• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

theres a ethernet port but no lan , network support?

Started by halokid, May 27, 2006, 05:58 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

halokid

hi all i have a satellite 1000 s157 from toshiba...
thing is  under devices there are no problems so..
is it a possiblilty that this notebook didnt come with a ethernet capability? all i can find for drivers regaurding internet connection is a modem dial up style....Did they make some dial up inputs the same shape and size  as ethernet inputs?
i also reinstalled video sound and chipset drivers still nothing... i havent worked with notebooks before but  on my desktop i see a "network adapter" under devices but on this thing nothing of the sort.

as always any help would be appreciated:)

freelance

what operatinfg system r u using?

if its win xp then goto start-control panel- network connections. if there is a local area connection icon in there, then the drivers are installed. if ith has two blue monitors on the icon (youll know when u see it) then it is also enabled and all you have to do is plug and play.  if it has two greyed out monitors then you need to right click and click enable.
ok so the following is my pc:
asus M2N4-SLI, athlon X2 5000+ cpu, geforce 7600GT , 80gb MAXTOR SATAII hdd, 4gb ddr2 ram, silverstone edumon (google it and u'll find it!!!) sata dvd rw dual layer, 6x usb 2, and tv card (with video recorder ps2 etc)

Bill

Yes, it is possible that the notebook, by itself, does not have a plugin for an ethernet cable.  My old Dell Latitude didn't come with one either.  
If you have  "dial-up" connection, it's probably a  PCMCIA  modem which is a card that slides into the side of the notebook.  PCMCIA cards also are available for ethernet connection cables.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Norm

halokid

thx peeps, appreciate it...and Norm,  ithink that finalizes it :)
weird though that it has the irght size of sicket in the back.

freelance

ok so the following is my pc:
asus M2N4-SLI, athlon X2 5000+ cpu, geforce 7600GT , 80gb MAXTOR SATAII hdd, 4gb ddr2 ram, silverstone edumon (google it and u'll find it!!!) sata dvd rw dual layer, 6x usb 2, and tv card (with video recorder ps2 etc)