• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re: Antec Performance Plus 880 Case

Started by John, June 10, 2002, 14:38 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Scuzzy, the last system I built was with this one Chieftech. Although the customer said she is sorry she got it with the door. When I showed her she could lock it so the kids couldn't use it she smiled and said now I like it.

John
Cogito Ergo Sum

scuzzy

John,

That looks a lot like the Antec 1030, minus the power supply, which I did consider. However, I was turned off by the door on the drives and power switch. In my case (no pun intended), it would have been too much of an irritation. The Antec 880 was as close as I could find to that model without the darn door. The front USB/Firewire connector was an added plus, and the 430 watt power supply looks as solid as they come.

http://www.poasters.com/images/scuzzy.gif" border=0>

Alex Garcia
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

John

Scuzzy, it is the Antec 1030.

http://www.poasters.com/images/pcguy.gif" border=0>

John
Cogito Ergo Sum

query

Chieftec makes most of Antec's cases.  They have quite a range of their own as well - not as widely available as Antec's, but available online in many places.

www.chieftec.com

pat

I have one of the Antec Performance 800 series cases. I like it very much.

Very roomy inside and easy to work in.

My only complaint was the loudness of the rear fans. I put in quieter ones. Perhaps they solved that with the temperature controlled fans.

I like the addition of the front mounted, washable, dust filter and the front mounted USB and firewire ports.

I wish that case had been available back when I was building my system.

Oh well, there is always next time.

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

scuzzy

Thanks for setting me straight, query. Here all along I thought Antec was the actual manufacturer.

Regardless of the name plate, I did get my hands on a case for inspection about a week ago. I must admit that I was very impressed with the quality of the case. Much better than anything else I've seen.

Alex Garcia
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

Figured I'd crawl down here, see if I could hide under the table...

Say; that Antec is a peach and I wish Monarch offered it instead of just the towers of that ilk.  I'm thinking if I go with them I'll do the "Monarch" (Fong Fooey..) version.  

Q; any risk in having more power than is "needed"?  I'd figure 300 watts is sufficient, but thought of having a 350 in it.  

The way cases are named, and passed around as OEM as well, I'm starting to think nobody actually makes the ones they advertise.  Probably all cranked out of a converted auto plant in Youngstown.

Ace; he used to be a Case Manager.

Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

Get as much power supply as you think you'll need. There's no problem with getting something too big, except that the 10,000 watt models tend to glow and hum throughout the night.

You may want to consider the Antec Plus660 from MWave.com for $99 plus S/H (Find it here). It includes an Antec True Power 330 watt power supply.

Basically, the case is like the one I bought, only it's about 3.5" shorter.

Alex Garcia

Neon

Silly man, (Zeus echo voice)You can never have too much POWER! HAHaHA!*(/Zeus echo voice) Go for the max!

300 is probably adequate if you don't have too many drives and peripherals hooked up. John will probably be along to explain that the 400W and up PSU are generally of higher quality construction. Most folks seem to like Antec and Enermax.

*Disclaimer: Any corruption to your moral rectitude, radioactive glowing effects, or Godlike behavior resulting from power level attained shall not be the responsibility of ScumSoft, Inc., it's affiliates or agents. User assumes all risks. We warned you.

http://neon.home.texas.net/neonsm.gif" border=0>

Edited by - Neon on Jun 17 2002  9:24:11 PM
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

pat

http://files.triton.net/pattrucks/poasters/caution.gif" border=0>

Ace gets new power supply attempts to build computer.

http://files.triton.net/pattrucks/poasters/bill3.jpg" border=0>

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Ace

Heck, my hair hasn't been that long for a long time.  It was, for a time, about that attractive.

I was going to take offense at being called "silly" by Neon, but what the hey, I'm a Jester. I mean, I suppose it's a bonafide occupational qualification (BFOQ) to be silly.  At least act silly. Yep, crawl around and act silly, that's pretty much how I live day-to-day.

Hey, here's a silly question, then. How can you tell how much power a unit will need..?  By checking the power requirements of every single component (do they even state that?) and then add em up?

Sounds like 300 is ok, 350 wouldn't hurt, I'm not going to start the Taurus with it so probably need not worry about more.  Scuzz's right on the Antec case; I'd figured I would do that one, if it was from a place that offered it (and will, if I build).

Ace; crawling, giggling, hair always stands on end. about that far.

Ring bells for service.

Neon

Ace, if you can stop giggling and bobbling for a minute, you might try this PC Power Supply Selector from PC Power and Cooling. It should give you an idea of how beefy a supply you will need.

There used to be a site that did what you suggested, determine the power requirements of each component, and add them up. I can't seem to find it now. Fortunately, similar types of components have similar power requirements, so the site linked above should still be useful.

http://neon.home.texas.net/neonsm.gif" border=0>
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

John

Ace, I know that somewhere in poasts past we were asked this question. How much power do I need to power my new computer. I know that we answered it with a specific website mentioned. I did not find that poast but here is a link that may help answer some questions. How stuff works.

http://www.poasters.com/images/pcguy.gif" border=0>

John
Cogito Ergo Sum

Ace

Thanks Ne' and J; those look like they'll help. Weird thing on the Power Supply page is the tally doesn't highlight watts (even though that's about all the power supply options provide).  I like to know How Stuff Works. Probably could use a link to How To Fix The Stuff That Used To Work Until I Got A Hold Of It and The Answer To Why We Are Here.

Ace; maybe I could link up a couple power supplies through RAID. Or just a splitter cable.  Instead of all these fan contraptions, just plug in enough juice that it'll work like a hot plate too.

Ring bells for service.