• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Configuring my Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Started by EamonX1, August 19, 2004, 15:08 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

EamonX1

I am   trying to set up my Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).  I am not sure of the IP address for my computer (one of four connected to broadband through a lan in my office). I forgot to note it down when reformatting my hard disk recently.  But I have a good idea of what it might be since I have the IP addresses of the other three computers. Unfortunately I am not in a position to contact the Service Provider and no one here seems to have the list of numbers.
What I want to know is this?
    Are the Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Server  addresses the same for all four computers? Is it  only the IP addresss that is different?  It will be easier for my (by trial and error) to hit on the right IP Address if that is the only address I have to worry about.

saoirse

Start -> run -> cmd -> ipconfig /all

Here you will see information regarding your question.  The computers within the LAN will differ by IP.  The subnet, gateway and DNS settings should be the same.  

Your ISP will be able to tell you the preferred DNS settings.  

Allie-Baba

Actually, that all really depends upon how your ISP has set up your connections. Normally in a home network you'll have a Switch/Router and a Modem  - or a combined Switch/Router/Modem. In this case you just need to make sure your PC is looking at the correct address for the DHCP server to obtain an IP address from. Certainly you CAN setup fixed IP addresses but there is generally no reason to (only if you need internal DNS services or something woudl this maybe be necessary). In most PC environments you're best to let the network manage itself to be honest.

In the above case, the SP generally won't even fix the IP address of the modem/gateway/router as they prefer to charge extra for that. so in that case what saoirse said will work - you can get your IP address in that way and you should be able to get the DNS settings quicker from one of the other PCs on the network.

However - in the unlikely even that you do NOT have an internal network at work - but seperate and distinct connections direct to your ISP and that is supported via fixed IP connections - then yes, your only choice will be to contact your IPS for the fixed IP address to set your IP connection to.

I think there is a third option - I don't use it so I'm not familiar with it - but I think that Comcast uses it, and that is an intermediate IP address that is required to connect appropriatly to their Cable Modems. I think they do this to help hide what goes on on the cable - but my Bro had problems with this when someone trashed out his wireless router. For the life of me I could not get the thing setup for him until we talked directly to Comcast and they gave us the IP address that was needed. I jsut don't remember any of the particulars for that case. Sorry.

THNX
BRAD

"I had  something to say here, but then I forgot"

EamonX1

Have now succeeded in obtaining the IP address. By running
Start, Command, Winipcfg /all
(my OS is Win95).

However I am still not connecting to Internet. Cables etc are correct. Device Manager tells me the Adaptor is properly installed - no conflicts. All TCP/IP address are now correct. I set up my Internet Connection using the 'Connect to Lan' option.  But still no joy. Any advice?

Allie-Baba

To make sure that TCP/IP is functioning on at least a min level - Start-Command-Ping "ipaddresses".

Try pinging several addresses - internally and externally. If the other PCs in your office aren't running firewall SW you can ping them. Try some external addresses and your internal router.

What is the IP address BTW? It's not one of the default ones is it? Win 95 goes way back for me but didn't 95 default to a fixed IP address if it couldn't get one from DHCP?

THNX
BRAD

EamonX1

You are right. The IP Address, I suspect, is a default one. It ends with a 1. I

I have pinged several IP Addresses on the Network (on computers which are connecting to the Internet and do not have firewalls). I got NO REPLY from any of them. I only got a reply from the IP Address which is clearly the default one (192.168.1.1.)

Allie-Baba

Is that the IP address that ipconfig reports?

Allie-Baba

What else does ipconfig report?

It should look something like:

"Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : whatever.com
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 1.2.3.4
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 11.22.33.44 "

Run ipconfig on one of the other PCs that you know works and report it's info. I suspect that the gateway info is set or is notset correctly. You should be able to get that info from the other PCs as well. finally - make sure that all of the right things are installed for your network on the network connection. things like NetBUI if you need it - etc.

check the easiest stuff first though - things like easy network settings and compare to other PCs in your network.

You didn't mention how your network supports the PCs, does it have a DHCP server? If so then you need to make sure that your PC is seeing the server - it doesn't look like it is to me. make sure that the PC is set to get it's IP address from that server. you set that in your PCs LAN connection properties. If I recall correctly - if the DHCP servers address differes from the WIN 95 default - then I think you need to set it manually in the properies, select TCP/IP Properties I think it's in there.

THNX
BRAD

EamonX1

When I run Win95's equivalent for ipconfig (winipcfg /all) it gives me the following

Host Name -   default
DNS Servers  - 192.111.39.1.
Node Type - Broadcast
IP Routing - not enabled
Wins Prosy - not enabled
NetBios Resolution uses DNS - not enabled
------------------------------------------
ETHEREAL ADAPTER INFORMATION
Realtek 8139 - Series PC1 Nic.

Adapter address -  19-02-16-08-01-20
IP Address - 192.168.1.1 [I assume this is the default address given by Win95)
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway  192.168.1.230
DHCP Server. 192.168.1.230.

(the addresses for the DNS servers, the Default Gateway and the DHCP server  are taken from a computer on the network which is connecting properly)

I pressed the RENEW OPTION. Renew All. I got the message 'DHCP Server unavailable'. That must be significant.

Still not working. And when I ping the computer which is working I get 'request timed out' - no reply.

Allie-Baba

What happens if you ping both the DNS server and the DHCP server - you should get a series of 4 responses. At least from the DHCP server.

Unfortunately Win95 is a distant memory for me - but I think that at least the NetBIOS needs to be enabled - I think. My WIN XP machines all use the NETBIOS default setting to get the setting from the DHCP server so I'm not completely sure.

In the end though - you need to be set up with all the right protocols for YOUR network. You need to look at the config settings for the network connection on both PCs and get them to match. You may need to install things like NETBUI if you need it (you may not).

I may be at my meager limit of Win95 memory and knowledge at this point.

Silly thing - did you try a full reboot? Have you tried pinging your machine from another machine?

THNX
BRAD

EamonX1

Thanks for your help, interest and advice. I'll let you know the outcome, as it develops