• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by scuzzy, November 20, 2000, 21:10 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Thanks for the info, Leno. You're not the first to warn about problems with MP7. I've heard many testimonials of others who have struggled because of MP7. Fortunately, it hasn't caused me any problems, yet. However, I've heard enough to make me consider deleleting it from my system.

Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Joanie

Hey Leno,

Thank you for sharing that with us. You more than likely saved many of us from lots of frustration.

My next computer will have a DVD and CDRW so I will pay close attention to avoiding Media Player 7. How about ReaAudio, wonder of that will work OK.

A few years back Real Audio was the cause of many of my computer problems but they have since got their act together and it seems to work fine with everything on my system.

Thanks Again,

Joanie

QQQ

Hi Joanie,

I installed Real Player 7 plus to test it for my cousin.  I have a Sony cdrw in my system and there do not seem to be any problems.

One thing I do recommend, though, is running Ad-Aware after installing Real Player, as it contains spyware.  The programs runs just fine after the spyware is removed.

Neon

On a related note, when I tried to install MS Media Player 7, I got a "Windows Media Update Notifier is unable to detect available updates" error. According to the MS knowledge base, it requires Internet Explorer 4.0 or higher to be installed on your computer. In other words, it has to phone home before you can install it. Think I'll stick with Media Player 6.4. It works ok.

Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

scuzzy

I have to agree with you, Neon. As "neat" as MP7 is, it has too many setbacks to make it worth the trouble. - SCUZZY

Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Bubba

I think my burning software is working ok,, I have a Mitsumi internal burner with Nero software [ still have the original cd-rom also] I noticed with the ver. 7 player, you can not "stretch" the video window, you can only view it at it's default size. Also,,, when I play a cd [ music] my Q uses Real Player to play, that seems ok,,, but when I open a music cd with the ver 7 player, it jerks and skips,,, or in other words,, does not play worth a sh**. The media player does ok with mp3s, but it will not play a music cd ??????

dang Computers,,,

Like Grandpa used to say, "maybe there ain't nothin' wrong, but, somethin' aint' right."

Leno

Some of you may remember I had a problem over the weekend with my DVD-ROM on my Quantex notebook.  Basically my system froze everytime I put a CD into the drive.  Well, I finally called Microsoft and determined that the problem was between my Sony Spressa CD Burner software and Windows Media Player 7 software I downloaded a few weeks ago.  Amazingly and thankfully the problem was not with my Q notebook.

DO NOT DOWNLOAD MEDIA PLAYER 7!!!!  It conflicts with your burner software (even if it's an external) and wrecks your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM because MP7 has it's own burning and extracting software and the two obviously conflict.

Please avoid this problem...I spent probably at least half a day trying to figure the problem out on my own and I'm out of Tylenol

Peace,

Leno