• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Printer Electronic Chip Monitors are Not Impressing

Started by Whizbang, September 13, 2007, 21:24 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

If you want to know which printers to avoid, look on Ebay for the ones that are not drawing many bids.  The Canon i860 is still popular, too popular for me to purchase a good backup unit.  The Canon MP500, however, is not popular at all because it has cartridge chips that monitor the ink flow.  Canon CLI cartridges used in many Canon Pixma series printers cannot be found in the generic offerings because no one has been able to crack the chip code.  A German company now manufactures a reusable monitor override chip that is installed behind each cartridge; but the chip is expensive at $6.00 each; and every cartridge must have one.

I just purchased a Canon MP500 multi-function unit on Ebay for $5.00 + $21.00 S&H.  The new retail for the unit was $135.00 and up, way up at first market entry.  For some time, the only way to accommodate fresh ink was either to purchase the expensive Canon cartridges or to refill and get warnings about running out of ink.  After several warnings, you would get a very nasty warning that you have voided the warranty by not using true Canon ink.  As I recall, that statement is not true and is being challenged.  Once the messages are displayed for awhile, they apparently cease. The only problem is that you must check the cartridges yourself from that point on because the monitoring system shuts down after that.

There are now instructions for removing the attached chip on the old OEM cartridges and attaching them to generic replacements, but the monitoring system still shuts down.  That kind of corporate policy does not impress buyers at all.

Whizbang

The Canon Pixma ip3000 that I purchased new for my daughter for $63.95 + S&H in April, 2005 is now selling for more than that used on Ebay.  The very few new ones are selling for well over $100.00 + S&H.  It seems that the cartridge ink monitoring chip is making the last of the generic tolerable units very valuable indeed. 

Whizbang

I compiled a list of Canon printers and multi-function units that can accept generic cartridges.  Yeah, I guess I have too much time on my hands, but what the heck.   :-\

Strike-throughs have no known sources for unmodified generic cartridges.  . (dots) do.
The i860, and especially the i950 and i960, are consistently high-valued on resale.

Carskick

We had an i560, and it was a great printer until the paper feeder went bad. It ate ever sheet of paper that went through it. It was only about 2 years old, too. What a shame
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

scuzzy

Whizbang, you seem to have a great deal of knowledge in this area so I'm gonna tap into your experience.

I have a Canon i960 that has ONCE AGAIN run out of ink, and I'm sick of paying full price for the cartridges that average $13 each at my local stores. What do you recommend for aftermarket cartridges? Any particular retailer that you prefer?

I'm not interested in a large volume purchase. A couple cartridges of each color will probably suffice, but I'll consider any good deal.

I also have to find your poast(s) about cleaning the nozzles. I haven't had any problems with them clogging, but a good cleaning is probably in order.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Whizbang

The competition has made it much easier because bad ink is becoming scarce with most opting for American sources for ink.  I have used Ink Products.com refill ink regularly, but I have found very good cartridges on line for ridiculously low prices.  One source I have used, Itrimming.com, has been cheap, cheap, cheap.  I have had no problems at all with the ink, and email answers have been within a few hours. My last order was for 4 sets of 5 cartridges for my i860.  The total with S&H was about $28.00.  I have been considering going to the auto-refill system that Lin Exports sells.  They also sell on Ebay and are very courteous and prompt.  Ebay orders seem to be less hassle and the prices are often a bit less in order to build up customer base.

scuzzy

Thanks, Whizbang. I'll give the options a look-see.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Whizbang

For someone who is eager to purchase a new Canon chip resetter, one is listed on Ebay for the next 19 hours for the "bargain" price of $2000.00.

I plan to wait until the selling price falls to much nearer $20.00.   :o

Whizbang

I just purchased a used Canon ip3000 on Ebay for about $37.00, including S&H.  Considering that some used ones are selling for nearly $200.00 plus S&H, I must have got this one when everyone was asleep.  The ip3000 does duplex printing (both sides), but I never tried to see how to set it up on my daughter's unit because neither of us had a need for it.  The generic ink for this jewel is easy to get and is cheap.  Generic cartridges can also be purchased for $1.25 including S&H on Ebay.