• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Raid hdd issues?

Started by ingeborgdot, November 12, 2008, 22:05 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

ingeborgdot

I went over to a friends house to work on their computer for them and ended up replacing their video card.  As I was working on it I was messing around with their intel raid storage and noticed that it was not working anymore and it said the driver was not installed.  I went into bios and checked and somehow the bios was now on ide instead of raid.  How the heck it got changed no one knows because they have no idea how to get into the bios.
I have never had to do this before but what am I going to do to get the raid back on for them.  Do I unhook one hdd and then go into bios and turn on raid and start the computer with one hdd and then tell it to rebuild?  Would someone be willing to give me step by step instructions on how to do this if you know because I have never had to do this before.  Thanks.
Antec P182, Abit IP35 Pro, Q6600, 4GB Crucial Ballistix, Leadtek Winfast PX7900GSTDH, P & C silencer quad 750 watt, 3-Seagate Sata 500, HT Omega Claro, Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 THX, Digital Doc 5+, 2 Samsung SATA DVD burners, Canopus ADVC50,Vista Ultimate Retail 64 Bit, Vista rating 5.9

Buffalo2102

Probably need some more information here.  Motherboard?  Separate RAID card?  OS?

When you say "messing around with their Intel RAID storage", do you mean the Intel Matrix Storage Manager software?

Anyway, I assume that if your friend was running RAID, it must have been two disks in RAID1, since if he was running RAID0 and it was no longer working the PC wouldn't boot (unless he has a single OS drive and RAID0 storage?).

Need more info really.

Buff

Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

ingeborgdot

Asus P5e, driver raid, xp .
I just tried to open up the intel storage software and it would not open.  I checked the my computer and found the it was now in two seperate hdd.  It was a raid 1, yes. 
Antec P182, Abit IP35 Pro, Q6600, 4GB Crucial Ballistix, Leadtek Winfast PX7900GSTDH, P & C silencer quad 750 watt, 3-Seagate Sata 500, HT Omega Claro, Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 THX, Digital Doc 5+, 2 Samsung SATA DVD burners, Canopus ADVC50,Vista Ultimate Retail 64 Bit, Vista rating 5.9

Buffalo2102

In that case, it should be OK to just go into BIOS and change the IDE to RAID.  When it boots and the RAID BIOS loads, it should just recognise the other drive as part of the RAID again.

If the RAID still doesn't work for any reason, it should still boot from the primary disk.  You can then get into the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, click on Intel Matrix Storage Console.  Click on View, then Advanced Mode and right-click on the non-RAID hard drive and select Rebuild to this hard drive.

As with all these things, make sure you have a current backup first.

Buff
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.