• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Idol '09

Started by Bill, March 04, 2009, 06:59 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark H

I think Chris, Adam and Danny are the top 3 this week. I think any of the other 4 could end up going home. I think Lil and Matt/Anoop should go home tonight.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Mark H

Lil and Anoop are gone, so I was correct since Anoop/Matt would be one or the other.

I think the ones left are the top 5 out of the top 13 contestants, so it is ending correctly.

Mark H

Ace

Boy, talk about hedging your bets.  No wonder you win the prediction poll every year.  Heck, if multiple choice counts, I'll go with Anoop/Matt/Lil/Danny as those whom won't win.  I was sweating it when Alison got put up there; thankfully Anoop took one for the team.  I think her potential and performance far outweigh his.

Matt is on borrowed time.  Thanks, judges.  What a bunch of maroons.  I'm sure Anoop appreciates their support...

Ace; of Matt. 
Ring bells for service.

Ace

Now look, let's not go suggesting I remember stuff that was popular 5,000 years ago.  That's the kind of thing Buff would say.  I am NOT older than dirt... I distinctly remember there being dirt already, as far back as I can remember.

I can just see some Neanderthal or Cro-Magnon singing away... "Hey, Grog; what you call that you're doing?"
Grog, "I call it 'Rock'."
"Ooh.  cool."

Ace; next time I go missing, they'll probably put out a Silver Alert.
Ring bells for service.

Ace

I shall offer a prediction, and say someone is going home tonight.  If I had to bet, I'd suggest Matt.  Shoot, every week I hope it's Matt.  Just for wearing the stupid hat again: Matt. Especially as it didn't match the suit. 

You know, the combination of having the better ones left and having a genre they all seemed comfortable with makes it tough this week.  I can't say anyone stunk up the place; even the piano man was ok, but I thought that whole "drop it down a key..." was stupid as he could barely talk his way through most of the song, only to be able to hit the big crescendo at the end...  The rest were fine, and distinctive.  I think Kris has a bit of a higher voice than the other guys (except Adam, who personified "Swagger" as well as ultrasonic) and he may have come across as a bit "thinner" vocally.  The falsetto for him was a bit like yodeling, after awhile.  Even hearing them back, in the summary, made them all sound better than I even thought the first time.

Definitely, Anoop and Lil would be gone if they weren't already.

Ace; how safe was that.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

The competition has definitely moved up a notch or 2.  And I agree, Matt seems to be my choice too.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Mark H

Bottom three will be Allison, Chris and Matt with Matt getting the lowest number of votes.

Mark H; Tonight makes history when the same person gets voted off for a second time in the top 12 (13).

Ace

I gotta figure most of the digs between Simon and Ryan are staged...  Just to cause drama.  But I can't imagine what they'd see in each other. 

I did swallow hard tonight, and thought I was having another Chris Daughtry moment when Adam entered the bottom two.  Obviously they got it right to ship Matt out, but criminy that's some drama I don't need.  Like J, I may well have tuned out for the rest.  Although Allison draws my attention 2nd most.

Seeing Taylor Hicks brought back just how lame he was/is.  That that guy won is probably the biggest scam ever on the show.  He'd be the opening act for the opening act for anyone else.

Next week is rock and roll, which offers probably the greatest reward/risk of any.  You can realllly blow it ("A Day In The Life" last year...) or really shine.  It'll be really hard from here on out.

Ace; Danny Gokey does "Iron Man"; Kris does "Mr. Roboto."  Adam Lambert with "Sympathy For The Devil."  Allison sings "Something By Heart."  Matt performs "In My Room."

Ring bells for service.

Mark H

I did not see Adam being in the bottom two, but I think most people didn't see it coming. We did get it right about Matt though.

Mark H; History was made - voted off twice in the top 10.

Bill

Last night was a very enjoyable show.  I think using a rock band, instead of the regular one was a great idea, even if it was Slash. He impressed me as a Kiss wannabe. And if I could remember his name, I'd tell you which one.

All in, my choice to leave would have to be Kris.  I think he was way out of his element, and didn't show a lot of talent.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Bill

Boy oh boy are you showing your age.  I haven't seen 'clothes props' in a very long time.  And we used to call them 'clothes poles.'

Generally I think 'props' is a verbal gesture of respect. 

And, more to the point, your picks for 1 and 2 are spot on.

Bill

Bill

With the iron flat iron that was heated on the wood burning stove in the kitchen! 

With all respect to your granddaughter, I'm standing pat, no, not that Pat.

Bill

Bill

Your picks for winners.  Not being a strong risk taker, I wouldn't go out on the limb and actually make a selection myself!

Bill;hard to be wrong if....

Ace

"Dream On! Dream On! Dream On! Aaaacccccckkkkkkarrrrrggghhhheekchoke" Danny Gokey

I thought having Slash (Saul...) involved was nice, even if he didn't perform for last night's event.  With the skills of the other two house guitarists he wasn't needed.  

It was another night of "How Dumb A Song Can I Pick"...  Going with a Beatles number that doesn't actually require singing and the back-catalog of Janis Joplin was the usual miscue.  And for Danny to tackle a tune that is soooo intertwined with a single artist/voice (kinda like when the women try Whitney) he was pretty much doomed as waaay out of his element.  Slash said he could be brilliant or horrific and in losing his voice completely (and turning his back on everyone/ending it right then and there) he proved horrific is in his wheelhouse.

Kris was bland, but did hold his own in duet with Danny.  I thought they were nicely balanced and each held up his end.  "Come Together" has absolutely no vocal measure, as is proved by Steven Tyler/Aerosmith's being pretty much a carbon copy of the Beatles.  The thing is all instrumentation, and you don't sing it at all.  That he was almost going to do "Revolution" (?) and Allison was thinking of trying Grace Slick proves their heads aren't in it, as neither was going to gain from either attempt.  That their "other choice" was just as dumb is troubling.  

Although Kris didn't add much, I'd put the badness of Gokey above him for my vote for removal tonight.  Should be an either/or with Adam and Allison sailing along like a Led Zeppelin.

Ace; tonight's Daughtry.  What a step up from Taylor Hicks, or Swift.
Ring bells for service.

Ace

"Cry!  Cry!  Cry!  Waaah!  Boohoo..." Allison Iraheta

Well, I guess if you really want to copy somebody else's singing and song you can wind up where they are professionally at this point in time.  A strange year with the girl's demise, and the end of 3 Men And A Baby.  Definitely a spot-on Joplin imitation, although that's probably as commendable as singing like Bob Dylan or Joe Cocker.  I mean, what's the point?  She's possibly asking the same question right now. 

I thought Daughtry (the guy/band) was a'ight.  Gwen Stefani gives me the willies, though, with that stupid sing-songy atonal style.  I mean, they can sound in tune and catchy but also just grating and bothersome.  Last night was grated and annoying to me. 

And holy moley, what a prescient prediction of Saul Hudson's actual appearance by JA last night; good one.  And in that, again I thought Kris sounded good in comparison to his peers.

Ace; I wish school was out for the summer.

Ring bells for service.

Bill

I was a bit shocked though with the voting conclusions.  It would be really interesting, at least for me, to see the age demographics of the 64 million.  Joplin, like Sinatra, Martin and Welk all have an appeal to brackets that are not voters, IMO.  Maybe an obvious point.

Hudson's performance was enjoyable but his non-playing persona still reminds me of Gene Simmons.

Bill

Ace

You mean Chaim Witz?  They both have a lot of chutzpah... Oy, what a band they could have made.

Ace; I had to look up half of that.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

He would have made one heck of a Rabbi, too!

Bill

Ace

Saul is definitely better than Stanley Harvey Eisen....

Ace; where's the end of this thing.
Ring bells for service.

Ace

Yeah; stupid kids.  I go to bed at 9:30 sometimes.  I'd agree with 8:00 primetime starts.  I'm usually dozing during the 2nd half of Fringe, after.  You know what really gets my goat, as a Cub fan would say, are major college sporting events with a 9:00 kick/tip off like the BCS final or NCAA basketball conclusion. 

Idol gets ugly now, with the fru-fru padding and add-ons.  And typically is going to run out of airtime right at the climactic moment where they rush the announcement and confetti fills the air.  And Paula's head.  I wish they could go a year with just Kara and Simon and Randy, with Paula nursing her addiction off screen.  But I gotta figure as busy and filthy stinking wealthy as Simon is I sure wouldnt expect him to jet back and forth across the pond to keep his fingers in two pots of gold simultaneously.  Heck, if I didn't have to work I wouldn't, so why would he.

If it was up to him, he'd probably have Susan Boyle join the top 3 guys. 

Ace; next: Bo Bice and Kelly Pickler sing the Theme From Hee-Haw

Ring bells for service.

Ace

Here's hoping for a non-shocking perfectly sensible vote-off tonight.  I appreciate Simon's admonition to not presume Adam has free sailing into the finale.  Shoot, I hope he has clear passage right to the trophy itself...  I'll tell ya, if it's Danny and Kris at the end they may as well show re-runs of "Law and Order: SUV" or "So You Think You Can Dance Like Some Celebrity." 

I still get chills from Adam's wail songs; he's something else.  I dearly love Terence Trent D'Arby and own one more of his CDs (3) than I do Paula's (2).  But "Dance Sister" wouldn't have been my pick either, from the Hardline CD.  Gokey tends toward simple repetitive tunes as it is that don't challenge his range, so didn't need to feed him one to do...  I thought "You Are So Beautiful" was a classic pick, but geez louise it's like he did about 1/3 of the song... I didn't get the "too soft" straining opening with the shouted solo (and no progression of the song itself).

Kris really went nowhere; doing two "current" fairly tuneless entries didn't help.  First was dull but pleasant, second was like about 100 others and one of those where he seems more concerned with the guitar part than the singing.  He's ok on those, but they really don't mean anything to me.  A very amateurish song, and not worth the effort.  What he does do uniquely wasn't, last night.

I always hoped Adam would do "Crying" by Roy Orbison, but not "Crying" by Joplin, so I guess "Crying" by Aerosmith was ok.  The U2 thing was ok, but that one didn't exactly push the window (although I guess outsinging Bono isn't that tough). 

If Adam is the bottom feeder I hope they invent one more save...

Ace; Jordin Sparks tonight.. talk about the Idol Hall of Fame.
Ring bells for service.

Ace

I was just talking to someone who met Bono and the Edge after the U2 concert here (does anyone use their real name..?), and she said "they look really old."  I said "they ARE really old..."  Geez criminy, we listened to "Train Kept a Rollin'" by Aerosmith at the Pizza Keg while in college.  I've never been a passionate fan of either, but like them ok.  Mostly the older stuff of old people.

Ace; it's hard to find anyone older who's alive.  Although I do like the music of a lot of dead people.
Ring bells for service.

Ace

Jethro Tull did "Thick As a Brick Yard."  That could go on "Progressive Night on Idol" where contestants sing 30 minute or so album-side long tunes of that genre ("Close To The Edge", "Tubular Bells", "1983 A Merman I Should Hope To Be", any live Cream). Of course for Idol they'll edit it down to a 2 minute Cliff's Notes version.

Ace; we be jammin'.  If I enter Scuzzy's back yard he be shootin'.
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

Only if you enter my backyard.

Scuzzy; I'll make you fodder for my front yard.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

Look, leave my fodder out of this.  And my mudder.  You know, Mine That Bird is quite a mudder.  His fodder was a mudder... his mudder was a mudder.

I should write a song as a sequel:  "The Sheriff Shot Me; and Also His Deputy."

Ace; I'm not going anywhere near CO.  They probably still have snow.
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

You're obviously upset because I beat you to taking this to page 5.

And let's not talk about being strangled by the wishes of pater, or hoping for the arms of mater.

Scuzzy; I pity the fool.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Mark H

If Ace was in my backyard, I would think he would get lost in the woods. I would then have to call Scuzzy to launch a search and rescue operation to fine Ace since the normal channels in WV are tied up with flood relief.

As to Idol, I think Danny will go home tonight. That is my prediction and I am sticking to it.

Mark H; Why did I get addicted to another season of idol????

scuzzy

Quote from: Mark H on May 13, 2009, 16:26 hrs
If Ace was in my backyard, I would think he would get lost in the woods. I would then have to call Scuzzy to launch a search and rescue operation to fine Ace since the normal channels in WV are tied up with flood relief.

I will be more than happy to fine Ace for going in the woods.

Scuzzy; give me his address and I'll send the citation.

Ace

Well, if you're going to fine me instead of find me first you'll have to find me.  Good thing you don't have my

oh. shoot.  dangit.  alright; I'll check the mailbox.  There goes my stimulus bonus.

I felt Gokey was the favorite when it first started.. I really thought he had a unique and expressive voice and manner.  And, naturally, the sympathy vote as a widower.  But like the Aussie last year he just never seemed to step up and have a magic moment, and last night's goodbye was a good example.  He starts the song breathy and way soft, then basically loses the song for that weird takeoff "You are so... ooh baby beautiful yeah baby hey hey woohoo hubbahubba weeee ladida" thing. Criminy, he didn't even finish one verse of it. 

I don't feel any particular passion for Kris but I respect him as consistent, professional, smooth, clever and easy to listen to and watch.  I guess kind of like David A. last year; can't get really excited about him but he's always "on".  The only embarrassing moment was that stupid butchering of the Eagles tune while "surrounded by girls" and hip hopping around.  Danny has had a few embarrassing (and lame) moments, and that gawshawful ending to "Dream On" has to be a YouTube favorite for years.

Seeing Jordin Sparks begs the question "Geez, what happened to Blake Lewis"... what an absolutely waste (waist) of time.  Lousy pointless one-line song (repeat this, over and over, as we think it was clever) with no memorable anything and she both looks and sounds lousy.  There are probably 20,000,000 fat teenage girls that can do what she does.

I sincerely hope Adam knocks it out of the park next week.  I hope they've been saving David Cook for the final show, but what with his brother and all I don't know if he's in the mood at this time.  If Kris wins it could be the big yawn that would unravel the show completely...  The "off" years (Sparks, Taylor Hicks, Ruben, Febreze) are enough to lose momentum and question any relevance it might have anyway.  Adam at least would be attention-getting and someone like nothing ever seen/heard before. 

Ace; Kris could probably sing kid's songs and be the new Raffi or Charlie Harper.

ooh ooh; PS too: Katy Perry finally was able to out-butcher any other modern artist and claim the "my gosh, can anything be more stupid and pointless and irritating and amateurish and worse fitting than this person doing anything on a stage" from Taylor Swift and Gwen Stefani and anyone else you can think of that makes you want to not just turn off the tv but kick it hard and often too.
Ring bells for service.

Ace

Streaking was in vogue when I was at Purdue.  Only thing I ever saw was a naked guy running toward me.  Which I appreciated as much as Scuzzy probably did; wish I had been armed then.

I once saw a Chevy Citation do a 360 just on wet pavement in an intersection:  The X cars were the beginning of the end.  Can't wait to buy a Chinese Chevy... boy howdy. 

I think anyone who votes probably shouldn't be, too.  We haven't done that for years, usually because you can't get through anyway. 

Ace; as a kid, when my grandfather's cat would perch by the edge of the goldfish pond I'd lob a rock in over his head...

Ring bells for service.