• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Does this sound like the hdd is going bad?

Started by ingeborgdot, August 05, 2009, 09:45 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

ingeborgdot

I was working with a computer that is rarely used but for a type of server.  I use it as part of my whole house audio and to store some videos and music plus some other things.  I was working with it a little when it just slowed down to slower than a crawl.  I had to do a hard reset.  When I started it back up (or tried) it looked like it started but when I came back the screen was black.  I restarted again and it would go through the windows logo but only to a black screen.  I tried again and again but to no avail.  I then tried to boot into safe mode but it would not happen.  I shut it down and turned off all power.  I pushed the power button to release any current that was left.  I restarted and it is now running.  What does it sound like to anyone.
Antec P182, Abit IP35 Pro, Q6600, 4GB Crucial Ballistix, Leadtek Winfast PX7900GSTDH, P & C silencer quad 750 watt, 3-Seagate Sata 500, HT Omega Claro, Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 THX, Digital Doc 5+, 2 Samsung SATA DVD burners, Canopus ADVC50,Vista Ultimate Retail 64 Bit, Vista rating 5.9

Bill

It sounds like a hardware problem but before you do anything else I would make certain it's not software.  What O/S are you using and does this machine have internet access?

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

ingeborgdot

I have XP Pro SP3 on this machine.  I don't ever add anything to it other than I had just updated Firefox to its newest update.  Yes, it does have internet.
Antec P182, Abit IP35 Pro, Q6600, 4GB Crucial Ballistix, Leadtek Winfast PX7900GSTDH, P & C silencer quad 750 watt, 3-Seagate Sata 500, HT Omega Claro, Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 THX, Digital Doc 5+, 2 Samsung SATA DVD burners, Canopus ADVC50,Vista Ultimate Retail 64 Bit, Vista rating 5.9

Bill

Look at the Device Manager for anything unusual.  You might also check the event log.

I would begin with an A/V scan with as many different apps. that you have.  Also a scan with Spybot Search and Destroy and then a defrag.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

ingeborgdot

I had done an AV scan and ran a spyware one also with malwarebytes.  I had optimized and defragged also.
I can't remember where the event log is. 

Bill

Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer.

Also I should have mentioned earlier, if you haven't backed up your data, you should.

B

Bill

IF you have Belarc Advisor, run a profile and it will give you a status report generated by Smart Drive on each HD in your system.  Belarc is available from the Cnetdownload.com site

Bill

Mark H

From the description, I think something other than the hard drive is going bad. I would run memtest on your ram as one of your troubleshooting steps. I would also put in another video card if you have one laying around to determine if it is a problem, which I tend to doubt.

I had problems with my PC, which I thought was the PSU, but it ended up as RAM. Strange things can happen with bad RAM.

The power supply should also be checked out as a last hardware check if nothing else comes up.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

ingeborgdot

I went to event viewer and for the time it was having problems it says warning and then disk 8 times.  One says ftdisk and another say hidBth.  What is your take on that?

Mark H

ftdisk and hidbth are windows system files. I had system file errors on my PC and it ended up being bad sticks of RAM. I would still encourage you to run memtest86, which can be downloaded from our downloads page.

You could also have a malware problem affecting those system files, but I still think RAM is a first step to check. Typically, a hard drive is working or it is not. If you are booting into windows and able to see event files, then your hard drive might not be your problem. You can run Belarc Advisor to check the hard drive as Bill mentioned.

To troubleshoot:

1. Memtest86
2. Belarc Advisor

If it is RAM or the hard drive, you will know after running these diagnostics. RAM can make a PC do very funny things making it look like another piece of hardware, so I like to check it first. I replaced a power supply in a PC, because of random restart problems and it turned out to be 4 bad sticks of RAM.

Mark H

ingeborgdot

Memtest has been running for an hour now and no errors.

I have done thorough scanning for malware and found nothing.

ftdisk and hidbth are systems files but what is the disk warning?

Mark H

An ftdisk disk warning usually is caused by removing an external drive (USB for example) without safely removing the hardware in Windows first. Maybe your hard disk is seemingly disconnecting causing the error. Have you checked your hard drive cables?

Since your memory seems fine, I would next download the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic tools and use them on the hard drive to determine if it is the problem. That should either convict or acquit the hard drive as the culprit. Do you know your make of hard drive?

Hopefully you have backed up your data just in case.

Mark H