• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Adding a Drive Cage to Antec SX Series Case

Started by pat, July 22, 2006, 11:43 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

pat

This guide will describe how to add a drive cage to an Antec-Chenming-Chieftec SX series case and from what I read will also work in the TX series cases. Take a look at your case to be sure though.

First you will need to order a drive cage and a support bracket. Be sure to get the support bracket with the pin as they sell both, with or without the pin. If desired you may also order the drive cage fan brcket as you will be removing a fan bracket to add the drive cage.

New parts.

Drive cage with fan bracket.

Once you have received the parts, tools required will be a drill with a 1/8th bit and a pop rivet tool and 6 pop rivets.

Here?s a look at both my cases. The one on the left is an Antec and the one on the right is a generic Chieftec. Even though I've had them both for a while now they continue to serve me well and I will most likely continue to use these cases for the foreseeable future.

Ok, first remove the left side and front covers.

Next, remove the fan directly below the drive cage.

Remove the drive cage and drill out the 3 pop rivets that hold on the drive support. This one does not have the pin for the drive catch/lever to engage and will be moved to the lower position.

Put the new drive support with the pin in place where the drive support without the pin was and move the drive support without the pin down to the new position. It will only fit in the correct way, if the three holes line up you?re good to go. Fasten to the case with pop rivets.

Put your drive cages back in.

After that it's just a matter of putting the front back and side panel back on.

Here are a couple more pictures of my other case that I also added another drive cage to. One reason I like the additional space is that you can add up to 6 hard drives now. I will most likely only use 4 but, will be able to space them apart so I should get better air flow around them.

Discuss this article.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64