• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

SLI and the FAMILY STONE

Started by Ace, January 14, 2008, 15:29 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

I really did not care for changing the power supply, back in that old Gigabyte and then to the Asus replacement in my first Monarch...  I did a few power demand probes, and nothing suggested I would have to have more.  These cards don't have a plug in on them for a direct power supply, so they're just working off the board. 

I've found tech sites with video card BIOS versions, to download... After it's downloaded how do you change the BIOS for a card(s)?

EVGA hasn't done anything with the BIOS on these GPUs since 2006, so that doesn't seem to be a big issue...

Ace; Watts in your wallet?
Ring bells for service.

pat

Well, let me ask this.

Have you tried the new card independently of the older one?

You may also try reversing the order of the cards and see if that makes a difference.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Ace

No, and simply because I'm trying to keep things working as best as possible... It's a thought.  I've got the hub back in recognition, but there's some "other device" not recognized, that can't pull any drivers.  Since it's unknown, can't tell what this thing isn't seeing (!).  It's listed under the network adapters, and NVidia network bus enumerator, and above the ports list under device manager.

I lost my Earthlink connection, and had to reestablish the dial out number last night (!,,,).  One thing I looked for too on my/our mobo was some SLI switch, but seemed to be no such thing. 

I'm looking at power supply alternatives, so if anyone has suggestions I'm all thumbs.  It's in that Sonata "silent" case where the power supply was supposed to match up for quietness.  I really don't care if it roars, if it would work, at this stage. 

Ace; 28 Days Later
Ring bells for service.

pat

I have two Nvidia Network controllers listed there, you may have to reinstall your network drivers from the Asus Cd.

There is no SLI jumper on these boards, supposed to be automatic.

I picked up the reversing the graphic cards from here. Seems to be a lot on the subject there.

I have a Seasonic S12 series power supply, it's quiet and has plenty of connections almost too many.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Ace

I'll check out the Seasonic.  I could not find an entry on NVidia's SLI board that seemed to mention switching/reversing the cards... Don't know what they called it, but will keep shopping.  Since I lost the monitor once already, my fear is swapping them and going with it "anew" could cause difficulties there again.  It would seem I'm so close, since things are looking to be configured correctly. 

I've tried the Asus update mode of BIOS update, and keep getting the same result; going with the newest BIOS works up till the last stage when it says it's only 86%, and have to bail out.  I tried downloading the file and updating, as well as the straight from internet mode.  There are other means to do it, but that was the most direct and simple...

Ace; blind in one ear
Ring bells for service.

Bill

You should also probably read some of Whiz's ruminations on the modular power units.  Many seem pretty fond of the variable number of power leads.  Makes for a 'cleaner' install.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

scuzzy

I purchased a Thermaltake 430W PSU several months ago and I am very pleased with it. The build quality is great, and the noise level - while not completely silent - is pleasantly low.

I too recommend a model with modular cables, but it's not absolutely necessary. The model I purchased uses the standard bundled cable. Here's some Thermaltake PSUs you might consider.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

scuzzy

Hey, check out this ABS Tagan BZ 1100W. It even comes with a pair of gloves.

Scuzzy; it looks like it can power your refrigerator, too.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

Judas Priest, don't go with the low-end of the spectrum...  Like I need a $350 mistake at this point of my experiment. 

Mine's supposed to be 450 watt, although I know most Sonata's state a 380 watt "true power" built in.  Going by the packing list...  If I gotta, and I sure hope I don't gotta, I'll probably shoot for a 550+ or so something that's pretty straightforward and around $100 something.  I did (finally) figure out what the modular thing means.  That would seem to make it a lot more convenient, since that bundle of snakes just makes me nervous.  Only weird connect on mine I believe one direct to the fan, as I think it controls it off the back panel (as soundproofing).  No plugs into the video cards separately, no special auxiliary plug ins... only one SATA plug being used.  So I gotta figure I'm not gonna need a lot of connections, but just consistency across them. 

I looked over Whiz's previous poasts and the recommendations of various folks so that ought to help.  Any PSU companies to avoid?  I'm figuring the PC Power (OCZ), Seasonic, Silverstone are okey doke.  Antec? Thermaltake?  Ok too?  I won't go off-brand/cheapo.

Ace; I like Judas Priest now that Rob's back. 

Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

PSUs with modular cables will have "outlets" in which you plug in small series of cables. This does nothing for performance, but it allows the user to customize the amount of cables used for a particular setup. It makes a less cluttered installation.

Take a look at this series of Newegg pics from a Thermaltake unit: Modular Cabling

Scuzzy; I'm pretty modular myself.

Ace

Thank you for telling me so. Usually Buff would show up by now to tell me so, so it's nice of you to step up and tell me.  I know my PSU is under two "bars" so I'll take a look to see just where the fan points and how stuff comes out of it.  I know what connection is looped under it, and the others are bundled on the front end cage.  It's pretty tidy, as Monarch just pulled the necesssary ones and tied the rest together. 

Thermaltake seems to have a decent offering at that price point, and thought they were pretty respected... I've never had one die (I had replaced that old one, but then found it wasn't necessary... and that was a cheapo swap).  I'll also check for the SLI label on any; since that is the point...

Ace; I wish I was part of the Modular Squadulor
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

I've always believed that you get what you pay for. You know... the caveat empty thing. Like anyone else I also like a good deal. Thankfully there are plenty to be had.

Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, Thermaltake, as well as Enermax (and a few others) are brands worthy of consideration. PC Power & Cooling is probably the Cadillac of the group, but you'll find plenty of BMWs and Lexus-type brands out there. You'll want to watch out for the Yugos. I'm very pleased with the Thermaltake unit that I bought and I would strongly consider another Thermaltake for future builds.

I would think that the SLI label thingy is important.

I suppose that the unit you need will largely depend on how much you plan to tax it.

Scuzzy; the difference between taxes and death is that death doesn't get worse each time Congress convenes.

Ace

Yes; Enermax.  I forgot them.  You know, it's one of those things... I might get lucky here, and get this thing to actually run.  And find the 450 I've got is adequate, as it should be per the pieces involved.  Or, it could be the culprit and everything is spinning off the power debt (as, I believe, Buff told me, once). 

Murphy, across the street, would probably confirm per his laws that if I DON'T replace it then by golly, it was the problem.  And if I do, it won't matter the least bit.  Besides his freaky Grinch decoration, I really hate that guy sometimes.

Or, what I fully expect, is my economical second card upgrade plus the SLI strip plus a power supply plus who knows what else will be a rebuild and (Ooh! I should go to a Dual Core Processor, too!) a big stupid chunk of change, of which will take my dang tax rebate in its entirety and I'll wind up supporting some third world manufacturing growth when I really should have been spending my money on good old American computer hardware, or a new TV.  And, have no money left for games, anyway.  Or, inflatable holiday decorations I could pop and fire across the street at that guy...

Ace; I usually pay for what I get.
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

I would avoid Sparkle PSUs.

There's something about an electrical power box named Sparkle that just seems wrong. It's sort of like buying a car manufactured by Crash Auto. The last thing I want is for my PSU to sparkle.

Scuzzy; I might buy some Explode ammo for my Glock.

pat

I agree, go for the dual core. Prices on those are so low they are almost giving them away and ram is still at rock bottom prices, for DDR2 anyways. So you might as well pick up another couple of gigs there.

Anyway, if I were to buy another power supply today I'd take a good look at this one here. The Corsair's were being made by Seasonic, I can't be exactly sure on this one as I can't see a picture of the UL code.

Tomorrow is another story.

Ace

I had Corsair memory, previously, so that brand would be ok.  I see Mushkin makes PSU's too. 

I did the chipset driver reinstall; didn't affect the mystery device found hardware thingy, which remains.  I thought the same about Sparkles.  Sparkle Plenty was in the Dick Tracy comic strip.  I also wouldn't go with Crackle, Flaming or Smoking or Sitting Here Dead as brands.

Ace; Ford might just give up on the Taurus reincarnation and go with Crash.  Or Bumpercar.
Ring bells for service.

Ace

Well, I've had an eventful day with this thing and have got a lot done and accomplished nothing, in a manner of speaking.

Just as an FYI:  in order, I (re)installed the Soundmax audio driver set off the mobo disk, uninstalled Asus Update as I've persistently gotten that "86% there" BIOS internet download from it.  Reinstalled Asus, but did NOT go through the internet update on the tool itself because that has always taken a long time and seems to glitch (shuts it down...) after doing so.  So left the thing in its original version off the disk, and then did a BIOS update from the saved file I had.  And, it worked!  Actually did the flash, rebooted, and worked!  Also lost the "unknown device" pop up, which may well have been solved with the audio drivers.

Feeling brave, I figured may as well click the SLI enable again.  Rebooted, and voila!  Stupid thing got to the Welcome screen, went dark, and rebooted..  Finally, went to SafeMode.  Naturally can't do the NVidia panel in SafeMode.  Restarted, and same stall.  So went back as SafeMode, found a restore point about 20 minutes prior (after the Soundmax reinstall) and it came back fine, but naturally without SLI.

At this point, I don't know what it CAN be besides a PSU deficit...  I'm pretty much out of updates, and software attempts.  I would think, from what I've been told (probably need more told me so's) that the monitor shutdown, gasping at boot, logic of not enough juice to crank both cards, would all add up.  The power supply is 450 watt per the invoice, and I know that's low end as far as SLI, so I will probably try a new 600 watt to see if that's the real fix. 

I did find a modular Antec at NewEgg that's SLI, and at my sub-$100 price point, so may choose that.  I'll naturally welcome other advice; will see what you find out Mark as I know you were keen on the Silverstone so will watch how yours comes out.  I don't want to go sub-600 watts, just because I don't want a "Ooh...!  Close!  if only I had just a little more!" reaction.

Ace; acetone
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Well one thing is certain, this Monark thingie, has diverted all your otherwise bountiful energy away from what should have been the focus, namely that we missed Fat Tuesday and now we're well into this period of great personal sacrifice without one single solitary poast from you about it.  Dang Bunny will come and go and we'll still be SLI ing.  Mind you, I blame this Monark Monach wait King beige -OK it's black- box thingie. 

Bill

Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

You are as blind as a bat; as in "Louisville Slugger."  You doofus; I had as my imprimatur (well, saying thingy by the pig avatar) on Tuesday "Big FAT Tuesday."  And, for Ash Wednesday, I had not one but TWO (2) poastings.... First:  "dust to dust; where's my Swiffer?" and secondly "Ashes to ashes... funk to funky" in memory of David Bowie.

Geez Louise.  I would think, with all the consternation and mishaps and ignoring Buff's best advice, that I would get a "attaboy, Jester" for upholding not only holiday references but also for crafting what has to be the longest dang Blonde joke in the history of poastdom.  Not that it was particularly noteworthy, or humorous, but by golly it sure was long.  AND introducing gratuitous nudity, in the mind of the beholder, if one was so inclined.  I was not inclined, personally, as I need to sit up to even be able to see this monitor with trifocals at all well.

As you noted, there is no putty colored anythings around.  All is black, particularly my mood most nights staring at the next "Huh.  This is surprising..." surprise. 

Ace; I will admit I didn't acknowledge the Year of the Rat...  Hopefully, there's still time.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

'Doofus' who are you calling a doofus you you SLI-der.  And what could some reference to David somebody have to do with the dang Bunny, huh?

I will admit that I chuckled at your Blond(e) joke but taking off a sweater is a long stretch to peeling a hard boiled, colored  egg from the Easter Hare. 

Bill; I prefer them fried.

Ace

I like mine over medium.  You know, you're just mad because you thought I had this thing working when I first thought I had it working and didn't realize it wasn't working, so you missed your chance to say "told you so" that it wasn't.  Working.

We've got a month plus before we can celebrate egg-laying rabbits, so I'll just try to promote egg-laying poasts till then.  I did look at PSU's at Best Buy today, but as usual they were overpriced and peculiar.  My wife had a $100 gift card for Linens and Things, but they didn't have any there.

Ace; linens, or things.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Newegg has PSUs on sale now.  I received a promo mailing from them yesterday, and again, today, and, I think, the day before.

B

Ace

I couldn't find the Antec I'd located yesterday, but will shop through.  Would figure them to be the best source...

Oh; and Buff,

I did the Rivatuner download, thank you.  The two cards are showing as identical, as figured, but not BIOS.
Old card is rev. A2 with BIOS 5.73.22.18.24
New card is B1 with BIOS 5.73.22.51.45

I was in the middle of a site on BIOS for Videocards and their 'how to flash an nVidia card BIOS" and it froze, so will search for a look at how to.  I've gotta see, with two cards, if a BIOS update can be done on ONE (and not the other...) or Both at once, or consecutively, or whatever...

Ace; Fat Saturday, at the moment.
Ring bells for service.

Buffalo2102

I have read that the original SLI set-ups required that the two video cards have matching BIOSes to ensure smooth operation.  However, I'm not sure that the modern nVidia SLI drivers require it.  Given that flashing BIOSes is somewhat risky, I would do some more research on the subject before going for it - I wouldn't want you to screw up your PC based solely on my advice!

Having said that, if you are comfortable with flashing (and what good jester wouldn't be?) then it is probably a good idea to get both BIOSes flashed to the latest version anyway.  I'm not sure how you would flash the separate cards but it may be safest to have them installed separately as single cards when you flash them.

Buff; decorating today
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Ace

Who are you decorating?

I thought "well, I'll locate the newer BIOS and then figure to maybe flash the old one with that" except there's no listing anywhere that I can find OF the newer one's.  I did find one for the older.  Also looked at the instructions on "how" by creating a floppy but really didn't understand what/how to do it.  Under the circumstances I probably won't go for it unless I'm really confident it's logical and relevant.  Also couldn't figure how you direct it TO just one of the cards, and I really don't want to rip them out again since I know the hardware is set correctly and both cards show as they should. 

Just a "last gasp" before resorting to the power thingy.  Thought I found a good deal Coolermaster but it had the bundle of snakes instead of modular; I'm thinking I'd like the modular approach.

Ace; I hate snakes.

Ring bells for service.

pat

This just keeps getting better and better. It's just like one of those reality shows where a contestant is given a couple of sticks and some string and a paper clip and told to go out and survive for 14 episodes on their will power.

Newegg had a great deal on a Thermaltake 600 watt power supply 89$ with a 40$ rebate and free shipping, I was all set to poast a link, but today they are out of stock.

Anyway, I got to cross the crossroads of America on the Indiana toll road yesterday. Had to go into Chicago to work for the day. I have one of those I-pass automatic toll devices that deduct your tolls when you drive under except on the one where it didn't and I had to back up into on-coming traffic to change lanes to get to one that did, now that's reality.

pat; How long is your piece of string?

Ace

If I was on that show, after the 13th episode I'd come across the box of extra string and sticks I forgot I'd stored away earlier.

I'm in my crawlspace and I find the box where I figured I put the old old power supply... plus, there were extra cables in it.  Which, included some that came with this computer that I apparently stuffed in there as I didn't require them.  Including the analog monitor cable, which I almost purchased when I lost the thing on the reboot cycle. 

And, the SLI connector that came with the mobo.

Which, is not identical to the one I purchased on eBay.  Which, I installed.  Which, didn't make a difference, but what a stupid am I. 

That was one dang cold day to drive to Chicago.   I haven't been on the toll road since they went to the auto cards, so I don't know what to expect.  Except that I don't want to find out.

Ace; no global warming here, with the second day at 1 or 2 above.
Ring bells for service.

pat

Well, it's not much warmer that that here.

You could put that one you bought up on Ebay in the hopes that some other forgetful person stuffed theres away in a box somewhere and is in need of one, heck you might even get something extra for your trouble.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the tollroad, but if you have to go downtown the Skyway is the fastest, bestest way to get there from here.

Lets see, a new video card and a possible new power supply and a few bucks on spare parts. You're almost to a nice new 8800GT.

Glad I wasn't one of those who said anything about told you so stuff, because I wouldn't go there.

Ace

I realize that; you know, who knows what that new card may have acted like, too... and here's the thing I've noticed; the SLI effects of ANY two cards look to be twice the performance of one of them.  So that's just something I'd like to see, since that was the rationale in going with this board in the first place.  I still might pick up some decent discounts along the way.  Hey; you wanna buy a barely used Asus SLI strip...?

There's an Antec Neopower 650 watt that's half modular, for $99, down from $159.  I want to be sure any PSU fits this thing easily, and is the same configuration (bundle comes out the end opposite of the switch, any fans are on the ends and not the middle... and fit this Sonata case).  Seems I can get some bargain rates on non-modular makes.   I just hope I don't get confused with "what the heck plugs into this one..?" with a new one.  Or choosing what modular goes where.  Or "how come I don't have one of these" conundrums. 

I'm pretty easily confused and conundrumed when facing a fistful of wires.  I about jumpered when I opened that box of loose cables.

Ace; if it still doesn't work I'll offer a package deal duo SLI cards with strip on eBay and buy the stupid new card.
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

What do you mean, you about jumpered? How do you do that?

You might consider just giving up on this venture and selling everything but the power cord. Actually, you might want to sell the power cord too, since that might be the entire problem. Then use the money to buy a nice set of drums so that you can accompany yourself when you play the guitar. Or the mandarin.

Out of curiosity - I don't want to go back and read - did you try the new card by itself just to make sure that it works properly and without any errors?

Also, make sure that you are subscribed to Newegg's newsletter so that you can get the special deals. The codes only work with a valid subscription.

That Antec Neopower 650 sounds like a nice deal. As far as the modular cables are concerned, you'd have to be a total fool to be confused by them.

Scuzzy; wait a minute...