• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

building a server

Started by Igloo, October 19, 2004, 11:47 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Igloo

no i am not mad, i want to build a dual 754 cpu (amd 64 3400+'s)

these will be water cooled, to keep nse down in my room.

with 1.5gb ram, dual 60gb sata, not in raid sets.

i was wondering what mother board manufacturer makes dual cpu motherboards, and where can i get one?

tnx alot,

Igloo
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
2x 250gb Maxtor S-ata drives
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
1x 40gb 1x 60gb IDE drives.
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

query

Unless someone has seen otherwise, I don't think Athlon 64 - 754 supports  SMP.  For that, you need to go to Opteron or Athlon 64-FX, which means Socket 940 and an appreciable boost in the price of the CPUs.

Igloo

god dang :(

thats expensive  :o and really too much power for what i want to use it for.....

o well, ill get a amd 3800 with 1.5gb ram, and 2x 60gb sats drives, and make myself a nice game system, and use this pc as a server, should work ok, just water cool both systems, and quiet running :)
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
2x 250gb Maxtor S-ata drives
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
1x 40gb 1x 60gb IDE drives.
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

Roopert

Igloo,

I built a 64 3400+ system last spring and love it. It's under "poster's hammer".

A few things I researched. The 64 has an onboard memory controller that when used with a low latency ram is on par with the FX-51's off board dual channel controller. If you do build an 64 system get the lowest latency ram you can. At the time I built my system it was +-5% of a FX system that was 1500.00(us) more at STOCK values. In my opinion Intel has nothing to comapre to the 64's perfomance, even if you wanted to spend the extra money.

I have 2 Hitachi 80gig sata HDs in raid 0 that when benched are just as fast as the raptor. Don't know why, my MoBo or the HDs themselves, but they kick arss and have been up almost a year. Oh, and they cost 1/2 of a raptor. They are by far the biggest "in your face" part of my system.

I am completely out of date when it comes to video card standards these days. I understand PCI express cards are faster but the question remains if it is the newer cards or the bus technology. Don't know. I have a 9800XT AGP that has not taken anything but the highest settings on all of my games, but would like think that there is a better card for the money these days.

The final bit I would offer comes right from these boards and the great people here. Get a 500W+ power supply and get a quality one.

Good Luck!
AMD 64 3400+ 1G Corsair twinxPLL 2x80G statas in R-0 ATI9800XT 256 Samsung CDR CDWR CD DVD Chaintech ZNF-150 MoBo.

+-6% of P4EE and 51-FX at 1/2 the cost :)

slaxorz

the AMD FX series of processers have the memory controller on die aswell and it works dual channel as well.