• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Floppy Drive Boot Problem

Started by mbaldw, December 03, 2009, 03:44 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

mbaldw

Hi folks,

last night I removed the floppy drive from my PC (I never use it and plan to replace it with a caddy of USB and card reader slots).   The removal went fine, but upon firing the computer up it stopped during post saying it had encoundered an error "40" associated with the floppy drive.   I hit DEL to enter the BIOS and disabled boot option 3 (which was the floppy), saved and re-started.   Again, POST stopped.   Hitting F1 at this point completes the boot normally and gets me into Vista (Home Premium, X64 with SP1), which still shows an A: drive in Windows Explorer.   Is there anywhere else I should be looking to convince the computer that the floppy is gone?

Cheers,
Marc.

pat

There may also be another option to disable the drive in BIOS. Check the first page of devices listed in BIOS and check to see if there is an option to either enable or disable the drive. Could also be something like "enable floppy seek" in there somewhere as well.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

mbaldw

Thanks Pat.   I obviously missed that - I'll go back in tonight and have a look.

Cheers,
Marc.

scuzzy

Since you are receiving the error at POST, and windows continues to report an A drive, then the solution will be in the BIOS setup.

As Pat mentioned, fish around in the BIOS settings and disable anything floppy related. Disabling the floppy from the boot order/priority is not enough.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

scuzzy

There's nothing odd about that. My main system (see my signature) still uses a floppy drive, as I am required to turn in reports on a 3.5" floppy.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

mbaldw

Hi folks,

Pat and scuzzy were spot on - there was an option in the BIOS that I had overlooked.  Thanks guys.

JA - The computer isn't that old (just under 2 years) - it has a 2.66GHz dual core processor and 4 gig RAM so it doesn't have any problems running Vista (I'm actually looking to upgrade to Win 7 in the New Year).   I brought a floppy drive when I first got the PC because we had some instruments at work that save data to hand-held units that hold floppy disks.

Thanks again for the help.
Cheers,
Marc.