• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

FROM THE WATCHTOWER

Started by Ace, April 25, 2005, 07:38 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

This World News Report comes to you from The Jester's Watchtower high above

ok, ok.  My upstairs den window then.  

The Street Where I live.  Well, the house on the street where I live.  Well, not right on the street... we've got a yard in front.. plus the sidewalk.  I'd sure hate to be right on, or in, the street.  

Anywho:

*Cars Gets New Camera and Poasts First Pics.  It's a fine looking Fuji, and I'm really impressed by the crisp and sharp photos it took of itself; the thing looks like it produces exceptional
hold it.  Hold on a minute...

* STUPID NEIGHBOR TRICKS:  Manny next door had a large tree removed in front by his driveway, which was ok by us since it was pretty much overtaking our pine and flower bed (under the pine) in front.  He then had a crew remove the oversized stump.  Then had  a crew come back to rake out and fill the hole.  I walked on it; it was a bit soft but seemed ok.  Friday I saw Manny had parked the Honda beside his driveway, over that spot.  I saw the front end of the car dipped down into the ground, with the bumper even with the yard.  I wondered "what'd he do, lose a tire..?  Or wheel, even?"  I walked around; wheel and tire were intact.  And buried in the soft underbelly of that spot, in mud...  I laughed all night.  He pulled it out with his SUV sometime later that evening.

* Michiana Isn't All Bad:  even though we had a depressing snow day Saturday, during Charlie's first ND Blue-Gold Game.  Which I would've gone to, but no way am I gonna sit in 40 degrees and wind and blowing crud.  It did dump on the yard and car; but melted yesterday and now it's just brisk but sunny.  Better than Michigan, or Cleveland.  

* I was going to fertilize, but we're supposed to get rain tonight and tomorrow.  The bag said to not use it if rain is arriving within 24 hours.  So I'm doing this instead.  Probably just another form of fertilizer distribution, if you think about it.

*We have a baby bunny in the yard; we spotted him reaching for the forsythia blossoms Saturday, on his little bunny tippy toes.  If I get that Canon with the 10x lense maybe I can get a good photo of him.  Lens.  how the heck do you spell that.  I know how I do, but it doesn't look right.

*It only has 3.2 megapixels, like my A70, but that's better than 6 pixels.  

* When I get it, maybe I can take a photo of my new camera with my old camera, and then photograph that photo with my new one so it will show how good a photo the new one takes.

* Stupid Earthlink just "bing bong"ed my offline.  It doesn't do that very often, but sometimes when it's taking me way too long to keyboard something.

* The Doctor Joke poast seems messed up (more than the jokes).  There's no "reply" button to the last one, and I somehow attached a non message poast trying to see what would happen if I responded to page 8 since 9 was blocked up.  I suppose that's just as well, since it was going to wind up with some floor joke and a bunch of monkeys.  And maybe Tina Turner dancing on the bar.  Or Jack LaLanne punching Biff somewhere.

*Way too long...

* A week ago, when I was off work, it was getting to be 80.  That seems like a long time ago.

Ace; a whole different season.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Manny and Murphy related?  They certainly do equally intelligent thing.

The "Doctor Poast" is working just fine.  Pretty lame excuse for not fleshing out the Tina/Biff/Bar/Floor details.  

Your  contribution to the "greening up" of the Room is appreciated.

Bill;  like adding mulch to the compost pile.
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Mark H

Quote from: Ace on April 25, 2005, 07:38 hrs
.....If I get that Canon with the 10x lense maybe I can get a good photo of him.  Lens.  how the heck do you spell that.  I know how I do, but it doesn't look right.....

It is spelled "Lens" and not "Lense." If plural, it is "Lenses."

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Ace

Well.  Maybe.

"Liquid Lense" is spelled like it is.
http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/liquid_lense.html?gid=

And there's some LeNSE network something, spelled like that.  So.  And maybe it could be lenss, for more than one.  Like "Pigss."  

Maybe.  

Ace; is the exception to the rule.
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/lense.html
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Guess it could also be "lenz" depending on where you're from.

Bill; or focal device.
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

I just went to the Doctor poast, and the same dang thing happened.  The last one I see is page 9 of Bill's "you could use the boxes" or whatever line.  And there are no buttons at the end of his poast.  And Buff's joke about Hasselhoff and that whole series is not there.  I saw them earlier today, but now it's a dead end.

I did not break it, either.  I wasn't there long enough to do damage, and it's sure beyond my powers as Janitor to clean it up...

As opposed to this finely functioning yet lame series of exposes.

Ace; it lends itself to that.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

This is all you are missing:

http://tinyurl.com/9a526

Not much but very strange it's not working.  

Why don't you try clearing your IE cache?  Maybe do a browser repair?  Can you log on to poasters as a guest and see what happens?

Bill;  techno geek

Ace

That tiny url shows up to the text of your last poast, explaining to Buff what you're referring to, and then there's no buttons on that one either.  And going direct this morning is business as usual; the box poast, and that's it, with no reply button.  I've got no temp stash, I've got no history...  I'm clean, dangit.

I'm afraid to sign on as a Guest; I could lose my true identity as an enigma wrapped in a mystery loaded into a sub bun.

All the dang moderators and administrators and techies wandering the halls here, you'd think someone could put a fix on.  but Nooooo.... the Jester should figure it out, after sweeping things under the rugs and checking the LOOKOUT!!!! alarms.  Typical.

I'm not going to repair my browser since it's not broken and it's IE which is the best browser made my the best company in the business, Microsoft.  Their stuff is so good they epitomize the "value added!" credo by constantly offering new pieces you can glue on to make it even more valuable.

The bar is closed, for the time being.  Maybe Buff killed the thing with that Hasselhoff joke.  Or Johnny, by abandoning it.  

Ace; I didn't do it, for a change.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

There were no buttons on the bottom of the tinyurl image because I cropped them off.  There are no headers showing, for the same reason.  They were there...and are there this morning.
This is very odd....You seem to be the only one with this difficulty, at least that has mentioned it.  Hence my suggestion about things you might try.

This morning:   http://tinyurl.com/9co5e

Bill

Bill

Ace-
I poasted a "test" for you in the doc joke thread to see if your problem is still existant.

B-

Ace

I got to no test... The last thing is a blank poast by you after the one where I joked we'd be down to one-word poasts... no text in yours, no buttons.  If there was a test, I think I failed it.

Speaking of other surprises; I was about ready to order a Canon S1 IS digital from Buydig, as the camera would be a nice upgrade and the place got good reviews, particularly from Cars.  Today I find Canon is coming out with a new and improved S2 IS in June.  Right now it looks to be a couple hundred more, but also seriously goosed the pixel count plus tweaked the zoom a couple more steps.  Dangit, I hate it when people try to improve stuff...  I sure avoid it, just for that reason.

Ace; doesn't surprise me I'm the only ones with difficulties, either.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Well goodie. You get to wait two months, spend an extra couple of hundred for a camera to poast here???

Sorry about the test.  Maybe the Doctor god is sending you a message?  

Bill; I don't like'em and I don't care who knows.

Ace

"Doctor god"..?  Isn't that like "Master Of The Idiots"..?  I don't like them, either.

Hold it.. isn't that my job title..?   No; hold it.  I'm something or other head of fools.  I guess that's a notable distinction.

I saw a report today about "Americans don't follow Doctor's advice."  Duh.  If your doctor is prescribing death defying pain killers and basically sticks to "let's test your blood.  Gotta be something wrong, there" is there any real reason to follow suit?

On the camera front, no.  I actually take and print some nice ones.  Not these...  Unless I catch one of Murphy in the shower; I'll poast that.  I still never heard if Chandler's snow ever melted...  Although around here it's not a sure thing.

Ace; I'd like to do a self portrait at 10x.  Then this wouldn't be a "family forum" ever again.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Back for a moment to your technology problem.    Tonight, now about 11:30 EDT, the forum is so slow maybe there is a server problem and not your machine at all.
If it responded any slower we'd be moving backwards.  

I was not trying to dump "cold water" on your enthusi  aggita  excitement over your Cannon Canon Kaynon camera news.   I have been/was an avid phototog for a long time with my share of Nikons and lenzzs.  It's embarrassing to have to keep saying "Gee, I don;t remember that"  when a picture recalls reality.

Bill, I think.

Buffalo2102

QuoteMaybe Buff killed the thing with that Hasselhoff joke.

Yeah, that's right.  Blame it all on me.
Things only die when you don't feed them.  I was feeding the poast, keeping it alive.  You're gonna kill it through lack of buttons.

Buff; hold onto your trousers.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Ace

I think we've stooped to a new high, discussing another poast in another poast.

Today the Doctor one just had the "blank" poast I somehow lodged there after Bill's box comment.  But it shows Buff as the last contributor.  It's like changing the house number signs on your block and wondering where you live, now.

I tell you who doesn't need to hold onto his trousers, and that's my brother.  He's taken to wearing suspenders and a belt on weekends.  That's a little too much security, for me.

I never had a Nikon.  I had an old Argus 35mm my dad gave me to start, and have a Minolta 35mm SLR and another Minolta for snapshots that died in DC when my wife took it there.  I like the control of doing my own prints at home, and especially not the waste of getting a roll of film printed just to find out a third of the shots were worthwhile and I would've just as soon had multiples made of those...  The Canon's working fine, and I've got a Canon printer, so I'll likely stick with Canon.  

From The Watchtower today I just shot a photo of a cardinal outside the window in the birch tree.  The problem with this camera and a 3X lens (thanks, M) was that it appears as a tiny bird in the shot...  I mean, they're not big birds.  But boy is it small, in that shot.

And, no, not one of those cardinals.  You can see one of them from quite a distance, depending on what they're wearing.

Ace; still, that Hasselhoff one could be a killer joke.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Cardinals out on a limb I could understand, but up a tree?  

Do you have any sense how a, say 10x lens, compares to a standard 135mm telephoto?   The digital camera world is all linux to me.  When I read Cars' review I thought "digital cameras put some truth to the statement 'boy that camera takes good pictures.'"

IMO if you get one "good" picture per roll, you're doing well.  Kinda depends on the "why"  you take pictures.  If you want simply to memorialize your vacation to Plymouth Rock and the great State of Rhode Island, most of the roll is "good".  Except the one or two of your left foot or the one with your thumb over the lens.

Truth be told, junior asked for pictures of Fido, hence the couple I poasted here. I took 2 rolls of film.  I sent him 3 prints.  The rest were mundane.

Just out of curiosity, does your Canon link directly to the printer or is it via the computer?

Bill

Buffalo2102

QuoteI tell you who doesn't need to hold onto his trousers, and that's my brother.  He's taken to wearing suspenders and a belt on weekends.

He he.  Another one of those trans-atlantic translations.  Suspenders in the UK are to hold women's stockings up.  Men wear braces to hold up their trousers.

Sounds like your brother has taken to cross-dressing on weekends!  High-heels too?

Buff; I laughed, anyway.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Bill

I think a belt, or 2 or 3, is good on the week end.  

I didn't know Buff was a tennis fan though:

Bill

Buffalo2102

That link doesn't work for me - it keeps asking me to register or sign in.

I am a tennis fan though.

Buff; since Maria arrived on the scene anyway.

Bill

Dang thing didn't work for me, either.

this one should:

http://tinyurl.com/776az

Buffalo2102

Ah....yes.  That was me and the boys waiting for a game of 9-a-side but nobody wanted to play.  The lack of an opposable thumb would have created a problem, even if we had remembered the rackets....

Bill

Judging from your avatar, the racket is there, it needs to be re-strung.
Probably has one heck of a forearm  er forehead.

Bill;  Maria who?

Ace

Sharapova.  Racquets.  Geez Louise, do I have to be the expert on everything?

Hey; funny thing.  From home, I still get the truncated Doctor poast hacked off back when.  From work, I can see it in its entirety.  What's up with that?

I'm down to 4 Racquets, and then also the woodies I've got hanging downstairs.  Including the fully functional McEnroe Dunlop Maxply.  Geez, is that a club.  My elbow thanked me when graphite finally became the norm...

I break strings not infrequently, even though that's how I play.  Vicious topspin.  It will bite better than Fido.

Ace; he knows any subject.  And some predicates.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

No, just the English Sergeant, with an attitude.

Geez, guess my suggestion about approaches to remedying -that doesn't look right - fixing the problem maybe have some merit, huh?  Just goes to show I'm more than just a pretty face.  

http://tinyurl.com/7zpux

Bill; the bells....

Ace

Geez, this from the guy with the dog with an altitude.

It's the only poast that's acting up, for me.  You guys noted earlier "everything" was slow, but I haven't sensed any other reactions of "Hey, I can't see half of that thing, either."  So don't know what to "fix" at this point and would be apprehensive of risking something major for a crack at that joke...

Good to see your back...  Wear a bigger shirt, huh.

Ace; your face rings a bell.  I could try a quasi-fix.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

I'm still inclined to think this is a browser related problem, on your machine.
Last night, during the forum slow down, I tried IE and had no difficulty with any of the poasts or rooms.   Have you tried clearing the temp file and  IE cache?  How about an IE repair?

Bill; so do Funeral Directors.

Ace

Yo; yes, I cleaned out the temp cache.  See my previous poast "I'm Clean, Dangit."

What's to repair?  I recall a prior incident when Earthlinglink was botching up, and was instructed to "repair" but upon following the instructions there was no such critter option available.  I don't want to break anything if it's not fixed, you know?

Ace; if it ain't fixed, don't break it.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Under Win 98, with which I am more familiar, repairing IE was a fairly simple procedure.  Apparently under XP it's not.  Google produced a procedure using the XP CD and System File Checker.
Someone more advanced with XP is required here.

Another example of  "new and improved"  technology.

Bill; simple is always better, at least for me.

Ace

I bet I could out-simple anyone.  I guess since the middle poast is spazzed out for me I'll just bounce around between this one and the floor show.

I guess if I'm hit with an overwhelming urge to craft an overly long bar joke replete with a doctor and a roomfull of monkeys I can always create a new entry.  

Ace; there are a number of innocent victims who hope I don't get that urge.  Especially me.
Ring bells for service.