• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

New Digital Camera

Started by Carskick, March 12, 2005, 22:53 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Carskick

I am considering using my birthday money this year to get my parents a new digital camera. We are currently using a Fujifilm 2650 that is 1-2 years old now. It was originally purchased for taking pictures on Ebay, but it turned out to be as good as our Olympus film camera, but more convinient. The main problems with the camera are the wait between pictures, which can be about 6 seconds charging the flash, it can't take a sharp indoor picture unless on a tripod or table, air particles reflect via the flash, and the resolution is lacking. Now that technology is better and cheaper, I think it is time for an upgrade.

Here is what we need in a camera for less than $300.

At least 4MP
Descent lens
At least 3x optical zoom
Easy to use (For Mom)
Lots of features and adjustments (For me)
Little pause between pictures
The ability to take indoor pictures without flash
Prefibly a large screen
Long battery life
Good AV ability would be nice
etc.

The best I have found is the Fujifilm E550. It can take up to 3 pictures per second. It can go up to 6.3MP, and inter-something up to 12.3MP. It can also take uninterupted video up to 640x480@30FPS with sound to fill up the card. It has a 2" LCD screen, and comes with rechargable batteries. It seems simple, yet has a lot of options. The lens looks larger than other low-mid end fujis, and the case is mostly metal. What do you all think of this camera, and do you have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Edit: Here is the best deal I found on the Fuji
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

wonderings

make sure you look into what kind of lenses are in the cameras. I was looking at a Samsung digital camera, nice price, high mp, but I found out the lenses were plastic, which would really effect the quality. I just purchased a Kodak DX7630 6.1 mp camera and I absolutly love it.
Kodak Camera
(edit: you will have to copy that link into your browser, I dont know why it doesnt work here)

It is just a bit abover your price range, but might be worth a look. It has a large 2.2 inch lcd screen, and a good lense in there as well. Very user friendly, and uses USB 2 for transfer. And has a lithium batter for long life. I love this camera!

Edited by Carskick: Fixed URL
15 inch PowerBook 1.5 ghz G4 2 gig ram DVD-RW 80 gig HD  
Dual 1.8ghz G5,  8X DVD-RW, 2 gig ddr ram, 160 x 2 gig HD
Dual 2ghz G5 DVD-RW, 2gig ddr ram, 250 x 2 gig HD
Lacie F.A. Porshce 160 external FW HD
1 BenQ 15 inch LCD VGA
1, 17 inch Samsung 172x LCD displays DVI
1, 30 inch Apple HD Cinema

slaxorz

wonderings

thanks slaxorz, how did you do that?
15 inch PowerBook 1.5 ghz G4 2 gig ram DVD-RW 80 gig HD  
Dual 1.8ghz G5,  8X DVD-RW, 2 gig ddr ram, 160 x 2 gig HD
Dual 2ghz G5 DVD-RW, 2gig ddr ram, 250 x 2 gig HD
Lacie F.A. Porshce 160 external FW HD
1 BenQ 15 inch LCD VGA
1, 17 inch Samsung 172x LCD displays DVI
1, 30 inch Apple HD Cinema

pat

Wonderings, you can see a list of supported Bulletin Board Code by using the help button up at the top of the page up  there. You can also click the buttons at the top of the poasting form when you are filling out a poast to have them automatically inserted, then just put your content in between the tags.

To have your url show without an error, do this.
[url]http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=2/3/9/19/131/1840&pq-locale=en_US[/url]

Or, you can do this.
[url= http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=2/3/9/19/131/1840&pq-locale=en_US] Kodak [/url]
To display this
Kodak

Help topic;
http://www.poasters.com/forum/YaBBHelp/posting.html
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Carskick

Anyways, thanks for the info Wonderings. My curent digital is a cheaper Fuji, which has a glass lense, and the 550 is a higher end lense, supposedly better than that of the 500 and 510. It is a Fujinon lense, great brand, so I am not concerned their. I will take a look at the Kodak you reccommended as well. I also found the Canon A95 in my search which is in the same ball park. I found http://www.dpreview.com/ which provides a lot of camera info, including full reviews of some that are very thorough, including time it takes to do something. That is the only disadvantage of the Fuji.  It is fast at everything except charging the flash. So let me know what you all are thinking. Thanks!

Edit:
I just looked at the Kodak, and I like a lot of what I see. My only nit-picks on it is the propiatory battery and the flash is positioned a little lower than the Fuji's popup, meading it's more likely to have red eye, but I like a lot of the adjustment features I see on it. It will be a definite consideration, thanks!
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

pat

We bought one of these Cannon Powershot A85 for one of my daughers this last Christmas.
Although I didn?t get to play around with it as much as I would have liked, by all accounts she is very pleased with it.
We paid 279$ last Christmas for it and it has dropped in price since then, the A95 is also another option and does not cost a whole lot more.
Product link from Newegg for the A95.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Carskick

Wow, that Kodak looks nice, but it's a little pricey for me. I couldn't find it for less than $400. The Canon A95 is definently a viable solution. I like that it uses AA batteries. I believe it comes with recharageables as well, which is great! I just wish it had a popup flash to get it a little higher. Red eye is a big problem in my family, and the canon's flash isn't any higher than my current, and the first mentioned Kodak has the same problem. Also, the canon can't do Unlimited time high framerate high res videos like the fuji can. While won't be my main video camera, I think it is a feature I'd like to have.  I think right now it's between the Canon Powershot A95 and the Fuji E550. The JEPG Fine compression is very similar to the Fuji, whose compression can't be changed a low resolutions, but has a RAW feature at 12MP. I just wish that was at 5 or 6MP. Still, I tihnk I'm leaning towards the Fuji. I also like the Fuji menu system a little more. I plan on taking a trip to Circuit City soon and comparing these cameras first hand, then buying them online. I know I already sound sold on the Fuji, I just like almost everything about it except the flash charging time and the compression adjustments.

pat

Good luck with whatever you decide, be sure to let us know how you get on.

Perhaps, even a picture or two, too. ;)

Carskick

Of course.  ;)

My birthdays not till mid may, so it won't be until then, but I'll definently make up a review. Thanks!

Carskick

Well, I went to Circuit City with my grandmother, who is a huge camera person, and we both loved the Fuji. It seems very well built and very high quality. The screen is gigantic and very easy to read, and the menus fade, which is really cool. I"m definently getting it. I can't wait till may. Except for the fact I have AP and IB tests.  >:(

Carskick

Well, it's about one month until I buy the new camera, and I am beginning to think about getting the Canon A95 instead. Why? Well, I love everything about the Fuji except it's low light performance, where a flash is required, otherwise the picture is blury. According to internet tests I have seen, the Canon has a lot less low light focusing problems. Furthermore, it has 3 compression settings on each resolution, a major downfall of the fuji, hampering it's 3-6MP performance. I like the Fuji's coloring better and it's menu system, but I can't ignore the canon's low light performance, something very important to myself and my mother. I also really like the performance of the Fuji's video capabilities, while the Canon's aren't nearly as good. Basiclly, I want the Fuji with compression settings and better low light capability. at least there is a cure for low light problems, using the flash, but I hate relying on it so. Arg. The reviews only confuse me more, because most people like both cameras. It is deffinently between these two cameras, the question is which one?

Carskick

Well, my research continues. I am back on the Fuji boat. Well, I sent my grandmother some sample pictures, (She is a big photo buff, and has been for many years) and she likes the Fuji's pictures much better, although they are more compressed. She says the coloring and exposure is better. I have to agree, and dispite the higher compression, I like the Fuji pictures better, which is good, as they take up less space.  ;D

Also, I went to Circuit City, and they didn't have an A95 in stock, but they had the very similar A85, and I honestly hated the controls. The menu system was filled with unfamiliar symbols, and seemed clunky in my opinion compared to the Fuji. I spent some time with it, and I couldn't bring myself to favor it, but I could see how some people might prefer it. Anyways, Everything is going for the Fuji except low light. I guess one flaw is okay. My grandmother told me I'd probably be happy with whichever one.  ;) Aren't they great?

While researching, I stumbled upon a group of people complaining about a zoom error they receive on the Fuji. Apperently, some are defective and the lense gets stuck extended, and must be sent out for repair. Fuji covers it, but still...

So I typed "Canon A95 error" into google for fun, and guess what? Another group of people are complaining about some Canon's having a similar error where the lense stops working properly. So I am just going to asume it is possible for all digitals to be bugged, and make sure who I buys from is backed by the manufacturer. I was thinking about butterflyphoto.com.

Anyways, I plan on getting the Fuji for now, and using it at the 6M setting, where pictures tend to run 1.4-1.6MB, pretty compressed, but they look really nice. Dark shots I'll just have to experiment with the ISO and flash settings to see what I can do. For the most part, we don't take pictures in the dark of distant objects, only people, so hopefully that won't be too much of an issure. I do believe low light performance is better than my 2650 anyways, and that is what is important. Let me know if you find any info on either camera that could help out. I'll be making the purchase in less than a month. Thanks!

Carskick

Anybody know where I should buy the Fuji E550? NewEgg and ZipZoomFly cost about $300 including shipping, but some online stores, such as butterflyphoto.com or buydig.com only cost $250 and have received good reviews on resellerrattings.com. Do you think that I should buy localy for $320, ZipZoom for $295, or Butterfly for $260? Thanks.

query

Be careful with the very low priced dealers -- many of them sell "gray market" cameras built for sale in other countries, and therefore without USA warranties.  Most of the US arms of the Japanese and European camera companies will not touch a gray market camera - your warranty is through the store.

Others will strip out parts like the OEM accessories (battery, etc.) and substitute cheap parts for them, selling the OEM units separately.

Caveat emptor.

Mark H

B&H Photo Video is the best place to get photo equipment and they state that it is grey market if that is the case.

Go to this link to see the camera. Add it to your cart and you will see a price of $284.00, which is pretty good. They have great service as well. I have spent $10,000 at B&H Photo Video without any regrets and will order again.
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

query

I will second that - they're great to do business with.  Also in NYC and reputable is J&R, which is better known for music but sells electronics, cameras, etc.

If you find yourself in NYC, you could easily spend two days between the two stores just exploring.

Carskick

Thanks for the info. I actually just finished ordering the camera from BuyDig.com. I called Fuji, and they said if the camera is retail and you have proof of purchase, then they warrant it, despite where you buy it. I chose BuyDigs, as they had good, but not outrageous prices, fair shipping, and great reviews on resellerratings.com. I hope it works out, and I'll of course review the camera once I mess with it.

I bought the Fuji E550, everything included, and a 512MB XD chip, and the final price was $330 after shipping. Thanks for putting up with my rambles about the camera situation.  ;)

Carskick

If I went to NYC, I would love exploring one of those stores. My friend was telling me when he went to Vegas, they had a Fry's electronics which was fantastic.

Ace

Hey Cars,
Let us know how Buydig. went.  I found they have a lower than usual price on a Canon Si IS that I'm looking to get, so would like to know how they perform.  Sears had the lowest retail price on it (huh?) but the online is still around $50 less than that.  Thanks.  

Ace; SI IS. IS SI. WASNOTWAS.
Ring bells for service.

Carskick

Well, I just receive E-mail confirmation that it is shipped. They only took one full day to process, and they said it could take up to two, so I am happy that way. Furthermore, they said shipping would take 7-10 days, and the FedEx tracking said it will be here by the 15th, 5 days, and only 3 business days!!! If it works out like this, I will be very pleased. The $13 for shipping was less than most, but not a great price for the stated 7-10 days, but if it is actually less, then I cannot complain. As long as it arrives in the factory fresh state they describe, and it all works as it should, I will be one happy camper, and give the go ahead to Ace. If you can wait until the 15th, Ace, I'll let you know about the experience. I like the fact they have a 1-800 number to call in case of problems. I actually called to confirm that having the names different on the shipping and billing address wouldn't add 3 days as the e-mail they said would. I was connected to a person in about 5-10minutes, and he correctly told me it wouldn't add the 3 days.

Carskick

Okay, Ace. Here is the scoop. BuyDig.com got my camera to me today, earlier than both they planned, and eariler than FedEx did as well. Both the camera and the chip I ordered both arrived in one box, well packaged and secured. The camera was factory fresh as they said. It was sealed in the retail box with all parts included properly in place. The XD chip was well positioned inside as well. All in all, I give them an A+. Great prices, service, and a real 1-800 numer. What more could I ask for?

I will review the camera later. I am still messing with it, but so far I love it. The indoor performance is much better than my old Fuji, although maybe not as good as the canon. The flash does take a while to charge even with NIMH, but it's only about 3-5seconds, as opposed to the old Fuji which took at least 10. However, I don't need the flash nearly as much. I'll give you all the details and some samples in a few days.

Ace

Thanks, Cars.  I think they're still the low price on the Canon I'm figuring to get, so that is reassuring.  The dang thing is almost a discontinued model, but isn't plummeting in price as I hoped.  Of course, there's the risk it disappears entirely off the market and I'd have to go a hundred or two more for an improved model...

I'll be watching for Fuji updates; I always use their film but never anything digital from them.

Ace
Ring bells for service.