• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

My Computer

Started by scuzzy, April 10, 2008, 20:57 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

The following is a list of programs that are on my main computer, many of which are available for free. My operating system is WinXP Pro w/SP2. There's no particular reason for poasting this, other than to share my setup. The following is not a complete list, but it comes close:

UTILITIES:
Eraser 5.82 - best dang file eraser on the planet - FREE
Diskeeper 8 - not the latest, but it easily meets my needs
JkDefrag - nice, simple and effective program - FREE
Foxit Reader - far better than Adobe reader, at a fraction of the size - FREE
Acronis 11 Home - excellent imaging program
Microsoft Tweak UI - FREE

ENCRYPTION:
TrueCrypt 5.1a - I can't believe this is FREE

REGISTRY CLEANER:
CCleaner v2 - I can't believe this is FREE
Jv16 - okay, not free but easily worth the cash
EasyCleaner 2.0 by ToniArts - very rarely updated, but effective - FREE

SECURITY:
Eset NOD32 antivirus v3
COMODO Firewall Pro v3 - FREE
SpywareBlaster v4 - FREE
AVG Anti-rootkit FREE
Winpatrol Plus - the free version is great, but the plus is worth the few dollars

MUSIC:
Winamp v5.5 - I'm surprised AOL hasn't ruined this yet - FREE
jetAudio v7 - I just use this on occasion, preferring Winamp - FREE
Real Alternative Media Player Classic - far better than Real Player - FREE

PHOTOS & MULTIMEDIA:
Adobe Photoshop Elements v5
Picasa 2 - FREE
MS Office Picture Manager (bundled with MS Office)
VSO Image Resizer - instantly and easily resizes images - FREE
Photo Story 3 for Windows - incredible, and easy to use - FREE
InterVideo WinDVD 8
Roxio Easy Media 7.5 - I spent too much on this to simply toss it out in favor of Nero

BROWSERS:
Firefox 2 - FREE, of course
IE7 - very rarely used

PRODUCTIVITY:
MS Office 2003 Professional
PaperPort 9 - outdated but meets my needs
Quicken - between this and MS Money, I hate this one slightly less

MISC:
Google Desktop - the "gadget" sidebar is great - FREE
Ace FTP 3 Pro - I love this FTP program
WeatherBug - FREE
CO2 Saver - great for forcing your computer into sleep mode - FREE
Moffsoft FreeCalc - far superior to the Windows calculator - FREE

GAMES:
None, other than those bundled with Windows XP.

POPULAR PROGRAMS THAT I WILL NEVER INSTALL:
Real Player
Adobe Reader (Acrobat)
Symantec / Norton
AOL - death before dishonor
Instant messaging programs - I'd rather use snail mail
iTunes
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

Well, that was fascinating.  Uncalled for, but absolutely riveting.  Like when someone shoots rivets, into your forehead.

I've probably spent too much time here pointing out what I have on my computer that doesn't work.  Instead, I'd thought I'd just look around and list things on my computer desk and on the old faux Scandinavian now auxilary Printer desk:

Call of Duty disks and cases 1, 2 and 4.  3 never came out PC.
My GE TV remote.
A white calculator.
A brass sailboat.
A 3 headed gargoyle candle holder.
A tiny pig angel statuette.
A multi colored flower vase.
My control sheet for the Microsoft flight game, of the multitude of keyboard controls no one can figure out when you're about to crash.
Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3.
A pencil.
A ballpoint.
A yellow post-it pad.
My USB hub.
A white USB cord, for when I connect a camera.
My two Altec satellites.  The bass module is below.
A religious statue.
A mouse pad from my place of work.
A yellow bulb light in a faux Chinese lantern shade.
A blue light in a desklight.  Both underneath, for gaming keyboard backlighting, at night.
The Belkin plug unit.
My joystick, on the defunct Monarch Piano Black pc.
A song listing for a CD-R where I wrote my Oblvion Character's stats about 3 months ago.
An envelope where my wife wrote Tammy's number.  I have no idea who it is, so if anyone wants to call her let me know.

Those are the main ones.  Next, I shall look through my sock drawer and let you know what I find there.

Ace; gonna be hard to turn this poast to food.
Ring bells for service.

Ace

Geez Louise, it's the Poast Office.  It was a Poast.  What part of "post" don't we understand...

You know, I wish I was at your desk right now.  All I've got is an empty Corona bottle.

Ace; I did the first pass of the drawer, and so far came across an expanse of white Nike tube socks.
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

Next to my computer is a gun, some ammunition, and other general tools of the trade.

Scuzzy; any chance that you have some targets on your computer that I can practice on?
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Bill

Chances are he shops at Target.  That's probably close enough.

Bill; I prefer Newegg.
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

I'll tell ya what's NOT in my wallet, and that's a Capital One card.  Not after those jerks goosed my interest rate, just for fun.  End of that partnership.

You know, even the middle of a firearm concerns me, because that's where the bullets usually are.  I did just come back from Target; I burned up our latest paper shredder with an American Express application.  Piece of junk...  So was looking there, but they just had the same brand and cheaper versions.

I think it should be pointed out that Scuzzy changed the topic of his poast to somethings else in the room, so any complaints of the topic changing should be directed toward him.  As he will then likely direct a gun toward the complainant, I shall be right behind you.

ace; I found the black Nike quarter top socks, too.
Ring bells for service.

Ace

Thank you SO much for saying the P word...  What are ya... LinS?

They can't tell who you are when you're dead... I guess they don't care who you were, then.  We just had Burritos and Spanish Rice, so again I would say it's Scuzzy's fault that this turned to food.  They were better than last nights tough pork and Italian theme. 

We had Chorizo laced refried beans.  I think Mark Wahlberg used those as explosives, in The Shooter.

Ace; dang, now I can't remember what poast I'm in.  I hope it isn't Idol, since I didn't watch Wrestling last night.
Ring bells for service.

pat

Jeez, ya step out for a day and this thing get way off there some where.

I now have Vista Ultimate 64bit on my system had the 32bit but spent most of the day changing things around yesterday. Got most of my apps reinstalled so here goes, in no particular order..........

MS Office 2007 Home and Student, a great value IMHO, can be installed on three systems and only $119 at the egg.

Foxit reader, great program.

Mailwasher Pro, wouldn't do email without it.

Ccleaner, Indeed a great utility to keep a cleaned up system. Been using this for some time now.

Using Trend Micro Internet Security 2008 for AV and firewall, works well and I got it for $39 with a $40 rebate, can be installed on three systems and I'm not complaining.

Photoshop Elements 6, this is new for me so I'm looking forward to giving this a spin.

Spybot Search and Destroy, still using this and for what it is, seems to still work OK.

PC Wizard, I use this to keep track of my system temps and find it useful as an overall system information tool

Logitech Setpoint software, mouse and keyboard utility.

Kompozer, this I like, a very easy to use and free web page creation tool. Built on NV or more precisely an unofficial NV bug fix.

Filezilla, FTP program, small, fast and updated often.

I also have a couple of Hallmark card things, my wife really likes that stuff and O well, we just got to have it.

I had that Roxio Creator 10 on the old install, not sure it's going to make the cut though. I mean it's ok, but what a bloated piece of software and from what I read Nero is not much better anymore. Am going to look into some other stuff that has been getting some good reviews.

I got some games, theres the Sam and Max, Oblivion, Secrets of Atlantis and Company of Heroes so far. I have some others I'm going to try on here too.

That's about as far as I've got but I'll be trying some new stuff real soon.

My desk is a mess right now so I won't get into all the clutter. I do have the picture of my daughters over there next to the Logitech speakers. There's the battery charger with some double A in it. The router and cable modem, phone the vonage adapter, lets see, I got the tape dispenser and stapler, the printer way over there. A little cube thing with note paper in it. Various USB receivers for keyboard and mouses, the KVM switch and monitor, some pencils and pens, the USB splitter for the printer to use on both computers. No food right now and thank the stars, the tax stuff is all put away for this year, never thought I'd be an accountant for the government at no charge to them but plenty of out of pocket for me.

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64