• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

A: Drive Inaccessible - Reasons?

Started by Rubicone, November 21, 2003, 20:01 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Rubicone

This is on a Toshiba Satellite 4060XCDT. Tried to uninstall the controller in Device Manager and rebooting without any luck. Win XP Pro is the OS. No problems are indicated within Device Manager/Event Viewer relating to this.

query

Will the system boot from the floppy drive?  If not, the drive may be faulty.

If it will, it's likely some sort of DMA conflict - are there any PCMCIA cards in the system?

Rubicone

>Will the system boot from the floppy drive?

No

>If not, the drive may be faulty.

Is there a way of confirming this?

query

If you cannot format or boot from a known-good floppy diskette, the drive needs to be replaced.

Rubicone

I was trying to access the BIOS to see if there was something amiss there but unsure how to access it - tried pressing Del and F1 without any luck. Do you know by chance?

Should the drive as you suggest need replacing does one need to purchase it from Toshiba, or is there a generic brand one can use? If you know how to remove the existing drive and installing the new one, or of where I may find instructions then let me know also. Thanks.

query

The manual should indicate the key sequence.  Sometimes, on a Toshiba, a boot from a floppy diskette containing the setup files is required.

The drive should be a standard slimline floppy drive - depending on where it is, it may require simply the removal of a module or a few screws - or quite a bit of dismantlyng - to replace.

Rubicone

I figured out how to access the BIOS just hold the ESC key for those who are interested. Everything seems ok.

Mark H

Quote from: Rubicone on November 21, 2003, 21:25 hrs
I figured out how to access the BIOS just hold the ESC key for those who are interested. Everything seems ok.

I take that to mean the drive works?

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.