• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Recomended software to mirror hardrive

Started by Llhweiir, June 04, 2008, 07:12 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Llhweiir

I have a 200 GB Western Digital drive currently installed in my system. It has a 5 GB recovery partion and a 195 GB partition for normal use. Today I bought a 250 GB Samsung drive which I plan to use as a backup-disc. I want to be able to make a mirror image of my WD-drive onto the Samsung drive.

Unfortunately, my system does not seem to support RAID, and therefore I guess I am forced to use software-based "mirroring", right? Now, which software would you recommend for the job???

Bill

Are you asking about a program that will do dynamic mirroring so that the 2 drives are always duplicates of each other or do you want an image of the C drive for backup and restore?

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Llhweiir

Quote from: Bill on June 04, 2008, 07:22 hrs
Are you asking about a program that will do dynamic mirroring so that the 2 drives are always duplicates of each other or do you want an image of the C drive for backup and restore?

Bill

My first priority is a pgm that allows me to make an image of the C drive for backup and restore...  which also would allow me to use the superflous space to other not so important storage... but that said, a pgm that does dynamic mirroring would be nice...

Bill

One of the most popular iamging programs is Acronis.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Chandler

For full disk backups I use Acronis TrueImage.

If you're wanting copies of certain directories, SecondCopy is worth a look.

There is a hardware RAID-type device that is independent of the OS.  You just connect it to the SATA port on your motherboard and connect two disks to it and it will always write the same to both disks.  Maybe those are worth investigating?

Llhweiir

Quote from: Chandler on June 06, 2008, 05:31 hrs
For full disk backups I use Acronis TrueImage.

If you're wanting copies of certain directories, SecondCopy is worth a look.

There is a hardware RAID-type device that is independent of the OS.  You just connect it to the SATA port on your motherboard and connect two disks to it and it will always write the same to both disks.  Maybe those are worth investigating?

That sounds perfect - you don't happen to know what that device is called or where I can buy one? I am having trouble finding such a device, and the store I usually shop from havn't heard about it...

Buffalo2102

I can't find anything that connects to the motherboard SATA port either, but there are similar devices that connect via USB, firewire, etc.

Example - http://www.circotech.com/eagle-d-series-external-usb-raid-0-cage-for-two-sata-hard-drives.html

With that one you also need to buy the hard drives but some come complete with drives.  LaCie do a couple but they start at 1.5TB capacity and that's probably too large and too expensive for your needs.

Buff
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Chandler

Llhweiir

Quote from: Chandler on June 09, 2008, 13:03 hrs
http://www.arcoide.com/ezraid_3.5_dd4_baymount.php

Wow! This seems to be one amazing piece of tech... This simply MUST be the easiest way to achive protection against HD-failure... A bit expensive though, but definitiley worth considering...