• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

URC R7 Remote Control Review

Started by scuzzy, May 02, 2008, 10:11 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Last January I ordered a Universal Remote Control (URC) R7 from SuperMediaStore. At the time I paid $25.99 with free shipping. As of today, the remote is on sale for $20.99 with free shipping.

I'm not going to go into a deep review with the item, but suffice it to say that I am very pleased with the overall design and functionality of the R7. While not perfect, it is far better than any other affordable remote control that I have tried. I'm not one of those who is willing to spend $100 or more on a remote... I'd rather walk to the TV.

Pros:

• Logical layout of keys
  • Excellent back lighting (buttons are easy to see day or night)
  • Good key spacing and feedback
  • Keys have a rubber feel
  • Punch through function (e.g. TV component can control DVD player; DVD component can control receiver volume, etc.)
  • Fairly easy to program
  • Excellent learning function - reprogram any key
  • Feels solid, comfortable
  • Good range

Cons:

• No dedicated sleep button
  • No dedicated open/close button
  • Can be difficult to determine which way is up in the dark

Other thoughts:

• 7 function keys
  • Somewhat large, considerably heavier toward the bottom
  • Plastic housing with a beautiful gray/silver metallic styling
  • Uses 2 AA batteries
  • Large "LIGHT" key easy to find
  • Comes with DVD user guide (which I never used)

In all I am very happy with this purchase and I find that I can easily recommend it. As a matter of fact, I am taking advantage of the 4-day sale to purchase another URC R7. I've already ordered several items from SuperMediaStore and I am pleased with their service and fast shipping.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor