• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Winrar Is Good Application

Started by Whizbang, July 30, 2007, 20:00 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

Winzip has some very serious competition in Winrar.  It handles many compressed file types including zip files and is cheaper, only $21.00 for a single user.  The only downside that I may have found is that you cannot work within a zipped file with Winrar without extracting the file.  I could be wrong because I did not select the .zip extension as one of the Winrar priority options.  It is a powerful program and is the one of choice for ISO segments downloading.  Function buttons are very eye-catching and easy to understand.  Winrar also will open ISO files.  The shareware locks after 40 days, but the developers have to make a living.

pat

Have a look at Izac, about the same feature set and it�s freeware.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Whizbang

Very impressive so far, and you can indeed edit files within the archive and then save with no problemo.  Thanks.  You get a free cappuccino next time I see you.   ;D

(Edit:) This is getting even better.  The icon assigned to a particular archive actually has the suffix in bold letters accross the archive.  Neither Winzip nor Winrar does this.  I took a chance and simply chose all of the possible archives as IZARC related.  If this program is indeed as good as the package, this guy deserves a donation.