• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by query, November 16, 2000, 17:11 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

query

Does the ISP permit the passage of clear-text (non-encrypted) passwords - and if you're running an NT or 2000 system, are you set up to send them?

It is possible that one end or the other is dealing with an encrypted password - and the other is expecting clear text.  FTP usually goes through clear-text - which some sys admins won't allow.  

Other issue - encrypted passwords often cause problems between a Windows system and a UNIX system.

n/a

Thanks, Query, that's something I didn't know. I'll see what the ISP's tech has to say.

n/a

Just for your amusement,Query--I found out the problem. My client thought the password was all lower case. Turns out it was all UPPER case. Sheesh.

Bear

-Learning as fast I can-

n/a

Maybe one of our astute lurkers has a suggestion on this one.

I have a web design client using a business account with a small local ISP (local to them, not me). I was hired to update their website, but when I tried to login to their FTP site using their account and password, my login was refused.

I contacted their tech support and they couldn't find a problem, though from our email exchange I'm not sure they even understood the problem. They kept telling me I needed the client's password and I kept telling them I was using it.

Finally, after direct intervention from the client, they granted me a temporary password for a two-day period! That password did work for the whole mostly-sleepless two days.

Now the client needs more changes, and at my insistence, the ISP gave me a permanent password. Which doesn't work. They say it should, and that's apparently the end of the matter as far as they are concerned.

I've tried three different FTP programs, I've tried every possible variation of the login info, every possible setting to connect, and nothing works. The clients aren't terribly web-savvy and are happy with this ISP for the most part. Especially since it's so close to Christmas, they're reluctant to move the site to another server.

Has anyone run into this problem before with an FTP connection? I'm fairly certain the problem is with the ISP, but how do I go about convincing THEM? And for that matter, my clients?

Suggestions would be appreciated, either for technical solutions or for how to deal with this ISP.