• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by query, November 16, 2000, 17:15 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

query

It should not matter which port is used for which device.

With some mainboards, moving a PCI card from one slot to another can cause a hardware redetection - because the IRQs are hardwired to the slots.  The IRQ is assigned to the USB controller, not the ports - so PnP should not cause problems.

The only time you could have problems is if you have a system with an onboard USB controller, plus another one on a PCI card - moving a device from one to the other might cause a problem, since the IRQs will be different.  Using the onboard USB ports, it should make no difference where you plug the device in.

Bubba

Thanks,,, query,,,, I have some USB ports on my Q here, but could never get them to work,,,even after I put on Win 98, that I was told, configured USB ports, or something,,,,, MY newer Altec ADA-305 speakers even had USB connetions,, but never tried to use that, just went with the old fashioned way,,,

thanks again

greg

Like Grandpa used to say, "maybe there ain't nothin' wrong, but, somethin' aint' right."

QQQ

Hi Bubba,

If you installed Win98 OSR1, the first release of win98, the USB drivers were... let's just say they didn't work.  This was corrected in the second release of win98, OSR2.

Another thing you may want to check is to see if the USB ports are enabled in your BIOS.

Bubba

My son has a new Gateway,,,,,,,,sorry,, but anyway, all his components, printer, mouse, keyboard, use the USB port, pretty cool to hookup, but I have a question, he first set it up on a simple desk,, now he is going to move it to a regular 'puter desk, with it powered down, and after he relocates all the components,,, does he have to remember the specific USB port where each component was plugged into, or will it "fix-itself" no matter where anything is plugged in after he turns it back on ??

thanks,,,,,,,,,

Like Grandpa used to say, "maybe there ain't nothin' wrong, but, somethin' aint' right."