• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

My First Official Build(w/ pictures)

Started by Internet Addict, February 14, 2005, 13:43 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Internet Addict

Pent 3 600 CPU
Asus P38-F Motherboard
6 gig hard drive
80 gig hard drive
19" dell monitor
256 pc100 ram
420w power supply
52x cd-writer
case - old ATX
10/100 lan card
GForce Mx 4000
old soundcard(dont know what its called)
Operating System - Windows Xp SP2

I AM AN ADDICT

Whizbang

See if you can squeeze another stick of RAM into your budget and the computer and the system will hum a bit better.   ;)  Unfortunately, PC100 is not getting cheaper, and I just recently sold mine back to OEMPCworld.  :P

Internet Addict

thanks for the comment, im going down to the local computer store to buy a few fans to keep it even cooler, and to buy some ram(see if i can get another stick of 128 pc100)
I AM AN ADDICT

scuzzy

What operating system will you use? If you're planning on using Win98, don't bother with the extra RAM.

If you plan on using Win2000, you may benefit from more RAM. If you're going to use the system for basic tasks, 256MB should be fine. Lots of multi-tasking and graphics programs can benefit from the additional RAM, but you need to weigh the cost-to-benefit ratio.

If you're going with WinXP, you must consider that the system you're putting together is at the lower end of the power curve. You'll need at least 512MB for satisfactory performance. Even so, WinXP may run sluggish.

I have an old Dell that I upgraded to P3-800MHz. I'm running it with Win2000, an ATI Rage Pro, and 384MB of RAM. It runs OK with that combo, but it's no speed demon. I can't imagine how slow it would be with WinXp.

Also, see how cool/hot it runs before buying any extra fans. You may not need them, as well as the extra noise that will be generated.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Internet Addict

im planning to take out the hard drive of my 166mhz machine(its the one im using to type this message with), cause with the new machine i wont need this one,

ill post pics whenever the cpu/mobo come in.
I AM AN ADDICT

Whizbang

Quote from: Internet Addict on February 15, 2005, 11:36 hrs
thanks for the comment, im going down to the local computer store to buy a few fans to keep it even cooler, and to buy some ram(see if i can get another stick of 128 pc100)
Careful consideration to air flow will be far more beneficial than loading the case down with a lot of fans.  

Internet Addict

added an 80 gig hard drive.
I AM AN ADDICT

Internet Addict

I AM AN ADDICT

Internet Addict

added pictures of the case, inside the case, the front of the case, and the 19" dell monitor.
I AM AN ADDICT

Whizbang

If you ever want to get more air flow around the IDE cable, you can fold it length-wise, and then back again, making a "w" shape if viewed from the end.  Then take about three pull ties in flaming pink or whatever Wal-Mart has in the electrical department that looks cool, and pull the "w" together from end to end.  It serves another practical purpose in making the cable more universally flexible.  I always leave the short piece between the primary and secondary drives alone, since that section is really too short to make compacting it of any value.

Internet Addict

thanks for the reply, i think im gonnah work on it some more this week, its not a bad little machine, it works for what i use it for, Internet, Office and the Occasional Game.
I AM AN ADDICT

Internet Addict

added a 16x dvd burner.
got rid of the 52x cd burner, due to the fact that the dvd burner has a cd burner in it.
I AM AN ADDICT