• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Webkeys Prowler - Freeware

Started by scuzzy, August 14, 2001, 10:05 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Recently, I learned of Webkeys Prowler through Fathers First. After reading the intro at Fathers First, I decided to download Prowler and give it a try.

Prowler is a web filtering application which resides in the background, monitoring 100% web activity for Internet Explorer 4.0 & 5.0. So far, I'm impressed. If you have kids of any age who can access the web, this is one of those must-have tools.

Once installed, Prowler automatically loads whenever you start Windows. You'll know it's on duty by the bright-colored apple in the icon tray. One nice feature is that you can't close out the program without the right password. First, I tried deleting the program from the Startup Folder, but it wasn't there to delete. I tried to disable Prowler by using Alt-Ctrl-Delete, but it wasn't listed. I also tried End-It-All, but still couldn't disable it. Okay, how about MSCONFIG? Nope, that didn't work either. However, in a tribute to Startup Cop, it lived up to its reputation by kindly allowing me to disable Prowler on the next startup. Oh well. I wonder if there's a way to password protect Startup Cop?

Prowler is exceptionally well designed, easy to setup, and easy to use. The program allows the moderator to setup different users (each with name and password), along with several levels of protection for each user. Additionally, the level of sensitivity can also be adjusted. If a user database is not created, then the program assigns universal protection through what is known as "Default User". Basically, once prowler is installed, there is no way around the protection unless you know the moderator's password. One feature I really like is that it monitors every place visited on the Internet, and logs the date/time for each visit. Of course, the history log cannot be deleted without the right password. Heck, it can't even be viewed without the password.

I'll admit that I didn't try to visit hundreds of sites to test Prowler, but I did try one very well known "questionable" site. Prowler did not allow the page to display, but instead gave me a list of options, one of which would allow me access to the page using the password. Otherwise, forget it. Afterward, I checked the history folder, and found the questionable site URL with the word "DENIED" nestled in a bright red background. It clearly jumped out at me to tell me that somebody tried to go somewhere that was not allowed.

I didn't care for the fact that I was able to disable Prowler by using Startup Cop, but I must admit that this is one incredible program. The fact that it's free is a big plus, and it's also free of advertising and spam. It would be nice if it supported other browsers, too. But if you use only Internet Explorer (as most people), and you want to protect your kids from some of the garbage on the Internet, then this is a must-have program.

Take a look at the Virtual Tour of Webkeys Prowler here.

http://www.poasters.com/images/scuzzy.gif" border=0>

Alex Garcia
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor