• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

More European Stupidity

Started by Chandler, January 20, 2009, 02:30 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Chandler

I'm started to think that the European Commission are biased against Microsoft.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7834792.stm
QuoteIn its statement on Friday the Commission said: "Microsoft's tying of Internet Explorer to the Windows operating system harms competition between web browsers, undermines product innovation and ultimately reduces consumer choice."

I don't understand this comment, so maybe I'm stupid, but I've never had any issues installing Firefox, Chrome or Safari on Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows Vista and have it become the default browser.  Surely the fact that I can install these browsers means that I have consumer choice?  I'm starting to think that the European Commission is nothing more than a group of idiots, similar to the Lords that we have the United Kingdom (fox-hunting toffs people who are given powers to make decisions simply due to how much money they have from their estate).  And in spite of all of this, it's perfectly acceptable for Apple to bundle Safari with OS X?  Or a more extreme example it's perfectly acceptable for Apple to actively prohibit competitors from releasing their browsers for the iPhone?

At times I thought that things are messed up in the States, but things here in Europe are just as bad, and at more times even more stupid.

Oh well, I guess it's not as screwed up as Cuba.

halokid

As the text reads, i concur, and suggest that this is cherry picking at its finest.
This is actually so absurd, that i would be more willing to accept that this is a straw man argument, and that Microsoft payed someone off to argue this web browser pre-installed non-sense  instead of the real issues.

In Microsoft's defense....( you wont see me do this often)

point 1 If they did not package IE then how are you supposed to download Firefox?? lol. Not everybody has storage media with a copy of their fav web browser.

point 2 why would they not include their own web browser, but instead include.. ohh say  Firefox?, That doesn't make any sense. They really do need at least one browser ready to go on there. and integration into the file system is nothing.

the real problem i wager, is that developers for one reason or another got into the habit during the 90s of writing software and web pages and business apps to interface with active x and what ever  exclusive protocols IE has. The biggest pain i have witnessed, were the years i was in college
there were SOOOOO many instances where i HAD to use IE. ( Taking tests etc.).

I have started to see the trend twords more java, flash , and other open-source code, which is good, and developers should write their programs and sites with regards to features that "ALL" web browsers have.