• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

WORST NEW TV SHOW

Started by Ace, October 13, 2007, 06:53 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

Just to preface, when I have the choice between reading a good book or venturing out to an art gallery or catching a stage production, I watch TV.

Ok, then, just on this year's new shows, that I've seen or read about, I would have to say MY nominee for "GOSHAWFUL WORST SHOW, MAYBE EVER" would have to be:

drumroll..

drumstick...

CAVEMEN.

Look; I thought they were funny enough for the Geico commercials, too.  But after watching maybe 15 minutes of the first episode, and apparently in agreement with the free world and most every critic who did too, that had to be not only the worst idea but worst excuse for a comedy ever.  When you base a show on the premise of cavemen, in modern times, and then DON'T EVEN ALLUDE TO WHY IN THE WORLD THEY HAPPEN TO EVEN BE HERE, NOW plus DON'T EVEN USE THE INHERENT joke, or move in that direction, but instead make the thing about RACE RELATIONS (huh?  cavemen are a race..?) and bigotry instead of the maybe Luddite like tendencies (sorry, Bill) of how they might function, and what folks might make of them, being around.... Geez Louise.  Stink-Stank-Stunk, as the Grinch would say.

Now, one I dearly love is Big Bang Theory with the geeks, and the cute girl.  I also like "Chuck", which is up against it for a half hour.  Although I do find funnier moments and better writing and sillier parts in Big Bang, so I'm leaning that way. 

I don't watch it, but Friday Night Lights was said to absolutely impale itself on a really bad plot development by having one of the "reality based small town Texas highschoolers" kill a guy and then toss the body with his girlfriend into the river.  Like that happens pretty frequently, in high school, in Texas.  Making it now sensationalist "entertainment" and diminishing the two characters into just that action and pretty much blowing the realism right out the door.  Maybe it will get to be like the serial killer series, where serial killers pop up weekly (conveniently enough).  I actually thought they were kinda rare, but apparently they're all over the place and living next door to you.  Or, maybe, in your home.  Better check.

I'll probably like the band competition that's gonna be like American Idol, just with more of them.  I don't like Dancing With Stars since I watch "Do You Think You Can Dance" with actual dancers, so amateurs posing just doesn't cut the rug in comparison.

I can't think of anything to offer, as far as dinner...  I had Papa John's Roma pizza last night, and it's not agreeing with me this morning, but what else is new, you know?

Oh, and I still like Two and a Half Men, almost best.  And The Office, pretty much best.  Boy, Survivor is getting old, to me.  It seems to get meaner, and more miserable, every time.  Kind of like the Poast Office can be.  I enjoy "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader", especially when someone blows the big money on a "sure thing" ("Well, I know England couldn't have had a 100 year war with France...!  France couldn't have kept a war up for that long... so I'm pretty sure it must have been Spain...!).  Also, when Greed overcomes Reason on "Deal or No Deal?" and people mistake Luck and Chance for Faith and Destiny. 

Ace; don't make that mistake.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

So now you're calling me a Cavemen.  Sounds like catcalling to me  no wait that was the other one.

Maybe putting a couple of them together would help.  How about Jeff Foxworthy hosting Are you smarter than a Caveman or Survivors can't Dance?  You could even try that with your dinner problems, try Two and a Half Pigs in a Blanket. I'll bet that would be easier on you tummy.  But it was probably the two and a half bottles of Merlot that you neglected to mention with the Pizza that did you in!

Bill; Luddite indeed.
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

2 1/2 Chucks.  You might have something there.  Chuck or No Deal?  Hey, it was only one dang bottle and I only had half of it. 

Ace; you don't know the half of it.
Ring bells for service.

Whizbang

I never thought Cavemen would make it.  All of the cavemen humor was lost after the first four Geico commercials.  Now the Gecko is different.  The little lizard just gets your attention.  After all, lizards never lie; they just slither out of any problem.  There is just something appealing about an animated vegetable salad with a tail that really makes you trust Geico Insurance.  Cavemen are not supposed to need insurance.  This new show is just a failed production due to over-typecasting.  I have never been good at picking which guy the women like.  My wife likes the hairy-chested Tim McGraw and the blue-eyed baby-faced Kasey Kahne.  I have watched her, and the cavemen have no appeal.  I think it might be the bad teeth, but I am afraid to ask because there could just be a seething undercurrent of giggly swoon about to appear.  I will keep you informed of any problematic turn of events.

Ace

Oh, you get globally warm just watching Celtic Women.  Hey, maybe if they had Celtic women chasing cavemen that would be...

Probably on Heroes, this season.  So who's baby faced blue eyed and hairy chested?  And there's no way I'm ordering a lizard salad, although it's interesting to think of them as vegetables.  I guess a Vegan can eat lizards, then.

I did see an actual Big Boy restaurant, in Grand Rapids.  I think he's brown-eyed, though.  Couldn't see his chest.  I owned chameleons for a time, and they weren't all that entertaining.  I never ate one, though.

Ace; I hate food that changes color, unless it's over time, in the fridge.  I look for women that swoon for bald headed brown-eyed hairy backed men.
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

I think every single modern TV show that's on right now is the worst I have ever seen. So I just don't watch TV anymore, except for PBS. I've been watching The War, which appears to be longer that the actual war. Sort of like M*A*S*H and the Korean War.

I miss the good old shows from way back when. I Love Lucy, The Waltons, Little House, Rifleman, Roy Rogers Show, Mission Impossible, Lassie, and the like. Even The Monkees, The Archies, and Patridge Family mixed in with old B&W Tarzan flicks.

Scuzzy; Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end, we'd sing and dance forever and a day.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Buffalo2102

Amen to that Scuzzy.

I've had it with all of the rubbish so-called "reality" TV, most of which should be renamed "freak-show" TV.  When I watch TV it is to get away from reality and relax for a while.  With all of the rubbish on TV these days I find myself having to work more, do more DIY, spend time on poasters, or just go to bed early.  Finding it more and more difficult to justify paying my TV license - at least you guys don't have to pay for one of those.

Interestingly, Mission Impossible is one of a few gems that are enjoying a re-run on UK TV at the moment and I am enjoying it immensely.

Buff; Merlot helps me escape from reality.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Ace

I thought I heard "Living in the Past" coming from in here...

Let me offer this Laurel, and Hearty Handshake, to our friends across the pond for their exemplary contributions to state of the art television:

Monty Python's Flying Circus
The Marty Feldman Show
Fawlty Towers
The Avengers
Oh; and the Vicar of Dibley Show.  I like that too. 

Also the Canadians for SCTV: the late great John Candy, the Mackenzie Bros.  Andrea Martin, Joe Flaherty, Catherine O'Hara, Rick Moranis, Eugene Levy. Dave Thomas.  et al.

Ace; and Chef Gordon Ramsey.

Ring bells for service.

pat

You know, I just don't get that Office show. I've watched it two times now and I've paid attention to what was going on, but I just don't get it. The humor must be on a higher level or really low-key. 
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

scuzzy

I've never seen The Office, so I wouldn't know.

But I agree with Ace's List. Especially Fawlty Towers, which in my opinion is the greatest comedy to ever come out of the other side of the Big Pond.

Some other shows that I truly enjoy(ed):

Robot Wars (especially the house robots: Matilda and Sir Killalot) as hosted by Craig Charles
Red Dwarf (starring Craig Charles)
Are You Being Served?

Scuzzy; and I am unanimous in that.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

Now, I love the Office.  That is the actual must-see TV to me.  Along with 2 1/2 men.  Working in an office, it strikes home.  Red Dwarf definitely gets a nod.  "Are You Being Served" seemed dated, from the get go, and too over the top for me.  Of course, tonight "Storm Team 16" blew through the ENTIRE HOUR of the Office to give you second by second radar of the storm creeping over Niles and Cass County, and the Rotation Special.  Like they couldn't just put the warning in the stupid corner of the screen, and get on with it.

You know, I agree with a recent vote as to the actual best show of all time: Seinfeld.  I can watch reruns of that over and over, and it never loses appeal.  Also, the earlier years of Friends.  Some shows pass their sell-by date (Seinfeld was wheezing, at the end...) and you wish they just woulda ended at their peak. Criminy, eventually everyone in Friends dated everyone else and most of them were pregnant, by nobody.

The thing about MASH that bothered me was that I REALLY liked the original movie, more, and Alan Alda is just too whiny after awhile.  As opposed to Buff, who's winey after Merlot.

Also, I liked the Addams Family but the Munsters was always kinda cheesy.  And F Troop.  Actually, I like catching bits of the 3 Stooges... but not Curly Joe.  Just Curly.  And sometimes Shemp, but he's no Curly.

Nyuk Nyuk.  Whoo Whoo Whoo Whoo.  Benny Hill is ok, although it's just sorta a one trick pony.  Hey, I liked Pee Wee's Playhouse, too!  Cowboy Curtis and the Mail Lady and Globey and "Mecca Lecca Hi, Mecca Heinie Ho."  That was some cerebral comedy. 

Ace; better to sit and watch a Pee Wee Herman movie than sit beside Pee Wee, in a movie...

Ring bells for service.

pat

I really don�t watch much network TV, I try not to miss 2 and one half men though, that is pretty funny. I like what PBS has to offer, Novi, Frontline, The News Hour, anything with Bill Moyers and that sort of stuff. Not sure if Dr. Who is on anymore, that was a favorite for a long time.

The History Channel has some good shows as well as The Discovery Channel, that Dirty Jobs show with Mike Rowe can be very entertaining. The Planet Earth series was great.

The Daily Show and Colbert Report are a couple of favorites, that stuff is just too funny. My favorite news show however is, Countdown with Keith Olbermann, that guy is on top of his game.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Buffalo2102

I'll start by echoing the vote for Fawlty Towers - absolutely classic farce and John Cleese is a legend.

Secondly, I'll return the sentiment and name some US shows that I particularly enjoy -

I always enjoyed Cheers and, to a slighlty lesser extent, Frazier.
I really enjoy CSI and Law and Order but I'm getting a bit lost with all of the different "flavours" that there are now.
My Name Is Earl is a lot of fun, as is Friends but that has been repeated here so many times that it has lost it's appeal now.
My absolute favourite though has to be Everybody Loves Raymond.  I really relate to the character and it has me laughing out loud more than anything else on TV.

Buff; got to go...CSI NY SVU CI is on....something like that anyway.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Ace

Well, not everybody loved Raymond.  I didn't, that much.  But I did like Peter Boyle.  Nobody put on the Ritz, like Peter Boyle...  I guess the Mother In Law on that just annoyed me too much.  But it was a'ight.  Man, lot of spin offs from it; what's her name's on that TV News show with Frazier, and the brother has a sitcom too. 

You know, the (second?) Bob Newhart Show was strange, and Funny.  Especially Larry, Darryl and Darryl.  And Coach, at least initially.  I like farce, too, although usually we don't get to discuss bodily functions here.

Explain to me why CSI Las Vegans had the initial show with what's her name almost dying under that car, only to have her live, only to have her leave the show...?!  Geez Louise, just kill her off when you have the chance. 

For Cop shows I really liked Homicide,and Hill Street Blues, and NYPD Also Blue with David Caruso and Andy Sipowicz and then Jimmy Smits especially the shower scenes, unless it was Sipowicz  and then I didn't, much.  Funny how Caruso and Smits left that, to go nowhere for a long time until CSI and The Banana Republic or Cane or Bamboo or whatever the one is with Smits.  I liked "Paper Chase" with John Houseman, too.  Just because nobody sounds like John Houseman.  John Cleese did a good nude scene, I guess, in A Fish Called Wanda. 

For Game Shows, I nominate "Whose Line Is It?"  Just because the points didn't matter.

Ace; sorta like my poast count, here.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

My nomination for the stupidest time waster is Dancing with the Stars -The Results Show on Tuesday.  Here is an example of an hour that could be and should be 15 minutes.  Although the returning co-host and the postpartum figure offers some distraction.

Law and Order was better before Jerry Orbach died and Fred Thompson (who is about to) reigned.

And Scuzzy, you left out Hit Parade, Lawrence Welk and Howdy Doody, all classics in their own rite.

Bill

Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

Looking at his recent campaigning, I think Fred Thompson died too... He probably oughta keep is day, and night, jobs. 

Scuzzy never made it out of Romper Room.  For musical variety I nominate the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, Sonny and Cher, Tom Jones, The Ed Sullivan Show, Midnight Special, and In Concert.  For modern times, Austin City Limits.  But not Dance Fever with Denny Terio.  Geez, I'm glad Disco Died.

I am very offended by the neckwear and cut of suits and hideous pastel colors of the Lawrence Welk Show.  Except I got married in an outfit like that.

Ace; and Glen Campbell, with John Hartford.  And about half of Hee Haw and Laugh In (the funny half, not the other one).
Ring bells for service.