• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

PC locks up overnight

Started by Bubba, October 03, 2009, 11:09 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba

My PC seems to lock up/freeze after sitting idle, not sure how long it takes but it will have a frozen screensaver in the mornings.

New sound card [ Diamond 7.1 Extreme ]
New Video card  [ G-Force 9500 GT]
New Kingston Memory [ 4 1G sticks]
New Hard Drive ordered [ 320G SATA Connection]

Using a FoxConn MB: Model  915AOL P8EKRS2
3.4 G CPU Intel

I had a hard drive disaster. I had 2 SATA hard drives, The 2nd drive must have died, [ wolud that prevent a boot up to operating system drive 1  ?] PC would not boot, so I earased/formatted the 1st drive and reinstalled WIN XP Pro. After that, the 2nd drive was hit and miss,, as far as being recognized,,,, when  XP did find the drive, it said it had 0 files and 0 space available,,, it asked if I wanted to format the drive. Ugh,,,, lost a bunch of stuff.

The occassional freezes happened before meltdown,,, and I am still using the one original 1st HD, until new one gets here. Since it works fine while busy, and only freezes when idle, I thought it was a  bug,, Anti virus and Malware program finds nothing. SpeedFan says nothing is hotter than 104 deg.   Could the CPU be dying ???
Like Grandpa used to say, "maybe there ain't nothin' wrong, but, somethin' aint' right."

Buffalo2102

It's very unlikely to be anything to do with the CPU.  It works fine most of the time and CPU's almost never fail unless you overclock them too far and/or run them too hot.

In my experience this sort of thing is usually down to drivers (graphics drivers are notorious for this sort of problem).  I would suggest making sure that all of your drivers are up to date if they aren't already.  If you still have the problem then start tweaking the power saving settings for your PC.  There are several options that can be set in the BIOS and then there are further tweaks within the Windows Control Panel.  If you are unsure of anything then Google is your friend - it should be very simple to find explanations for all of the possible options.  And there is always Poasters, of course.

Good luck

Buff
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Bubba

Thanks Buff,,,
When i changed the video card, I did a driver update,, I took out a 6800 card, and put in a 9500, it said I had the newest drivers,,, so it is saying the 6800 and 9500 take the same drivers I guess,,,,
I always check for new drivers,,,, on video especially,,, so my 6800 drivers are very recent,, and the 9 series and 6 series must use the same drivers.
Like Grandpa used to say, "maybe there ain't nothin' wrong, but, somethin' aint' right."

Bill

Bubba,
I wouldn't trust anything a quirky machine is telling me.  You might want to look for a driver that is specifically listed for the 9500 card and install it.  Wouldn't hurt in any case.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Bubba

Still getting the freeze while idle,,,,, got new drivers from Nvidia for video card, still freezin'. If it is a software thing,,, may be hard to find,,, I have  Reg Cure will reinstall that and run that a few times. As far as spyware,,, who knows ??? I have a Spyware program from CA Antivirus [ free from Frontiernet ] I suppose there are 4700 different spyware removers out there,,, not sure you can use more than one,,, they may fight each other,,,,,,,,,,,, ugh,,,,,,,,, stupid computers anyway.   Could it be the hard drive messing with my head ???  Is there a hard drive checking software  ???

pat

A possible power supply issue comes to mind.

Check to be sure all those new parts haven't exceeded its capacity. 
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Bubba

Well,,, I believe it is a 550 or 600 PS,,,,I did a little snooping around,,,, found a note that said to turn off the Nvidia driver monitor or something in the Con Panel, Admin   Services,,,, I did that,,,, will see if anything good happens,,,,

It did this dipsy-do before new parts,,,,, it also is slow shutting down,,,, I get impatient and hit windows restart icon 3 times ,, then it will restart,,,,

Bubba

I  reinstalled the video and sound card driver, and some other stuff,,, seems ok now.