• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

AV/firewall 'pre-update'

Started by sentofuno, May 14, 2004, 18:24 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

sentofuno

i have zonealarm and pc-cillin 2002 as my firewall and AV programs. if i have to reinstall windows and download all the updates for everything from windows to adobe acrobat it means my pc is vulnerable for a while before i can safely say i'm secure.

if i know i have to reinstall, can i just take the last definition updates etc and save them to floppy and load back on before i connect for the first time? if so how do i do it?

thanks

saoirse

Yes that's possible, though to be thorough, you need to know all update file names.

With PC-Cillin, virus definition updates can be downloaded separately from here.  Once installed, simply replace your existing 'definition' file (lpt$vpn.*) with the one on your floppy.

The latest scanning engine for US versions over 11.0 from here.

saoirse

sentofuno

i d/led the uk version of the scan engine, but in the readme under installation it says 'refer to documentation'.

do you know what i do with the files?

query

They need to be extracted to the program's directory -- Trend has directions on how to update the scan engine for PC Cillin on its website (www.trendmicro.com).

sentofuno

sorry, i thought i'd poasted to express my gratitude but seems i hadn't..

THANKS. :P

i'll look into it but i think i had the uptodate scan engine anyway, so maybe not a problem after all.

Whizbang

Quote from: sentofuno on May 14, 2004, 18:24 hrs
if i have to reinstall windows and download all the updates for everything from windows to adobe acrobat it means my pc is vulnerable for a while before i can safely say i'm secure.
Are you on dialup or DSL/cable?  DSL and cable allow hardware router that would have rigid firewall.  It would dramatically reduce your vulnerability.

query

Reduce, but not eliminate - and not substitute for a software firewall.

Hardware firewalls are not sufficiently adaptive - if something gets in through a website, say, most will merrily pass the outbound calls that result.

You -must- use a software firewall these days, or you're playing with fire.

sentofuno

whiz, i'm just a home user with one machine and a DSL modem. i don't think its necessary to go that far just for my setup :)

in future if i know i have to reinstall windows i'll just think ahead