• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

aceespoint through wireless laptop>wireless router?

Started by halokid, March 22, 2009, 00:20 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

halokid

i have two routers that cant bridge wirelessly....i want to use my wireless laptop to retrieve the internet from one router then use a ethernet cable connected to the laptop to act as a modem connected to the other router...does that make sense lol? any help would be greatly appreciated. so i guess im sayin that using the laptop to bridge the routers :)

Mark H

Your wireless router should have ethernet ports on it as well, so configure your second router to act as a switch only so it doesn't assign IP addresses. Connect this second router to the first router by an ethernet cable. It works better if the two routers are connected so the internet and network can flow to your other PCs even if the laptop is off.

Ideally, the wireless router and a an ethernet switch would be used, which would act the same way as I outlined above.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Mark H

Quote from: JA on March 22, 2009, 10:10 hrs
His two routers are not wireless, are they?

It doesn't matter. He can still connect the two routers by an ethernet cable without requiring the laptop as a bridge. I have a PC acting as a router is connected to a 4 port switch. The 4 port switch has a wireless router connected, a printer and two PCs.

He doesn't need the laptop to use a a bridge.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

halokid

thx for the replies :) let me be more specific......i want to share my internet connection that i get wirelessly to a route so the 2nd router can share that connection

so internet received from laptop distributed to 2nd wired routerthe two routers are too far apart to be connected with a cable

halokid

this is what i wanna do im just having problems setting it up so that the laptop acts as a modem and shares the internet through the second router (router 2) i want internet  capabilities at router 2 and its devices... thx for helping is this possible through ics? how do i do it and what gateway and  dns etc do i use for the devices?

halokid

Ok had my words a bit jumbled but i figured out what i did wrong

update: i had assumed that the ics on the laptop could handle two subnets... i was wrong lol.... now it works... despite using ics from a laptop i still had to assign router 2 an ip with the same subnet as router 1
atleast thats what i think made it work lol the nic of the laptop is plugged into the wan port of router 2..... after two sleepless nights i think i got it.. and am a lil wiser from it.

now i wonder how much more ms of ping ill get on this new side of the net work  :o

so the above chart now is working yay!!!! all because i dont want to pay 60-80 bones on a wireless reciever for my xbox....now i have another router to get internet from as well.. this ability might come in handy to someone who  uses one of those wan wireless cards for their internet... me thinks