• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Pan's Labyrinth

Started by pat, March 04, 2007, 14:41 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo2102

As with most of your poasts, I had to read that several times before I was sure that I had no idea what you were talking about.  There was a good deal of talk about wine, but it seemed to me that there was way too much "handling" and "sniffing" - wine is for drinking.

Buff; just drink it.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Ace

Oh, well, isn't that rich...  He Whom Appears On Occasion From Abroad (and, no, I don't know her name) accuses me of not knowing what he doesn't know what I'm talking about.  Well, let me tell you, I am not going to be of any help on that.

Maybe if you wouldn't read my poasts so often or at all you'd have a better grasp of what I'm referring to.  I've found if I don't even watch what I'm saying or after I do better with my comprehension.  Or at least retention.  From the stream of consciousness I work from there is a retention pond at the end. 

Ok, maybe more like that cess pool holding area that broke down and flooded in Palestine...  Whatever.  I've always said "If I can't be affluent, at least I can be effluent."

Ace; I have.  Always.
Ring bells for service.

Konni3

That was a great movie :D
Cant wait to get it on DVD

Bill

And what movie would that be?  Is this a poast about a movie; could have fooled me.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

I am not aware of anyone making a movie of Pat's Labyrinth.  It's probably one of those films that goes round and round and doesn't get anywhere. 

Any move about Pat ought to have those giant walking trees, like in Lord of the Rings.  Have one come up to his car and drop a limb on him.

Anyway, I thought this poast was mostly centered on depressing Spanish food, like paella.  I get depressed when I have to spell a lot of words I don't know, particularly Spanish ones or Labyrinth.  That one is just begging for a keyboardo.

Ace; I wonder if Pat will do a sequel.
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

I don't want Pat to do a squeal. Sort of reminds me of Deliverance. That's just wrong no matter how you look at it, and I don't want to look at it.

If we have to talk about Spanish food, then I recommend we talk about chorizo. Chorizzo. Zoro.

What the heck is a paella? Did you mean patella? Do you eat it or do you shine your shoes with it? I'd rather have a rice dish garnished with vegetables and meat.

Scuzzy; I'd rather have Ace in a hole...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

Ok; I like choriz(z)o sausage.  For breakfast, with eggs, in a burrito.  We had it one Sunday morning, and I golfed that afternoon.  I'm on the furthest point on the course from the clubhouse, and my lower tract starts rumbling...  Good gracias, I almost didn't make it back in time.

That sounds good; I should pick some up again.  I haven't had an out of body experience for awhile.

You know, Burt Reynolds just looks weird without a moustache, like he did in Deliverance.  Well, nowadays, he just looks old, and weird.  Sally Field still looks hot, though.  I'm not sure whose face Lonnie Anderson is using these days.

Ace; and someone's in the kitchen with Dinah.
Ring bells for service.

pat

I had some paella once and that was pretty much enough for me, not that there�s anything wrong with it, just didn�t sit well that particular day. Could have been something wasn�t cooked all the way, but yeah, I�ll pass the paella. I sure did that day.

Hey speaking of out of body, I rented The Prestige the other day and what a good movie that was. I hesitate to go into too many details, but defiantly a good choice.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Ace

There were two Magician movies out last year, right?  And the Prestige was the good one?  I like watching magicians on tv, although I think some of them are just evil since it really is magic and they actually make stuff happen.

Ace; I used to fish at Magician Lake.
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

Yep, I have to agree about The Prestige. My wife and I watched it a couple weeks ago; what an excellent movie.

Scuzzy; Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

Speaking of the way-back machine, Boris Badenov died yesterday I think.  They said he's going to be lying in state.

Ace; I wonder which one?
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Well I wouldn't expect him to be standing; lying is generally more typical for people in his state  of being.

Bill; lying was also pretty standard when he was alive.
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

I suppose people don't lie as much now, with the current regime.  Probably don't talk much at all under Poison Putin. 

We actually ate out this weekend and saw a movie; I grilled Jerk Chicken (no, that does not make me a cannibal) and we ate out on the patio.  And we went downstairs and watched Van Helsing.  I really like that movie; I'm fond of vampire flicks anyway and have a collection, and that one has some nice twists.  Plus, like Underworld, it includes a Werewolf (there, wolf!) special bonus feature.  And there were a lot of things I did not remember in it.  It was great, again, right up to the final climactic fight scene and it always loses me there... to sleep.  I go unconscious during the final battle, as I doze and peek and it's loud and always looks like the same thing going on and I doze and finally come to with her face in the clouds with her family and the happily ever after.  Stupid climactic finale; someday I'll actually watch it.

I also had a scotch and a cigar, for the first time in a year.  It was a Dewar's 12 year old.  And some Havana seed thing.  They were good; waking up tasting an ashtray wasn't that great, but that's the price you pay.

We had Folger's French Roast coffee and egg-bacon-green onion-red pepper burritos for breakfast.  And so concludes my dinner and a movie and breakfast report for today.

Ace; I said I was done.

Ring bells for service.

pat

Do you always name your chickens before you grill them? Interesting idea, I think I�ll name my next chicken Jeff or Joe.

It�s not what but who you had for dinner now.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

scuzzy

I name all of my chickens, hamburgers, hotdogs, etc., "Ace" right before I toss them in the fire.

And j-walking rabbits, too. I yell, "Get out of the way, Ace!" right before I thump them.

Scuzzy; at least I give them fair warning.

Ace

Huh.  The only thing I ever named Ace was the fool who works here.  I wasn't about to make that mistake again.

I guess I have been doing that, though, with food.  After Jerk Chicken I realized I'd had Nathan Hotdogs, Dumba#$ Rump Roast, Orville popcorn, and Chewy Strip steak.  Plus some other things I just call inedible. 

Jeff chicken...  Maybe add some rosemary and garlic, and call it Geoff. 

I use Scuzzy as a term for things around the house; usually on the floor, that are.  Just the other day I was putting this molding on the scuzzy bathroom floor around the scuzzy baseboard where it's dusty and scuzzy from the grime that collects there.  And had to vacuum out the scuzzy little dustballs beside the dryer, with that scuzzy lint built up.

I don't call anything Bill, or Pat, or JA or Buffalo or free or Lance.  Or Karen.

Ace; I am thinking of calling the chipmunk "Chandler" though.

Ring bells for service.

Buffalo2102

Quote from: Ace on April 27, 2007, 06:27 hrs
I don't call anything Bill, or Pat, or JA or Buffalo or free or Lance.  Or Karen.

I am sure that you have called your wings "Buffalo" in the past.

Buff; look, a flying jester.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Ace

It's wild you'd say that... Actually, I'm more of a leg man.  Drumettes.

Heh.. that sounds like little drum majors.  You know, instead of English, I probably could have majored in drums and done as well. 

Ace; the frying jester

Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

Sounds like a circus act: Ace and His Flying Pigs (and dancing midgets)

I watched Deja Vu. Twice, I think. It was okay, but I wouldn't categorize is as a must-see movie. It seemed like a step down for Val Kilmer.

Night At The Museum was also okay. Kinda cute and funny in parts, but not all that great. But it was good cuddle time with my wife, so I can't complain.

Scuzzy; Look! Up in the sky! OMG, what's that pig doing?

Ace

That must've seemed like 4 times, then.  My wife wants to get Night at the Museum, but probably wouldn't if it means your wife is coming to come over and cuddle.  I mean, I'm not saying I wouldn't necessarily like it but I don't think she'd care for it.

I'm trying to remember a "step up" for Val... probably headed downhill after Top Gun and the whole "blond Jim Morrison" thing.  Heh; Jim Morrison as a blond joke... 

Ace; we have so many dang flying pigs here I wear a cap pretty much all the time.
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

You're right. I'm pretty sure my wife wouldn't care for it.

I like Val Kilmer and I think he's one of Hollywood's best actors. He played an excellent role as Madmartigan in Willow, and nobody could have pulled off a better Doc Holliday in the movie Tombstone. Although Kurt Russell and Sam Elliott were excellent as Wyatt and Virgil Earp, respectively, Val's outstanding performance was critical in making Tombstone the best "Wyatt Earp" movie ever produced.

As Doc Holliday, Val blurted out some great one-liners such as: "I'm your huckleberry," "I'm afraid the... strain was more than he could bear," and "Watch out for that tree!" Wait; strike that last one... wrong movie.

If you haven't seen Tombstone, then you're missing Hollywood's greatest western. Nothing comes close.

Scuzzy; Batman Forever

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ace

I wanted to report my wife's sister rented Labyrithynth and the subtitles really bothered them.  Well, they're pretty much mouth breathers when it comes to movie watching anyway so I wouldn't expect them to keep up... 

I wonder why it isn't "movy" if it's "movies" plural.

Anyway, I saw about 3 minutes of Night at the Museum yesterday.  People were watching it in the other room at my father in law's, and I had golf on in the kitchen.  So I glanced at a few disjointed scenes.  Actually, I probably picked up the whole story line in that time.  It looked amusing, but not exactly riveting. 

Last night National Treasure and Million Dollar Baby were both on network, so we skipped between them and wound up not watching either one.  I thought the tone of National Treasure was bizarre; couldn't tell if they meant to make it a humorous "caper" movie or really suspenseful... I guess Nick Cage just sorta makes all his movies the same since he's playing the same guy each time.  I did think the fights in Million Dollar were better staged than most movies, especially Rocky.  Shoot, I've seen Bullwinkle do more realistic fight scenes than Rocky. 

It'd be kinda funny if Sherman slapped Mr. Peabody around, some time.

Alright; unless I've repeated something or performed some unexpected amusing keyboardo I'm done here.  I have the day off, so I'm going to do something fun.  First up; rearrange that one sock drawer.

Ace; it's gonna be a red letter day for the Baileys...

Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

I completely forgot what this poast was about in the first place. I had to go back and look.

But you talked me into renting the movie, probably later this week. I like dark, sordid movies about subtitles, so this should work out just fine.

I barely remember National Treasure. Cage is okay, I suppose, but his best role was as "Sailor" in Wild at Heart. That was a weird movie. Especially when some clown's head was blown off with a shotgun. Cool.

Scuzzy; Street Howitzers shoot out miniature cannonballs.

scuzzy

I finally got off of my duffle bag and watched Pan's Labyrinth along with my wife. No, I didn't watch the movie and my wife, dang it. Me and my wife watched the movie. No, wait. My wife watched the movie and me. Hold on, I gotta think about this...

Okay. My wife and I watched the movie. Yeah. Pan's Labyrinth.

We enjoyed the movie, but I probably enjoyed it more than she. As Pat mentioned, it's original. It was different from the standard fare, that's for sure. I too would not recommend it for the little ones.

I am fluent in Spanish and I found myself watching the movie in two languages at once. I was following the story line in spoken Spanish, and reading the English subtitles at the same time. At the end of the movie I ended up totally confused and my wife had to explain the whole thing to me. Afterward, I went to Taco Bell and had a Burrito Supreme to make me feel better.

Scuzzy; [insert subtitles]Eh? Que paso? No comprendo.[/subtitles]

Ace

This is about half a foot up the page, like Scuzzy has, but it's pertinent. 

I bought and watched "The Prestige" last night.  It was filmed in England, and so it was in English without subtitles.  Still, I was able to understand most of it.  They didn't make it too easy, though, as you'll find the story is told not altogether sequentially and that makes it really interesting.  It's not easy, and maybe not possible, to really kinow where it's going and there's nice touch of "Huh.  Well, then, is he..." at the end too.  Very entertaining, and convoluted and striking.  It has Scarlett Johannson in it too, which I don't think I've ever seen.  I wouldn't mind seeing more of her.  And that Wolverine guy, who has his own problems here.  And Michael Caine, who really plays British guys well.  It's one I think will be fun to watch again, just to see what clues there are and what I missed.

Not that you would.  Me, I miss quite a bit.  Oh, and David Bowie is in it and I'm a big fan.  He's "electric", as always.  I still haven't seen Pan's Labrynth, but I will probably soon.  We had enchiladas last night, so probably should have done that one instead.

Ace; sometimes I transport to the tech rooms, and then back here, just to startle people
Ring bells for service.

pat

I agree, that was a good movie, what with the teleportation and whatnot. You did have to pay attention so I don't doubt that it would be easy to miss some stuff. Have you had a chance to see The Illusionist yet? That was also very good and also in english with no subtitles.   

Ace

Nah, I didn't go for the Illusionist.  It didn't sound as interesting, from the box.  I do have a dvd of both David Blaine and Lance Burton, to watch.  Both trouble me greatly.

My theory, in watching magicians do the impossible, is that they really practice Magic.  And, they're evil.  Demons.  Demonic magical beings, able to do the impossible.  No tricks, just actually evilly able to manipulate and transport and hide and do stuff.  It explains it all.  "Let me take your diamond ring oh where'd it go oh look, down the street at the bottom of this dumpster there's a capped bottle and huh what's in it oh, look, if we open it there's your unique diamond stinking ring Buwahahahahaa."  "Look, here's a tattoo of your lost brother no one has ever seen that just magically appeared on my back Buwahahahaha."  "Hey, notice that cab that just drove by has your phone number and birthdate and social security number and address painted on the back bumper Buwahahahaa."

Ace; at least with the Stooges I can usually follow the sleight of hand.
Ring bells for service.

Buffalo2102

I recorded Pan's Labyrinth on my PVR waaaay before christmas and promptly forgot all about it.  The missus has gone away to her sister's for a few days and I managed to watch it last night.

I was kind of intrigued by the gory war scenes at the beginning, although I'd have appreciated them more if I hadn't had to keep up with the subtitling.  When the fairytale stuff started I thought "What the heck?" (or something like that).  But from that point on I was totally intrigued and couldn't stop watching.  There were some genuinely shocking moments and the mix of war and fairytale was well executed.  By the time the end came, I realised I'd totally blocked everything else out - a sign of a good movie in my opinion.

I thought the acting was superb and the general was one of the best screen bad guys I've seen for a long time.  I think I will buy the DVD.

Buff; now to catch up on Diehard....

pat

I rented that last Diehard a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty good. Predictable? Sure, but it was fun to watch and there was some good special effects.

Now for the next big thriller, I'm looking forward to going to The Orphanage. That one looks to be pretty good I may have to go alone on that one though as the missus may not be able to stand or I should say "stay seated" through it.

Ace

The way my week's going I'd pop in "Pan's Labyrinth" and my TV would burst into flames and I'd start speaking in subtitles.

The Orphanage trailer looked very creepy.  Pat, if you wouldn't mind, go see Cloverfield and then tell me what the dang monster is and if you got motion sickness watching it.

My wife's ok with horror flicks.  I guess from living with me.  And our computer.

Ace; I'm glad Bruce Willis survives those things.
Ring bells for service.