• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Monitor problem.

Started by Traveller, April 30, 2009, 17:38 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Traveller

Hi All.

My monitor has suddenly developed a slight flicker. I have pressed the buttons on the monitor and notice that the refresh rate is 60Hz. I am not 100% sure, but think it was at least 75Hz before. Also, in Device Manager, the name of the monitor has now been replaced by "Default Monitor". I think the name/model of the monitor used to be displayed.

I have searched on the Internet on how to change the refresh rate and have manged to do so (no flicker now) but it feels like the screen has gotten slightly smaller.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get Windows to recognise the name/model of the monitor correctly in Device Manager as it did before, as I think that would solve the problem.

Thanks.

scuzzy

The monitor make/model info would be helpful. Is it a CRT or an LCD? Also, which version of Windows are you using? And the video card info might help in providing an answer for you.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Traveller

Hi Suzzy. Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I thought I had included the OS, however, I had deleted a lot of the original poast and replaced it with updated info, so guess I must have removed that piece of info as well.

Anyway, it's still W98SE, haha. I can't remember the exact model, but I think it's a Dell E770p or something like that. It's a CRT. The card is a Creative Nvidia Geforce Ti200.

I have managed to go to the Monitor tab and chosen Dell M770 which sounds close to what I have or 1024x768 @ 75Hz, however, there are two problems.

1) The screen becomes smaller and I am having to repeat the same process to allow the screen to get to normal size again. I don't know why that happens!

2) Everytime I re-start the computer, it goes back to flickering again and I have to repeat the entire process.

I have also tried disconnecting the monitor from the back of the pc and reconnecting but it still detects the monitor as deafult monitor, etc, and not the name/model as it used to.

Thanks.

Bill

Traveller,

Have you tried lowering the resolution to something like 800x600 to see if the monitor is better?
I'm guessing that 1024x768 is just too high for your equipment.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Traveller

Hi Bill.

No I haven't, because the resolution has always been 1024x768. I have had the monitor and graphics card for a number of years. This is a new problem that has only now occurred. When I press the buttons on the monitor itself after changing the resolution, the monitor states that it runs best at 1024x768. I have had no other change of hardware either.

Thanks Bill.

Traveller

Hi Ja.

Setting monitor defaults?

I have already tried uninstalling and re-installing the drivers. I think I have found some drivers on the web, but I don't know if they are new ones or the same. I could give them a try anyway as you suggested.

This is what I am having to do every time I start or restart the pc:-

Upon start/restart, the pc loads with a refresh rate of 60Hz (the monitor states that it is running at this rate).
I have to go into the video card properties (where the refresh rate indicates 'optimal') and choose 75Hz from the drop down list. I get a warning that I have specified a custom refresh rate. I click to accept and the screen goes black as it changes the settings. I click OK to accept. The screen is now a smaller size than it should be, so I choose 'optimal' from the drop down (which was the default setting in the first place), however, this time, when I click to accept, etc, and after the screen goes black again to change the settings, the display appears as it should. So basically, I am having to change from 'optimal' to 75Hz and then back to 'optimal' to get the display to appear correctly. I don't understand why this happens.

Thanks JA.

Traveller

Thanks JA. Have tried restoring the default setting on the monitor itself, but that hasn't worked, unfortunately. Will just have to put up with changing the settings every time I start up. Could be worse! Thanks for the help, JA, appreciate it.