• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Lian-Li Hard Drive Enclosure.

Started by Whizbang, January 06, 2005, 18:04 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

I just received the above from BuyExtras (a Yahoo store).  Frankly, I do not see how they can sell it for $12.00.  The hard drive is mounted in the slide-in case that is then pushed into the attached fixed rack in a 5 1/2" bay.  Both the IDE and the power plug are combined into a self-locating plug on the back of the insert.  It makes for an easy install.  The pull-out handle disengages the insert from the rack and then extends outward for easy removal and transport of the contained drive.  I bought the drive not for transporting but for easy removal for switching out Linux systems, formatting drives, fixing problems and resetting jumpers.  The insert also comes as a separate attachment which makes it great for fast switchouts on drives, but the cost is almost as much as the full unit.

A small replaceable fan is on the back and a keylock is included for security.  

BuyExtras

scuzzy

Thanks for passing that along. I couldn't pass up on it and decided to order a unit for myself.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Whizbang

I have ordered only one enclosure, and it came today.  I really see no reason to order just an extra insert when the whole package costs only a little over $2.00 more.  I have been trying it on the 40G IBM drive that got "lost in the woods" on a faliled Linux installation.  The computer finally located it but has yet to tame it.

The insert must be locked in order to work.  The keyed lock has the 12V DC power wire running through it, and there is a power LED and hard drive activity LED on the front of the unit.  Once unlocked, removing it is a bit like opening one of those retail store doors with a long bar, only you must lift the bar rather than push it.  It has a good fit and feel to it.

Whizbang

Dedicated "ribbon," but I just don't think that it makes sense to purchase an insert for $9.95 when the whole shebang costs only $11.95.  If you are going to transfer the drive to another unit, you would need to match the mobo and installed peripherals.  The mobility is really for data storage and not for active OS switchout.  Yes, you need a rack in both of the units.

scuzzy

Quote from: JohnnyOH on January 09, 2005, 06:59 hrs
WB, isn't the point of having this removable unit, to be able pull it out of the insert and plug it into another machine?
Don't you need a second insert already installed in the receiving machine?

And, is it set up as a slave or is there a dedicated ribbon to the mobo?

:)

The point of a removable unit is to easily remove the hard drive for safe storage. Once my unit arrives, I intend to remove my 2nd hard drive from its current location inside my PC and install it in the inner tray. After backing up what I want, the hard drive then gets stored in my fire proof safe.

If you prefer, you can install your primary hard drive in the unit. This way the computer can be disabled by removing the hard drive, while safely storing the hard drive and its contents. This is also an easy way to try a different operating system setup on a different hard drive. For example, one hard drive can have WinXP, and another can have an experimental setup of Linux. By having the setups on easily swappable hard drives, you don't risk hosing up your primary OS.

BTW: The inner tray is the enclosure that holds the hard drive itself. Buying a spare inner tray will hold another hard drive, but you won't be able to use it on another computer unless the second computer has the matching receiving enclosure. I did not see the outer enclosure sold separately. But if all you can save is two dollars, then you might as well buy a complete unit.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

scuzzy

My unit arrived in the mail today, and I must admit that I'm impressed with it. I look forward to plugging it in this upcoming weekend.

The plastic enclosure and insert appear to be a high-quality plastic, with a well thought-out design. The lock isn't anything special, but it will prevent accidentally removing the hard drive while the power is still on. The front of the enclosure has two LEDs - one for power indication, and the other to let the user know if the hard drive is being accessed. The insert has a firm, reasuring feel when mating with the enclosure.

Once I have it hooked up, I'll let you folks know how it went. I already feel good about the unit, although I feel as if I ripped off the company that sold it to me. I shoulda bought 2. The total price for my one unit was $18.74, including priority mail S/H.

Whizbang

Quote from: scuzzy on January 12, 2005, 12:12 hrs

I already feel good about the unit, although I feel as if I ripped off the company that sold it to me. I shoulda bought 2. The total price for my one unit was $18.74, including priority mail S/H.
If you think that was cheap, I just found and bought another for $14.25 including S&H at

Computer3G

It arrived yesterday.  After some thought (difficult at my age), I have decided that using mobile enclosures is more practical, more stable, and not as messy as running a lot of extra cables, IDE cards, and fans to keep a stack of hard drives cool.  I can have a dedicated slot or two for the enclosures and switch out as many OS's as I want without being cramped for space.  It is really a good idea to be sure that the slots are configured in the same way (Master, slave, or stand-alone Master) so there will be no confusion as to which slot takes which drive.  Unless you have a full tower though, one slot is about all you can spare for a switch-out if you have two CD/DVD bays occupied and a zip drive.

Mark H

I think that now Lian Li makes a SATA version, but it seems to be much more expensive. :o I am thinking about putting one in my next build for backup drives that I can physically remove from the PC.

Lian Li RH-38-SAC

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Whizbang

I guess the inexpensive plastic cases that I had been purchasing from them were a bit beneath their standards.  Actually, I have had no problem at all with them and wish they would supply SATA enclosures in plastic too.

(Edit):  Here is a better price at NewEgg

This was by far the best price.  Some locations have it as high as $80.00 +.

Mark H

The problem is that my case is a black Lian Li, so I am looking for a black one.

Mark H

Whizbang

Mark H

WB,

I think the one at Newegg for the low price is an older model that is not available anymore so it is at a clearance type price. The new model number is RH-48-SAC while the older model doesn't have the "SAC" in the model name. You can look at the side of the one I linked and the one you linked and see the different grid pattern.

Mark H

Whizbang

I was ready to buy it and repaint it with some "White-out."   ;D