• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

optical, cordless, or wheel mouse?

Started by r33dm0n3y, April 16, 2003, 13:31 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

r33dm0n3y

contemplating getting a new mouse, as mine is a  pile and was just wondering what the users of poasters opinions were on the matter.  Right now i have an old school packard bell mouse, and i want a new one to go with my new system.  i only really word process and play counter-strike and unreal tournament 2003..both fast action games.  What level dpi would be best for my application? and if anyone has had BAD experiences with a brand please post to save me some hassle. or if your mouse revolutionized your computer experience..feel free to post too. thanks
reed
EPoX 8RDA+, AMD XP 2100+, 20 Gig WD HD, Radion 7000, 48x/32x/32x TDK CD/RW, Sound Blaster Live 5.1, Windows 2000 Professional.

dcsun

I got a Microsoft Cordless Optical Blue for Christmas, and it's pretty neat.  I use it on my main system and haven't had any problems with it.  As the name implies, it's both cordless and optical, but it needs new AA batteries every 30 days or so (keeping in mind that i use it heavy pretty much 24/7/365, so your milage may vary ;)).

Neon

Hmm, well here at work we have MS 2-button serial mice, which I rather hate - though not as much as pandas, which are considerably worse smelling and dirtier. But I digress.

I'm not a shoot em up gamer - too old, bad reflexes :P - but the Logitech MX700 cordless optical mouse is supposed to be the current rave amongst that crowd. It is expensive, though.

The breakthrough in usability for me was the scrolling mouse. I work with long documents, and web surf more than I should, so rapid scrolling is a real boon. At home, I have a Logitech plain 3 button scroller, which is very good. Also a Logitech cordless 3 button scroller, which is both very good and convenient. Logitech makes a marble mouse that looks really neat, and is ambidextrous, which I may try out.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

pat

I Have the Logitech Cordless Freedom Pro keyboard and the cordless Mouseman Wheelmouse.
I've been quite pleased with them both. It's not an optical mouse, but that has never bothered me. The thumb button took a little getting used to though.
The batteries last a good 6 months or more and they get heavy use.

I can't even imagine ever going back to a corded mouse or keyboard.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

John

r33dm0n3y, I have to add my .02 cents to www.logitech.com for both their regular cordless scroll mouse and lazer scroll mouse. Although the latter does eat batteries if you are a heavy user.  All in all no one does it better for input devices then Logitech including their keyboard and mouse sold as a package deal. Try www.newegg.com or www.mwave.com and have a look.
Cogito Ergo Sum

LugwidVanB

I have the Microsoft Inteligent (sp?) optical and there is no question in my mind that it is no where as smooth in movements as the ms ball mouse I used for years. The cursers on the track ball moved as fast and smooth as the ball. This doesnt happen with the optical. It hesitates and if you move the mouse fast the dang curser will freeze. This with a new battery and the mouse directly aimed at the little light on the wired thing that plugs intot he computer, just a few inches away. There is no adjustment that will change this.

Chandler

I still use the original MS Intellimouse PS/2.  Reliable and accurate.  A classic.

Wireless mice are nice, but you have to recharge them (or put new batteries in) and in my experience unless you get an expensive one, they're less responsive than their wired counterparts.

PS/2 tends to be better than USB too, although this could be partly to do with whatever USB controller your motherboard has.

whateverjames

I bought an optical mouse by 'belkin'. The cursor will sometimes go into seizures. It doesn't happen often though and a quick shake will stop it but it's still annoying. Do not buy this one.

dcsun

Try a different mouse pad and see if that does anything to help it.  Some mouse pads are too reflective or lacking of details for an optical mouse to use it.

Colossus

ive recently bought the microsoft optical, cordless blue mouse its great as said at the top of this page i use my mouse almost 24/7 and batterys are every 30 days roughly but ive got rechargables in mine so no problems there

Chandler

One of my friends got a cheap supermarket optical mouse (I think it's actually made by Samsung or similar)

It works great for everyday use and even has a recharger built into the reciever.

It works perfectly on a trouser leg or the carpet, but put it on our desks and it goes schizo!  This is likely to be attributed to the huge pits where previous students have stuck their pens in, or it could be the thickh layer of furniture polish which gets reapplied every week!  (unfortunately the polish sticks to anything else you put on the desk).

So yes, the surface used makes a big difference!