• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

re installing windows XP Pro SP2

Started by Chris2000, May 29, 2008, 12:27 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris2000

I think I'd like to reinstall or 'wipe' my hard drive and reinstall xp pro (have a cd rom).  Is there anything special I should be aware of?  Or can I just pop it in and have it reinstall?  I know I have to save any files elswhere (I have a second disk that I can put my important/personal stuff on).  I think I ought to do this because my machine has slowed down noticeably.

Bill

The only real issue depends on the HD type. If is IDE, windows has drivers, if it SATA, those drivers need to be installed separately.  Very early after you start the CD installation, there is a question posed, by windows, asking about driver installation.  If you miss it, because it is very quick, you can start over again.  The first time I installed XP on a new drive, I think I had to try about 3 times to catch the option to install SATA drivers.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit