• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Blu-Ray Bandwagon

Started by scuzzy, February 21, 2008, 18:56 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Now that the funeral arrangements are being made for Toshiba's HD DVD format, people might be tempted to run out and purchase a Blu-Ray unit. Before purchasing your own Blu-Ray player for your fancy 1080p TV set, you may want to read this  informative MSNBC article.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Mark H

I actually bought a Blu-Ray player last November. It works very well and it looks like I picked the correct format. Really, I thought it was a no brainer, so even Ace could have figured it out.  ;)

Mark H; I buy Blu-ray and plain old DVDs
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Buffalo2102

I wonder now whether those movies that were released exclusively on HDDVD will now be re-released on Blu-Ray.  And if so, how long it will take.  Until they are, there is still something to be said for buying one of the recent dual-format drives.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Ace

Mark's right, even I did... after I read that article Scuzzy cited.  I mean, I gotta figure I could get a good price on an HD DVD set now...

Last time I was faced with something like this was Beta vs VHS.  Heck, I even guessed right on that.  Although only time I use tapes now is to watch tv shows or old (to us) movies.  And I'll probably go with a 720p tv when we finally go HD.  We'll keep the big square RCA analog for movies (DVD and VHS) downstairs and just get a converter.  Shoot, DVD is already pretty crisp, so no real incentive to go High Def on DVDs anyway (any more than I have the urge to get a SACD player, since CD's are clear as is).

Ace; v. 1.0
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

I'm considering holding out until after the next format war. Like Ace, I'm happy enough with my current CD, DVD, vinyl, cassette, and 8 track collection.

The way things usually go, the next format war will be between a couple of 2" flash units. One will hold approximately 12 weeks of 3D TV programming, the other 15 weeks worth. Obviously, the latter will win.

Scuzzy; I'll opt for the Death-Ray.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

Look, if you're gonna go with the flash units, I can sell you some. 

I think I've still got a stash of the blue dot bulbs, that I used to use in my Kodak Instamatic camera as a kid.  Plus, I might even have an electronic one that I used with my SLR, when I bothered using my SLR.  That's not to be confused with an SLI, which I cannot use. 

Ace; don't look right at them when you use them, though.
Ring bells for service.