• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Idol '09

Started by Bill, March 04, 2009, 06:59 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

Unlike other years, we have watched all of the early selection shows.  My selections from last night, in no particular order, are Jorges, Scott the blind guy, and last but certainly not least, the last lady performer of the evening. 

Just a bit transparent how the talent level grows as the show progresses. 

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Mark H

My picks from last night are Lil Rounds, Scott Macintyre and Jorge Nunez. These are the same ones as you picked Bill.

Mark H; I too watched the early rounds for the first time in a few years.
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Ace

I hate it when you guys start throwing big words around, like names, because then I have to go look them up to see "who the heck was that one..."
I actually liked Ju'Not last night.  I did not stay up for Lil whatever, in the final spot.  I guess I didn't expect much from her, but I suppose I should pay attention to the seeding...  Scott the Piano man is fine, but I really don't consider him as good a singer as others.  Just a nice rounded talent, and good guy.  I thought Jorge has a nice voice, but not exactly that riveting.

So far my absolute favorite is the guy who lost his wife recently, with the glasses  (yes, I should look it up.... dangit).  And the red red head who sang Heart last week.  And I dearly wish NOone would sing another Alicia Keys song... criminy, she isn't that dang entertaining herself and the songs sure aren't worth covering.  And I could do without ever hearing "Put Another Record On" in my lifetime. 

Ace; I haven't bought David Cook's CD yet, as I don't feel like spending $13 something for it.  I did get the Chris Cornell solo disc that had his version of Billie Jean that Cook did last year. 
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Just as an aside, I did get a chuckle from Simon's revised opinion about Jorge's accent.  What would you call Simon's vocal sounds, surely not American.

Bill, at least it's not a drawl, y'all.
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Mark H

Quote from: Ace on March 04, 2009, 16:47 hrs

So far my absolute favorite is the guy who lost his wife recently, with the glasses (yes, I should look it up.... dangit). 

Danny Gokey is his name and he is one of my absolute favorites. I like Allison Iraheta as well, which is the one who sung Heart's song Alone, which is one of my favorite all time songs.

I have to look up the contestant's names as well and do it from this link.

I am thrilled that Tatiana Nicole Del Toro is gone since I could not stand her acting like a drama queen. I also hope that Nathaniel Marshall  is gone tonight since he is the drama king to match the drama queen.

Mark H

Mark H

I think that Tatiana Nicole Del Toro is a good singer and deserves to be in the wild card round. I just can't stand her drama queen act.

Mark H; I am hooked (again)

Ace

Oh, Puh-Leeze...  Tatiana is a good singer except for the drama queen act.  Geez Criminy, there's nothing but the drama queen act.  I do think they did that just to see how far they could push the viewers' tolerance level.  There isn't anyone they brought back that I wish they had..  And by wasting picks on Tatiana (and thank goodness they didn't continue Cabaret Boy with his Boy George headband) they cut off some promising talent like Ju'Not.  I think having the Betty Davis Thighs girl back is also a bit weird. 

Thanks for the name game and link; I still am going to have to have more time to learn who these people are.  Although I probably won't need to on too many, after tonight.  I am going to have to figure who Adam Lambert is.  I'm drawing a blank, as usual...  At least I do remember Jorge.  Or "Mark Antony Jr.". 

ace; I wish JLo would stop by...  Anything is better than an inebriated Abdul. 
Ring bells for service.

Mark H

It looks like we have another cute tatoo arm girl in the final 12 (13) that is going to make me cringe at how good she would look without the stupid full arm tatoo. Anyone remember Carly Smithson? She would have been much better looking without her tatoo.

Mark H; Can anyone tell that I don't like full arm tatoos on females (or males either)?

Ace

I don't like full body tattoos either.  Especially on the neck, or head.  I'm glad Tatooine is gone.  If I wanted Drama, I'd watch "House."  But I do like Carly Smithson; I thought she was a heck of a singer. 

I thought last night wound up ok; the better people advanced.  Although I don't know what Doopdong is gonna be as an artist, and I'd rather have seen Ju'Not get through.  But that's splitting hairs.  At least the really unworthy aren't.

Ace; Go Danny.  Please don't do a Chris Daughtry early departure. 
Ring bells for service.

Mark H

I just listened to Heart's "Alone" when Allison Iraheta sung it and then listed to Carrie Underwood sing it and Carrie blows Allison away. There is no way that Allison Iraheta can touch the vocals of Carrie Underwood.

Mark H; Carrie Underwood is one of my favorites, so maybe I'm bias.

Ace

If I had to choose I'd take Ann Wilson singing it over anybody. Plus, she's a bigger star than either Carrie or Allison.  She's twice the performer.

Ace; wait for it...
Ring bells for service.

Mark H

Quote from: Ace on March 08, 2009, 10:21 hrs
If I had to choose I'd take Ann Wilson singing it over anybody. Plus, she's a bigger star than either Carrie or Allison.  She's twice the performer.

Ace; wait for it...

I agree, but my point is that Carrie sounds better than Allison. Heart is one of my all time favorite groups.

Mark H; I have been to a Heart concert.

Ace

My point is Ann Wilson has become a huge star.  Ginormous.  Nearly as big as Aretha Franklin.

Ace; I thought I was at the Rotunda when she sang at the inaugaration.
Ring bells for service.

Mark H

Tonight, I liked Danny Gokey and Lil Rounds. I think Scott Lambert shouts to much. I think Megan Corkley will be gone tomorrow.

Mark H; I wonder what will be the new format or rules.

Ace

I do like Danny; even a song that I don't think much of sounds good by him.  I thought Adam was alright, with his Elvis meets Cabaret act.  It's funny he was criticized for being too theatrical but now they're impressed.

I still like Allison, and glad there's one rocker in it.  I think Scott doesn't have that much of a range, either.  I'm not a fan of Lil's style but I think she'll be consistent and always professional...  I've gotta say the Michael Jackson catalog is not thick enough to support this group; especially with "Man in The Mirror" already out of play.  Is Megan the one armed tattoo bandit?  If so, Rockin' Robin ougtha sound the death knell.. My gosh, that was more embarrassing than Blondie forgetting the words last year. 

I would've like to have heard "Ben."  For all the songs Michael Jackson's done there sure are a lot I've never heard (and never needed to...).  I think Streaker's "Dirty Diana" was strained, and with the bogus call in on her (IDOLS 36..?) she's probably doomed.  Plus, Doop Doggie Dog's "Beat It" should.  As in "get along...". 

Ace; Paula should be a lot of fun with the hangover....  They could put Chef Ramsey on the panel to replace her: "You stupid donkey!  You burned the ballad!  P.... off!"

Ace; I love British humour.
Ring bells for service.

Ace

Liquor to add to Paula's coke during a week's tapings:  $22.85.  Tee shirt for Simon Cowell:  $19.95.
Ryan asking Simon "Will you save Jorge..?"
"No."
Priceless...

I will add that Kelly Clarkson has become a much BIGGER star than either Ann Wilson or Carrie Underwood.  She's TWICE the star of them, along with Nancy Wilson and probably a good portion of Meat Loaf thrown in.  Criminy, did she not know her new CD was out and she might want to look the part?

Ace; she oughta start doing the Sunday Night Football song; she's looking like a lineman.
Ring bells for service.

Ace

"Sloshed" would be my term for her, this year.  And hanging out of that dress was unusually not appealing...

I absolutely concur on the plaid men; I wondered if they were doing an "Ode To Grunge" episode.  Danny Gokey dresses in a very dumpy way, and I wish he'd step it up visually (beyond what must be 50 pairs of those bizarre glasses).  I will say Adam 'dresses up' more and seems more the performer; especially when Danny starts to dance... (Taylor Hicks revisited..?).  I wonder if "Right Arm" will ever cover hers up. 

Ace; I'd rather watch Danny dance than Paula.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Oh, com' on,  there is something appealing about swinging hips, even if they are of the hippo variety.

Bill

Mark H

Quote from: Bill on March 13, 2009, 16:43 hrs
Oh, com' on,  there is something appealing about swinging hips, even if they are of the hippo variety.

Bill

It depends on who is swinging them.  ;)

Mark H

Ace

The root word of "hippo" is "hip."

I'm having this horrible image of Kelly Clarkson and Ann Wilson and Aretha Franklin doing the Bump onstage and taking out the band, judges and a number of innocent bystanders.  Oh, the humanity.

I didn't mind Lil Browns half prom dress/slacks combo.  You know, the way the judges dress, they really can't criticize. 

Ace: the root word of "butter" is...
Ring bells for service.

Bill

The one observation from last night is that country music is more than soulful ballads.  From that perspective, it was a boring evening.

Bill

Ace

Yes, I'd say Adam is unique.  At least as far as being the illbegotten son of Elvis and Freddie Mercury.
Of course, Sanjaya was an original too...

I share Simon's deep antipathy toward Country Music.  Actually, I do admire "real" country as having descended from pure folk, bluegrass, blues.. the British traditional music that hybrided once here.  And the songwriting tradition.  Meaning, I like Hank Williams but not Hank Williams Jr.  Bakersfield, or Texas Swing, is ai'ght too.  I do despise the "pop country" shallow repetitious mindless "Ah Luv Mah Pickup Truk" stuff.  Although Shania Twain can be quirky, and cute.  I like a good singer or performer in any genre.  I guess I'd like "authentic" country, like in genuine anything.  But not the rhinestone variety...

As a Johnny Cash fan, and also of Ring of Fire (plus Walk the Line) I will say Adam ripped that.  Into pieces.  But I'd also congratulate him for not twanging his way through some half baked copy of something he'd sooner not do anyway (see "Lil Little Rounds").  And by golly, a mideastern take on that song was definitely memorable.  And country.  Even if the country is Egypt...  It was stunning, but so's an electrical short if your finger's plugged in.

As far as other cool, I though Anoop Dog brought down the house.  I like Willie Nelson, and that was an upgrade.  Megan's walking pneumonia at Midnight was at least as bizarre as Adam's ring; but enjoyable for much the same reason as in "what the heck..?!"  I figured her spasmodic moves were just convulsions last night.  Allison can flat out sing, and perform, and I don't think I'll ever not like anything she does.  I enjoyed Kris Allen; the guy's steady and really good.  I like to hear him, and watch him.  That Matt finally reminded people of Michael Buble is about 3 weeks after that should have been obvious.

As for Falling Flat:  Scott is catching Brooke-itis from last year... Nice, repetitive, bland "pleasant" but not stirring.  I think Danny G. is going to bracket himself off into the gospel-tinged sameness, and will never deliver a really riveting memorable risky demonstration (in contrast to David Cook and others who have bent the bar as well as raised it).  He reminds me of the Aussie guy that seemed so good last year and then ground himself down with unmemorable (or just wrong) song choices and sameness.  Alexis sounded a lot like Dollie, but not as good as.  That doesn't help her any.

And I hated hated hated Michael's running the words together running off at the mouth running his pickup truck over Garth Brooks thing, because that's just the sort of country stuff I despise.  I just think it's hokey and dumb and annoying.  And so's he.

Vulnerable as all get out to me would be Mikey (if there is any justice), Lil Little, and Alexis, and Scott.  And if you could "vote out the one you hate" Adam could probably make a run for it, in the ears of many.  Danny could wind up at risk; will be interesting to see if the judges would save him, if that occurs (soon). 

If Paula is counting who gets eliminated as well as she can count verses sung, they could get rid of 4 or 5 people tonight.  The root word of "incoherent" is "drunk."

Ace; I'm working on it.  But still gotta stay awake to watch.

Ring bells for service.

Mark H

Alexis Grace is one person I think should have been in the top 10. I really think Michael Carver or Megan Joy should be gone.

Mark H; I liked Alexis Grace

Mark H

Megan would be sexier if she didn't have that stupid tatoo all over her right arm!

Mark H; I hate tatoos.

Ace

Randy Jackson's memoirs, as bassist (for 5 minutes) with Journey: 2 cents.  Carla Diwhat's her name's over use of "Amazing...": $1.50.
Ryan asking Randy "so, who do you think we'll go home?"
RJ: "I think Allison..."
AG: "My name's Alexis."
priceless

I hoped Sarver would hit the skids and go see his kid too.  He has an arrogance that is absolutely undeserved.  It was sad, but Alexis sang (shouted/cried) her way out of any bailout.  It was almost painful to see the pleading, distraught review of "Jolene", when it would have been a good time to carry it off realllly smoothly and better than before.  She struck me as desperate and not at all professional.  And I like her, too; a lot better than Sarver, as I've duly noted.

Shoot, Megan would be sexier if she didn't have the walking pneumonia and the boogie-woogie flu.  I think with her it begs the question "So.. why the one arm?"

Probably be a good idea not to have a "theme" in a couple weeks...  Those tend to get ugly.  Especially since they can be so stupidly constricting (songs of Neil Diamond..) or misunderstood ("Big Band".. guess I could do something from Bachman Turner Overdrive...) or heeded (Lil Little Roundup) which can be a big mistake.  Or just blown off: Adam's Jeff Buckley (wondered who in the world dreamed up that thing) "Country Serenade".  Or just wrong: like picking a 70's song on "60's Night."  (Not that Paula could tell).

I emphathize and sympathize and bow my head to anyone who subs; Geez Louise there is no job where you could be more "at risk" and in a no-win situation.  Well, except for Scuzzy's, and that's only if there are naked men coming out of the closet.  Not that there's anything wrong with that...  I just found subbing miserable, and hated if the phone actually rang in the morning...  It's like you're subhuman, to the kids.

Ace; you know, I saw that photo of what Charles Manson looks like now on the web today, and he amazingly looked
like Scuzzy.

Ring bells for service.

Ace

While waiting for tonight's send off: I sincerely hope it's Sarver the Meathead.  I will say Adam and Allison were at the top of their games, and Adam's performance was one magic moment.  He could be k.d. lang's brother, as far as visuals and vocals.

I feel Scott and Gokey fading fast... Scott did a great Neil Sedaka (ech.).  And I can't believe no called Gokey on blowing off Smokey's advice and not bothering to sing much, and instead leaning on the back up singers.  Megan is still just weird, and moved and sounded worse than usual.  You'd think Lil blew it by not doing a thing but yelling a lot on what should have been right in her wheelhouse.

While focusing on Purdue's b-ball game, we'll see...

Ace; boiler up.
Ring bells for service.

Ace

From the start, luck would be in order...
I forgot about Kara's word count; that was typical.  You know, we're getting a tanked water heater, tomorrow.  Talk about planned obsolescence...

Ace; never use a big word when a diminutive one would do.
Ring bells for service.

Ace

Sarver can now move on to his bar band/wedding singer career.  And work as a Bouncer, too.
Josh Stone was ok, although something about Smokey really creeps me out.  I don't know if it's the eye color or face lift or hair or what.  I think Ruben Studdard was hiding under Stevie Wonder's coat...

If they made anti-perspirant as a hair spray Ruben should try it...

And thank goodness for Simon Cowell.. I know that sounds like an oxymoron.  But geez Louise, in the deliberations of "should we save Michael Sarver/roughneck?" with the women offering "well, he sounded pretty good just then.." only Simon seemed to have some sense of reason to say "well, no."  And said so.  My gosh, if they would have kept America FROM voting him off I probably would've thrown the remote through the TV...  What is wrong with these two, besides inebriation?

Whew.  Next, One-Arm and Scott face single elimination.  And hopefully Michigan Matt stays behind the piano. 

Ace; hoefully she'll stay covered, and sing better, for Mark.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

The 'save' is once, for the season.  I wouldn't be surprised if the judges are at the mercy of the producers on this issue.  If they use it too early, that bit of drama is gone, for the season.

Bill; the skeptic.

Ace

I hope they use it to bring back Chris Daughtry.  I'm still upset about that year... 

Ace; Paula doesn't look any better in a moustache.
Ring bells for service.