• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

EIDE & SATA HDDs

Started by mbaldw, July 25, 2008, 05:57 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

mbaldw

Hi folks,

last night when I powered up my PC one of the hard disks made an unnerving ââ?¬Ë?squealingââ?¬â?¢ noise for a few seconds.   The PC booted fine and I didn't experience any problems (or further squealing) during usage.   However, as I'm looking to upgrade to more space I'm thinking this may be an opportune time to do so!   At the moment, I have two drives: both EIDE, one with XP Home installed and the other (the squealer) with my files on.   Since the O/S one is relatively new (~1 year old), I'm only looking to replace the data drive.   Does anyone know whether there are likely to be any problems if I swap the data EIDE for an SATA drive?   Can the two be run simultaneously or am I likely to encounter problems?   I have a spare SATA slot on my mobo and, in case it's likely to have any impact, I currently have two optical drives running off SATA.

Cheers,
Marc.

abseh1

Are you positive that the noise is not from a bad fan....especially the CPU....that could fry things quickly?
===============================================================

Sata's don't need jumpers in order to work right. Also they don't have a label as far as master/slave

It should be fine

If you have a problem...you may need to set the bios boot order to find/boot the OS drive first...but I doubt it
Just put your ide as master

scuzzy

The two will work fine together. As suggested by abseh1, you might need to reorganize your boot order in the BIOS. But even if the BIOS places the SATA drive first, it will be passed over during the boot until the BIOS finds the drive with the OS. Still, check the boot order after installation to prevent needless slowdowns during boot.

The squealing noise is almost certain to be a fan.

BTW: I'd install the OS on the SATA drive and work toward making the EIDE drive obsolete.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

mbaldw

Thanks for the advice folks.   I will check again next time the PC makes the squealing (it hasn't done it the last few times I've booted up) in case it is the fan.

Cheers,
Marc.