• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Hard drive for storing files from Windows AND Linux.

Started by Traveller, February 07, 2009, 10:01 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Traveller

Hi All.

I was wondering if it was possible to have a hard drive which I use to store files on (no O/S installed) and be able to access those files from hard drives with Windows AND Linux installed on them.

Thanks.

Buffalo2102

The important thing to consider is the file system you will use.  Linux OS's tend to use ext2 or 3 file systems natively whereas Windows generally uses NTFS or FAT32.  I have found that most Linux distros will read a FAT32 file system but Windows won't generally read ext file systems.  There are small Windows plug-ins that claim to enable Windows to read ext2 or 3 but I haven't any experience with them.

Best thing is to do a bit of research on the capabilities of your Linux distro.

Buff
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Traveller

OK, thanks Ja/Buff.

Time to carry out some experiments then!

pat

In Ubuntu, a Linux distribution, I can read all files supported by programs installed on Windows on my other drives.
As buff noted though, I cannot read Linux files using Windows.

I see no reason you can't do what you want there though.

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Traveller

OK, thanks Pat. I initially had Ubuntu 6.06 installed, however, due to it performing sluggishly because my pc is too old, I was advised to try Xubuntu, so until I upgrade my pc, I am going to have to try Xubuntu.

tanked

Set a partition on one drive, or instal two drives one for each Filesystem.

Traveller

Thanks tanked.

Just to update, I formatted my Ubuntu drive and installed Xubuntu instead, which as mentioned below, I was advised due to sluggish performance and guess what? The Xubuntu was MUCH slower that the Ubuntu. Probably because the Ubuntu was an older version and the Xubuntu was the latest one.

So, does anyone know what version of Ubunutu was around at the time of W98? The earliest I've managed to find is version 4.10 (2006) called Warty Warthog, haha.

Thanks.

Traveller

Haha. Was Ubuntu even around then??

Thanks for your effort. REALLY appreciate it.

I've burned the ISO for 4.10 and will try it out next. How come 4.10 is 2006 and 5.10 is 2005? I got mine from here -

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/

According to that 5.10 is 2007.

Traveller

Just been informed that 4.10 was the very first Ubuntu in 2004; none before then.

Traveller

You mean your Mom has important dates written all over her arm?? Haha.