay it (again). Now there is a check out there that may finally reach the bank to make it a double payment, which is OK since it would be all principle.

I am not seriously thinking about paying all my bills on-line since my bank has that service free. I made a payment for our adjacent 3 acres on-line yesterday and it worked like a charm.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Buffalo2102

If I can possibly pay on-line then I will.  It is quick, simple and you usually get instant confirmation.

I can't remember the last time I wrote a cheque, let alone sent one in the post.

Buff; check, cheque, 1-2, 1-2.......
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Bill

I pay everything online using my bank's bill paying utility.  And for payees that do not collect money electronically, like my landscaper, the bank takes my on line payment and actually mails a check to them.
The bank also sends me an email when a new bill arrives or is due.

I do not use the on line capacity of the individual cards or accounts.  I can't imagine, anymore, paying by USPS.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Mark H

I am actually setting up all of my bills on my bank's website. When I get them setup, I will choose a couple to test and see how it goes. My bank will also mail a check if the place won't accept electronic payments.

I do not want another payment getting lost in the US mail service!

Mark H

Bill

I think the USPS is the best argument for online payments.  The USPS lost a lump sum pension payment a month ago! 

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

I write checks.  I mail them.  I don't ever go online, for anything.  I am afraid of someone stealing my identity.

They should be very afraid, as well.

I have never written a cheque.  or gone to the loo, as far as I can tell.  As far as losing a check in the mail, I guess that wouldn't be so bad if I wound up having more money because of it.  Not that it was asked, but I send actual paper greeting cards too.  I think it's kinda lazy to go get some online thing, which takes me an hour or so to download, instead of buying an actual manufactured card that took actual signing and addressing.  Plus, I can write "OXOXOX" on it or draw a cute picture. 

Ace; try that online on one of those store-bought sites.

Ring bells for service.

Mark H

My banking information is already on-line whether I like it or not, so nothing additional gets put out there if I pay on-line in my opinion. There is more of a chance that a check gets stolen in the mail.

Mark H

pat

I come home, give my wife all my money and then never see it again.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

scuzzy

I'm with Pat. Except that I give my money to my wife, not his.

All bills in this house are either paid via credit card (such as Netflix), auto withdrawal from checking/savings, or through my bank's online bill pay which it provides as a free service. Plus, each month my bank reimburses 100% of any ATM fees that I incur.

Scuzzy; I've been dragging the same $5 bill around for the last couple weeks.

Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

pat

Actually I'm the one that pays the bills and I do a mix of on-line and conventional USPS with a hard copy check.

My bank does offer on-line bill paying and I may look into that. I've never been crazy about the auto debit from my checking account, not sure why.

I go to the sites of the folks I'm paying to make the on-line payments.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Bill

It's a great deal easier to do it from the bank site. 
I found a reason to use auto debits although I didn't like them either.  I have 3 auto debits, each save me $25 per month in health insurance premiums by using the auto system.  And, it cuts down on the paper.

Bill

Mark H

The only automatic payment I use is for the house payment. I prefer to control when I choose to pay for everything else.

Mark H

Ace

I usually pay through the nose.

Ace; I hope I don't owe Scuzzy's wife any money.
Ring bells for service.