• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

laptop network connection

Started by gstringe, September 17, 2006, 12:16 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

gstringe

HI all,
I have a Dell inspiton 8000 that I got surplused at work.  HD was bad so I installed a new one.  Installed XP pro and works good except for the internal network connection.  I get no lights on the plug in and of course no network.  I did install a Belkin wireless G networkcard and ita ppears to work.  Haven't actually communicated on it but it does show wireless systems on the air.

Did a long hour with Dell tech support on line and no resolution before I had to go.

The connection shows that it is connected but no data flowing.  The router it is plugged into has no lights along with the no lights on the pc.  Connections are verified good by swapping.

Any idea???

many thanks ???

gstringe

Thanks,
I have cable modem and am using 3 of the 4 ports and have many times hooked up another pc.  Actually this morning I got a Robotics lan card and plugged it into the PCI bus and it works great so I really think the internal network circuit is fubared.

gstringe

fubar is just a term for messed up, broken, shot,  etc.  maybe not spelled correctly and maybe just a local term.

Yes the lan works fine with total of 4 pc units on it with the laptop now also is working  on the lan.  The internal lan hookup would be my choice but this will suffice.  The laptop goes out on the road for 8 months and one less plugin card to keep track of means less potential trouble spot.

Thanks for your input.

Buffalo2102

Have you checked that the LAN port is enabled in the BIOS?  Presumably it is since it appears OK in Device Manager?
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

gstringe

I have checked and the interesting thing is it is not an option in the bios.

thanks.

Allie-Baba

Just for you own edification (hope I don't get in trouble for this ;) )

FUBAR = a military term that means "F^#%@$'d Up Beyond All Recognition".

::)

THNX
BRAD
"I had  something to say here, but then I forgot"

gstringe

Yeah sort of like SNAFU.

By the way the laptop is fixed.  Ha after spending an hour and a half on line with Dell tech support texting back and forth and of course sharing the time with other customers he was helping...and not resolving the issue at that point I was tired of all the dumb questions etc and dinner on the table... I finally decided to take the laptop apart and see if the rj45 network socket was somehow unhooked from the MB somehow....didn't take long to find the end of the pigtail from the socket...UNPLUGGED from the MISSING mini PCI network board!!!!  Oh well...
Many thanks