• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Wireless Networking in XP Home (SP2)

Started by mbaldw, May 11, 2006, 05:22 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

mbaldw

Hi,

I?m having an issue getting my new laptop to see the other computers on my home network.   I have a Linksys router and at the moment there are two XP PCs and a Windows 98 laptop connected to the network, sharing files and using a central internet connection and printer.   The problem is that although I can access the internet on the new laptop and can get it into the correct workgroup, it won?t see any of the other PCs.   My desktop recognises that the laptop is in the workgroup, but cannot connect to it.

Everything else has been configured manually so far ? I specified the IP and gateway address in the TCP/IP configuration panel of the WLAN as well as the workgroup.   However, looking at the network connections panel all I see are three connections: WLAN, IEE1394 and LAN.   I cannot see any sign of an Internet Gateway or a Network Bridge (the other XP PCs have both of these).   When I try clicking to setup a new local network, the only device it brings up is the LAN Ethernet adapter, which isn?t the one I?m using ? there is no option to select wireless.

Can anyone suggest where I might be going wrong here?   The laptop is running XP Home (Service Pack 2) and connects via an Acer InviLink 802.11g WLAN mini-PCI module using WPA2-Personal encryption.   I use Trend?s firewall and AV and so have consequently disabled the XP firewall.   I?ve checked the firewall and it looks to be correctly configured ? I?ve even tried with the firewall turned off and it makes no difference.

Cheers,
Marc.

freelance

defo firewall problem, try turning trends firewall off. even better add the ip addresses of the other achines to the firewalls trusted list.
ok so the following is my pc:
asus M2N4-SLI, athlon X2 5000+ cpu, geforce 7600GT , 80gb MAXTOR SATAII hdd, 4gb ddr2 ram, silverstone edumon (google it and u'll find it!!!) sata dvd rw dual layer, 6x usb 2, and tv card (with video recorder ps2 etc)

mbaldw

Hi Freelance,

I've configured the firewall to allow access to all other machines on the network (and v/v).   I've also tried turning the firewall off and it makes no difference!   What I'm really having trouble fathoming is why my desktop can see all the PCs in the workgroup (including the laptop), but the laptop cannot even *see* any of the others! I'd have more of a clue when it came to troubleshooting if they could at least all see one another, even if they couldn't connect. I?ve checked all the usual stuff I can think of (i.e. subnet mask, workgroup spelling, router WLAN config etc.) but have drawn a blank.

Cheers,
Marc.

freelance

can the lappie get on the internet? can the lappie print to a network printer?
asus M2N4-SLI, athlon X2 5000+ cpu, geforce 7600GT , 80gb MAXTOR SATAII hdd, 4gb ddr2 ram, silverstone edumon (google it and u'll find it!!!) sata dvd rw dual layer, 6x usb 2, and tv card (with video recorder ps2 etc)

mbaldw

Hi Freelance,

Yes, the laptop can access the internet, but it cannot see the networked printer.   I have managed to get a default gateway to appear in the network connections control pannel, but I am still lacking a network bridge.   Everytime I try and manually create one (either between the LAC and WLAN, WLAN and 1394, or as is currently working well on my other lappie, between the LAC and 1394 connection), the default gateway disappears, I loose my internet connection and, although I can then access the workgroup, it still won't even see that any of the other PCs are there, let alone connect to any of them.   Similarly, when I do get into the workgroup my desktop sees the laptop, but it cannot connect to it.   This is the same with the firewall on and off.

I'm starting to pull my hair out now!!
Cheers,
Marc.

freelance

have you got any folders shared on the lappie and other computers. i sometimes get an anomoly if all the pcs dont have for instance root c: shared.

mbaldw

That's got it!   Thanks very much freelance.   Incidentally, I notice that when I look in my network places, this laptop doesn't have the "Web Client Network" and "Microsoft Terminal Services" that the other XP machines have.   I don't know what they are -- and their absence doesn't seem to impact the network performance -- should they be there or can I live without them?   Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers,
Marc.

freelance

i think their things you can add if you go to network connections, wireless netork connection and install.

but their not neccessary as far as i know.